Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times

Advertisements

The Catholic Church has 1 Billion members. It's not going away anytime soon..nor should it. It was here long before you and will be around long after you are gone. Any organization that big is going to have some rotten apples...too bad people use those incidents as an indictment of all the good work that is done.

The Catholic bashing on here is almost hilarious. Imagine if folks on here spewed such things about the Jewish faith or other religions? Unbelievable.

Let's assume someone on here began writing about the Federal Sting in NJ and all the Rabbis involved. Then they started saying that all Rabbis were crooks that laundered money.

That's the same type of small minded BS that this thread has evolved into.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Yea....right.....what visible signs were there when all the other kids were molested......no one knew till the kids came forward years later.
The point I was trying to make that it is absolutely disgusting that the clergy never took the time to interact with the kids. Class play, Drama club play, visit to the classroom, nothing.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
The Catholic Church has 1 Billion members. It's not going away anytime soon..nor should it. It was here long before you and will be around long after you are gone. Any organization that big is going to have some rotten apples...too bad people use those incidents as an indictment of all the good work that is done.

The Catholic bashing on here is almost hilarious. Imagine if folks on here spewed such things about the Jewish faith or other religions? Unbelievable.

Let's assume someone on here began writing about the Federal Sting in NJ and all the Rabbis involved. Then they started saying that all Rabbis were crooks that laundered money.

So do you think that my complaint is not valid? Wouldn't you be offended if they closed the doors at your job and your boss or owner never said anything to the staff?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:52 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

Right on target. Most of the people who do the bashing here are probably not regular church goers (of any faith) and seem to be comfortable with the lynch mob mentality that regularly trashes the Catholic religion. Your example is good...can you imagine the outcry if the Jews or Muslims were bashed on this forum? Anti-Catholic bias has been around for centuries and generally fomented by those who neither understand nor practice the faith.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
So do you think that my complaint is not valid? Wouldn't you be offended if they closed the doors at your job and your boss or owner never said anything to the staff?
I have to assume that the closing of the school did not come as a complete surprise to the staff. Most teachers and administrators know when a school is in trouble, primarily based on the number of students. There is a threshold below which the school isn't viable financially and parish support for the school has reached its max. That's when the Diocese steps in and makes the decision to close it.

As far as interactions with the clergy, there could be a thousand and one reasons why things didn't go as you hoped or expected. Give them the benefit of the doubt. The pastor is saddled with a tremendous amount of responsibility, both on the lay and pastoral sides of the church.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
The point I was trying to make that it is absolutely disgusting that the clergy never took the time to interact with the kids. Class play, Drama club play, visit to the classroom, nothing.

And the point I was trying to make was that apparently the clergy has had far too much inappropriate interation with the kids......

Old 07-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
How can anyone with half a brain trust the church of any religion or have any belief of whats being offered......science has proven evolution and we all know the earth is more than 6000 years old as the Bible would have you believe.....Face it....thats your main reason why the younger generation today are walking away from the church....its just not believeable anymore.
That's why it's called faith. Do you think that the younger generation walking away is something new? Not a chance. It's been going on for decades. The interesting part is how many of the younger generation return to church once they start having families and gain some more life experience.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
And the point I was trying to make was that apparently the clergy has had far too much inappropriate interation with the kids......
And so have protestant clergy, and teachers, and others in public trust positions that aren't clergy. What's your point?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
And so have protestant clergy, and teachers, and others in public trust positions that aren't clergy. What's your point?

Yes....your right......some other clergy, teachers, etc have had their problems too.......but these are more isolated incidences and certainly not anywhere near the numbers of pedifile catholic priests...I guess the point is that because catholic priests are forced live and un-natural life style its like a big magnet to "undesirable" candidates and the church seems to ignor that.....if you want to get technical it even goes against Gods plan of go forth and multiply.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:

So I guess you do not understand my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island