Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 AM

25 posts, read 66,873 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a potential job in Hauppauge and trying to get a feel for the area. From what I've read on here, it doesn't sound like we would want to live in Hauppauge, so I am trying to figure out what area would be best for us. My husband and I are mid-30s, no children, and are more interested in a place that has a city-type feel than a suburb-type feel - that is, we don't want to have to get in the car and drive every time we want to go someplace. Being able to walk to bars and restuarants and shopping is key. I don't want a bad commute - I'd like to keep it under 30 minutes if at all possible. We would probably like to rent for now, and preferably not in a large apartment complex but maybe a small house or duplex or something like that. Does such a place exist or am I dreaming?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymiles View Post
I am looking at a potential job in Hauppauge and trying to get a feel for the area. From what I've read on here, it doesn't sound like we would want to live in Hauppauge, so I am trying to figure out what area would be best for us. My husband and I are mid-30s, no children, and are more interested in a place that has a city-type feel than a suburb-type feel - that is, we don't want to have to get in the car and drive every time we want to go someplace. Being able to walk to bars and restuarants and shopping is key. I don't want a bad commute - I'd like to keep it under 30 minutes if at all possible. We would probably like to rent for now, and preferably not in a large apartment complex but maybe a small house or duplex or something like that. Does such a place exist or am I dreaming?

Thank you!
This is not what about 90% of LI is known for, but they are out there. You really can't get a "city" feel , but you can get a village feel. A city feel would be Central Islip or Brentwood around Suffolk Avenue..that's if you like the Bronx.

Huntington Village, Northport Village, Sayville, Islip, maybe Patchogue, Bay Shore, Port Jefferson.

Port Jefferson might be pushing 30 minutes. These areas have "down town" walkable main streets, although Sayville and Islip's are small. Patchogue and Bay Shore are more rough around the edges, Huntington Sayville and Port Jefferson more upscale. Take a drive to these areas and walk around.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
i agree with dman, those would be my exact suggestions.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 AM

270 posts, read 969,409 times
Came here to suggest what Dman72 already suggested. You won't find an urban feel around Hauppauge, but if you want the convenience of being able to go to the restaurants, bars, theaters, shops simply by walking, then Huntington Village is probably the best option - the other suggestions are also viable to an extent.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,407 times
Although it's not nearly as extensive as either Huntington Village, Sayville, or Bablyon Village, what about something within a few blocks of "downtown" (for lack of a better word) Smithtown or Village of the Branch? Both are literally right next to Hauppauge and so the commute would be 10 minutes or less. LIRR is right there for easy access to NYC. Walkable to all basic daily retail, plus the Smithtown Library and houses of worship if needed.

There is a brand-new townhouse-style rental complex right in Smithtown but I'm not sure if they are straight rentals, co-ops or condos. I noticed them a few months ago when I took something to The Frame Center which is on the adjacent corner.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
I agree with everything noted, and the only other recommendation I would have (and a weak one at that) would be somewhere right around Main street in Smithtown. You can walk to all restaurants, grocery stores and area parks, and maybe find the bottom half of an older victorian or colonial home off of main street to rent. I would in no way compare the available amenities though to Northport village, Sayville, huntington, or a downtown Port Jeff.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
"Jinx" Totallyfrazzzled...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
"Jinx" Totallyfrazzzled...
Great minds think alike, you know!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 AM

302 posts, read 961,371 times
I second babylon village, great village, shoping, bars/restaurants and beatiful waterviews down Fire Island avenue.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I think Smithtown is a legitimate response. You can walk to just about everything you need if you live near main st: library, groceries, parks, bars, multiple restaurants, etc. It's just that a very busy road that is heavily commuted runs through it, which I guess it shares with Huntington. Village. And I left out Babylon, which is a definite one to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island