Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 PM

19 posts, read 45,389 times

Advertisements

If an agent runs comps on a home, are they looking at homes CURRENTLY for sale or homes that have recently been sold?

I would think it would make more sense to go by sold homes, because you can list your home for whatever, but that certainly doesn't mean someone will get that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,476 times
If they are any good it would be recent sale prices, along with what it listed for.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,997 times
they are supposed to use ssold homes excluding those that were in foreclosure or some other distress situation. Its supposed to be based on fair market value.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,602,731 times
Every time I have either bought or sold a home, my agent has included both recent sales and current listings in the comp sheets.

That said, there can be a wide range of difference between one agent and another regarding the definitions of both "recent" and "comparable".

Sometimes it's just not possible to get good comps using only recent sales (depending on the house in question being comp'd). Some are very very difficult to comp at all.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:07 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
If it is for a buyer, I will focus on closed sales, as that is the most relevant information.

If it is for a seller, I will included closed sales (because that is what they can reasonably expect to get), expired listings (so that they can see that if they price too high their home will not sell), and homes on the market (because that is the competition).

Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM

125 posts, read 440,744 times
It's supposed to be sales within the last 6 months to the present. And the qualifications are getting very strict (i.e., the comps have to meet certain requirements to be accepted, i.e., same style house, same # of BR, certain distance from original house, etc.). If the minimum number of comps is not producing fair results, the appraiser will look at more houses. We actually had our PMI insurance DENIED b/c the comps were not accepted in relation to the appraisal. Apparently "they" are getting very strict. We lost the deal.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,503 times
When I was selling my house, I toyed with the idea of listing it for $1 but didn't have the guts. I figured, let the buyers tell me what my house is worth. If they could offer me a valid offer and show how they came up with said offer, I would sell them my house.
They are doing the research already, yes? They already know what they can or are willing to spend, yes? They will use the same comps I have access to, yes?
I think more people need to think outside the box when it comes to real estate.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
It's supposed to be sales within the last 6 months to the present. And the qualifications are getting very strict (i.e., the comps have to meet certain requirements to be accepted, i.e., same style house, same # of BR, certain distance from original house, etc.). If the minimum number of comps is not producing fair results, the appraiser will look at more houses.
We are currently considered a "declining market"; at this point, lenders are looking for appraisals based on sales no more than three months back, if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
We actually had our PMI insurance DENIED b/c the comps were not accepted in relation to the appraisal. Apparently "they" are getting very strict. We lost the deal.
Because of the newly enacted law with regard to appraisals (effective May 1st), you are not alone - appraisers are very conservative in their valuation. In addition, since the lenders don't have direct contact with the appraiser prior to the appraisal (work is being assigned via a pool), you can't even be sure that the appraiser is familiar with a specific "neighborhood"--which can make quite a difference on Long Island...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
When I was selling my house, I toyed with the idea of listing it for $1 but didn't have the guts. I figured, let the buyers tell me what my house is worth. If they could offer me a valid offer and show how they came up with said offer, I would sell them my house.
They are doing the research already, yes? They already know what they can or are willing to spend, yes? They will use the same comps I have access to, yes?
I think more people need to think outside the box when it comes to real estate.
Your idea is basically a very good one, from a marketing point, though not with a starting amount of $1
Occasionally, a house is being offered "below" market and ends up being sold for more, with multiple offers--the "market" has a way of finding its own value...

Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
Also, auctions seem to be making a resurgence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island