Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM

78 posts, read 203,184 times

Advertisements

For anyone that has this commute or a very similar one in the location, am I safe in assuming it would take me about 1.5 hours door to door including driving and parking? It looks like Centerport, south of 25A is only a few miles from the station and the train take about an hour to Penn.

How is parking at the Huntington Station? Is it a mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
More like 2, it took me 2 from Huntington, north of the village, to Park Ave and 40th.

Huntington parking is better with the new structure, anyone remember parking on 110, north of the station and walking to the station?, but if you take a popular, early train, say 6:46-7:46 you will find stiff competition.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
More like 2, it took me 2 from Huntington, north of the village, to Park Ave and 40th.

Huntington parking is better with the new structure, anyone remember parking on 110, north of the station and walking to the station?, but if you take a popular, early train, say 6:46-7:46 you will find stiff competition.
Ugh, getting over to the east side of Manhattan is tough for LIRR people. Do you still commute or does your calculation include that walk down south on 110?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:22 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
Ugh is right-no I left NYC commute for a LI job in the late 90s. I left LI all together in early 2006. No more commute for me!! But living in Huntington, I was near the station often, and saw the cars lining up as I passed, or picked up a friend, or family member.

Honestly I stopped Huntington and went to CSH for the last 2 years of the commute-gave me less time on the train, and more in the comfort of my car.

Also, I assume that there are MORE people using the train now than in my day, making parking harder. When we were looking for houses on LI in '94, we wanted Centerport, but decided, just because of the train and our 15-hour work days, that Huntington was AS FAR east as we would go.

good luck, and happy commuting

Old 01-10-2008, 04:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Default commuting on the lirr

I have been commuting that long for 28 years . Finally, I will retire in June. I could keep on working forever, but the commute.....
The funny thing is that people say, " but all you do is just sit there on the train...." . Only another commuter realizes how tiresome and stressful it is.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
I used to work at Madison and 27th and it took me 2.5 hours one way back in 1979. That's 5 hours/round trip. I lived in North Huntington, 7 minutes to train station, 5 minutes to park, 7 minutes to walk to station, at least 1 hour 10 minutes to Penn on the train, and then I walked a mile to get to work - no direct transportation from Penn to my destination. The crowds were ridiculous - a real cattle call. Total mob scene. On a good day it was tolerable, but on a rainy day it was awful. I lasted approximately 2 years commuting on the RR and then couldn't take it anymore.

Took a job on LI (they are more difficult to find, but the relief is worth it) and it seemed like being on vacation driving to work.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM

80 posts, read 306,631 times
Trahsub, I did that commute 1998-2001. Aside from where exactly in Centerport you live it depends largely on 4 things:

1) What time would you leave for work in the morning?
2) What time would you leave from work in the evening?
3) Where exactly in Manhattan is your office?
4) How fast do you drive? (lol)

I lived in on Jefferson Street in the President's section of Centerport - an approximate 12 minute drive to the HUNTINGTON train. I worked at 42nd and Seventh - a 15 minute walk from Penn Station. Regardless of the train it took me about 90 minutes from my garage door to my office door on the 26th floor. Any train later than the 7:12pm, I'd have to park across the street. Take a 6-6:30am train? Easy covered parking.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Trahsub, I did that commute 1998-2001. Aside from where exactly in Centerport you live it depends largely on 4 things:

1) What time would you leave for work in the morning?
2) What time would you leave from work in the evening?
3) Where exactly in Manhattan is your office?
4) How fast do you drive? (lol)

I lived in on Jefferson Street in the President's section of Centerport - an approximate 12 minute drive to the HUNTINGTON train. I worked at 42nd and Seventh - a 15 minute walk from Penn Station. Regardless of the train it took me about 90 minutes from my garage door to my office door on the 26th floor. Any train later than the 7:12pm, I'd have to park across the street. Take a 6-6:30am train? Easy covered parking.
1) Would likely take a train after 7:30 so I figure parking would be filled up.
2) Probably leave NYC at 5:30.
3) Office is downtown - I take the 1 to South Ferry or the 4/5 to Bowling Green from Brooklyn. This part of the trip take about 15 mins.

I'm zeroing in on the area of Centerport north of Pulaski and south for 25A. Look like this may be about a 5 min drive to the Huntington station.

My other thought - how are the houses that are walking distance to the Greenlawn station? From google earth they look like farily small plots, but eliminating the car piece of the commute could be nice.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,419 times
If you are taking a train after 7:30, you would be parked at the end of the long lot across the street at Huntington Station, by the apartments. The walk from the car to the train alone would take a good five minutes. Maybe more, since you'd have to wait for the light to cross the street. There is a Huntington to Brooklyn direct train at 6:38 a.m., if you could adjust your schedule accordingly. From that part of Centerport, the drive is really closer to 10 minutes or a little more. You have to factor in things like stop signs and speed limits. If you are traveling to the station on Old Field (which I assume you are, from that area), you have to remember to take it slow because it's a narrow, curving road with blind turns, and poorly lit. There is also a new stop sign on Dunlop, and there are a couple of lights. Leaving the office at 5:30 should present you with a number of options for trains home. But the poster above who said it's more like 2 hours each way, all told, is on the money. I have done this commute too and it's not an easy one at all. It's debilitating. As for the houses within walking distance of the Greenlawn station, obviously you are out of Centerport at that point. Don't know if that matters to you. Yes, most of those plots are small and a couple of the streets aren't that attractive over there, although there are others that are pretty, like East Maple (which is getting farther away). There are a few pretty streets and courts tucked in around the library as well. The Greenlawn train schedule is fine if your commute occurs at rush hour exclusively, but if you plan on returning from the city midday at times, it's awful, because you could wait a long time between midday trains to Greenlawn, and the ride is very, very long because the trains at those hours are all locals.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM

20 posts, read 102,283 times
The Greenlawn train station is very underrated. There are plenty of nice house in Greenlawn that are in walking distance of the train station. And the schedule is pretty good, especially for the regular commuting hours. On the rare time you stay really late and the schedule doesn't work, you can take a cab from Huntington, it's not a big deal. I really like the Greenlawn trainstation. And remember, if you're in walking distance to the train station you're also in walking distance to the High School, probably the library, and the restaurants and everything in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island