Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:54 PM

146 posts, read 840,548 times

Advertisements

I'm relatively new to the 516 and have had FiOS for about 7 months. Two young and aggressive Cablevision sales reps came by tonight talking about how we can sit down and look at my FiOS bill and they would deliver the same channels, faster Internet and another HD box for about $50 a month cheaper. They would also eat the FiOS cancellation fee.

When I asked them for a card to call them back they kept on talking.

Anyone get hit up with the same offer recently? Is it valid?

I highly doubt I'll make a change but wanted to get some feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
The Cable Guy: Cable Guy!
Steven Kovacs: [in the shower] Oh, ****!
The Cable Guy: Caable Guuuy!
Steven Kovacs: I'm coming!
[grabs a towel, heads for the door]
The Cable Guy: [yells] Caaable guuuy!
Steven Kovacs: Don't leave!
[Steven reaches the door, peeks outside]
The Cable Guy: [leaving, sounding angry] Jesu Cristo!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
STAY AWAY FROM CABLEVISION. All their services are inferior to Fios. If I saw one of those walking salesman bothering me I'd tell them to leave. If they come back charge them with tresspassing!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:14 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
I got the same thing except it was the Verizon FIOS guy guy coming to my door. It was very annoying.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:14 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
Cablevision was canvassing my neighborhood a few weeks ago - they would ring my doorbell every day and when I did not answer, they would leave a flyer on my doorknob. I spoke to the lady finally and told her that whatever deal Cablevision had did not matter, since the service was so much better with Verizon Fios. Also, when I switched to Fios, Cablevision started calling me probably on a weekly basis to try and get me to switch back. My message to everyone there is the same: you should have paid more attention and listened to me when I was calling to complain about service problems and also that I never qualified for the triple play, being an early adopter of Cablevision services (what a way to reward loyalty!). Once Brookhaven town approves Fios, I think there is going to be a mass exodus away from Cablevision out here - I wonder what Cablevision is going to do to make up for the lost business?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 AM

113 posts, read 438,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Once Brookhaven town approves Fios, I think there is going to be a mass exodus away from Cablevision out here - I wonder what Cablevision is going to do to make up for the lost business?
Probably remove more channels and raise the prices!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
When Cablevision calls, just tell them if they give you 6 months free cable, you'll think about coming back. That should stop the harassment via phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Cablevision was canvassing my neighborhood a few weeks ago - they would ring my doorbell every day and when I did not answer, they would leave a flyer on my doorknob. I spoke to the lady finally and told her that whatever deal Cablevision had did not matter, since the service was so much better with Verizon Fios. Also, when I switched to Fios, Cablevision started calling me probably on a weekly basis to try and get me to switch back. My message to everyone there is the same: you should have paid more attention and listened to me when I was calling to complain about service problems and also that I never qualified for the triple play, being an early adopter of Cablevision services (what a way to reward loyalty!). Once Brookhaven town approves Fios, I think there is going to be a mass exodus away from Cablevision out here - I wonder what Cablevision is going to do to make up for the lost business?

Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
You guys must be important. My cable bill keeps going up and cablevision told me to go pound sand when I asked them to lower it. I need to do the "Call and cancel" thing again but it's getting old.
A friend works for Cablevision and I was complaining to him and he said FIOS raises their prices after a few months and charges a $200 disconnect/terminiation fee. I laughed and explained that I could keep FIOS for 3 months and sign up for Cablevision for $99 per month, saving $80 per month instantly. If I pay the $200 FIOS fee, i'm still $750 ahead!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
The only way to beat cable is to actually cancel the account. They absolutely will not help longtime loyal customers. Only "new" customers. Great business philosophy right?

I switched to FIOS, and I'm happy. Aside from a few flyers in the mail, cable has not yet tried to woo me back. Ha, they were probabally glad I left.
My father signed up for FIOS, and called cable with the activation#, then cable was willing to deal. He got a great deal with cable so he stuck with them.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:32 PM

73 posts, read 292,442 times
They hit my area twice in the past year. I decided to listen to what he had to say and it was cheaper but I love the deal I got from Verizon (I get triple play with 20 up-20 down internet service which I don't think is even offered anymore for $103/mo). If internet wasn't so important to me, I might have considered it but Cablevision's internet service sucks during peak times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island