Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,605 times

Advertisements

1010wins.com - Nassau County Releases Locations of 20 Red Light Cameras (http://www.1010wins.com/20-Red-Light-Cameras-Installed-Across-Nassau-Count/4937171 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:40 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times
just buy the spray that prevents the cameras from taking your photos. or take the plates off and sand down the top, reflective layer of enemal that reflects the camera's flash.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
just buy the spray that prevents the cameras from taking your photos. or take the plates off and sand down the top, reflective layer of enemal that reflects the camera's flash.
I keep hearing some people say it doesn't work and yet others swear by it lol...

Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,742 times
They're gambling on the fact that a majority of the idiots who drive daily on LI may actually obey traffic laws. Not likely but very good for revenue accrual

Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,742 times
So u can beat that yellow light & broadside a minivan w/ 4 kids in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post

Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
So u can beat that yellow light & broadside a minivan w/ 4 kids in it
I dont believe those camera are 100% legit. what if you are stuck in traffic and in the middle of the road when the camera snaps? technically you didnt blow the light but you were stuck in the intersection. you have to pay the ticket. no way out. now, do you think thats fair. I DON'T.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM

18 posts, read 121,950 times
How do the cameras distinguish when somebody runs the red and someone is making the legal right turn on red? If the light is red, and you make a right turn, isn't that seen by the camera as running the red light?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,668 times
Last year they installed about 6 Red light cameras in my city down here in Florida. It took them a few weeks to work the kinks out and there was a "grace period" for offenders. Basically, they had to time the lights, account for turn on red intersections, No turn on red intersections, arrow turns, flow of traffic, etc. However, now that all the trouble is worked out, the city is in FULL REVENUE SWING. The company that installs the lights is probably a company out of Scottsdale, AZ called American Traffic Solutions. They are a pretty big player in this. The company installs the lights for free and handles maintenance and other basic services. In return, they get a cut of the revenue. I am not sure what city/county would not embrace this because they do nothing other than pay some of the revenue generated. It is different for every city probably but here in Florida, in my city, the offense will run you $125. No points on your license or anything as far as I know.

Here is how it works (or is supposed to):

You approach a light that is turning yellow or is changing as you are approaching the intersection. If you opt to go through, the intersection is supposed to be on a delay. My city has a three second delay to account for people stuck in the intersection as its changing, making a turn as its changing, or what not. At that point, the camera takes a picture of the intersection if there are any cars in the box. Someone reviews the file footage and if it is deemed you ran the light, you get a notice in the mail.
I have seen trucks that are just going too fast to stop on a dime blow through intersections where the lights have changed to steady red and sometimes I see the flash and sometimes I do not. I have also seen these things flash when someone is making a turn on red even if its allowed. I am not sure if these people get tickets but I assume no because they did nothing wrong. As with anything, you can fight it, appeal and have it reviewed I believe. I am actually curious who reviews the video; an actual sheriff/deputy or some civilian city employee.

I do not think this improves traffic flow, safety or anything else. This is revenue, pure and simple. The lights here have been in place for about 6-8 months officially and the City of Palm Coast has generated almost 1 million in revenue. It was in our local daily blab newspaper about a month ago. The town takes that money and turns it over on road improvment projects that need funding or that are on the docket. So, you do see your money in action, as they are doing a lot of road maintenance and such, but I feel its coming at a hefty price. I also am curious to see if the increase in rear end collisions is up since people paranoid about getting bagged in the intersection stop and the person behind them is thinking go and bang! I know there are times I have stopped and the person behind me was not planning to do the same but are forced to. I have also had to accelerate a bit for fear I would get caught in at a signal that is destined to change as soon as I enter the intersection.

Here is an article about the lights from the bigger Daytona Beach paper that covers the area and county. Its about a year old but it gives you an idea of what to expect. There is also a picture of the red light camera. They are very inconspicuous.

Videos - newsjournalonline.com (http://www.news-journalonline.com/media/video/red_light_cameras.htm - broken link)

Last edited by Samrai309; 08-04-2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
I went thru' one at 2 am coming back from work on Linden Blvd in Brooklyn.... for people who have any doubts.... its indisputable evidence if the cameras are installed properly.
Picture one is a shot of my car before I am entering the intersection (with the light red). There is a timestamp on it.
Picture 2 is of me in the middle of the intersection, and picture 3 is me on the other side if the intersection, with a timestamp (obviously its still red !)
cost of offence = $100. I remember some flashes and I was kinda expecting it.

Note: I screwed up, but this happened as the light was turning from a yellow to a red, no excuse.... but it would have been a lot worse if the traffic had started from the other side and then I went through the light.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:18 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
what I think is the funniest( or maybe saddest) thing about these, is that nassau county is BANKING on them... they EXPECT 12 million in revenue from them, and the HAVE ALREADY INCLUDED IT IN THE BUDGET....what happens if it only takes in 6 million????.....another budget setback???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island