Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
What I don't like about this whole "helicopter parent" attitude is that it makes you paranoid as a parent. You can't parent according to the abilitity and maturity of your child, you have to do it by the standards of the most paranoid people around you. If you are a caring and attentive parent you are the one who knows best what your child is/isn't capable of. This women seems to to not really care about her kids and that is different from a caring parent that wants to give their child a degree of responsibility that they know they are capable of.
Wow, what a thread. We even managed to whip out the beaten horse of "LI sucks"...which is referenced on about 10000000000 threads.

For every kid who was given "freedom" who is now a fancy VP there is a "restricted" kid who is just as successful, and vice versa. Making arguments that kids with suffocating parents and too many rules all go off and have 10 kids out of wedlock and become drug users can easily be countered with the unsupervised stoner who was getting high at 13 and ended-up being a forever tenant of their parents basement. People are who they will be.

The original post concerning this particular instance I feel was off target. In this particular case it appeared to be neglect...how this means that we now live in a police state is beyond me. If a public pool has a sign that all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, then those are the rules at the pool. Seems simple enough to me. Go to a different pool if you prefer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Wow, what a thread. We even managed to whip out the beaten horse of "LI sucks"...which is referenced on about 10000000000 threads.

For every kid who was given "freedom" who is now a fancy VP there is a "restricted" kid who is just as successful, and vice versa. Making arguments that kids with suffocating parents and too many rules all go off and have 10 kids out of wedlock and become drug users can easily be countered with the unsupervised stoner who was getting high at 13 and ended-up being a forever tenant of their parents basement. People are who they will be.

The original post concerning this particular instance I feel was off target. In this particular case it appeared to be neglect...how this means that we now live in a police state is beyond me. If a public pool has a sign that all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, then those are the rules at the pool. Seems simple enough to me. Go to a different pool if you prefer...
It's not even about the pool's rules...most pools have the same rules anyway...b/c it's COMMON SENSE. This mom should have known better...what an idiotic thing to do!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
This should settle this issue once and for all:

The official guidelines on supervision from the State of New York, 12 or 13 seems to be the minimum age to be left alone or watch younger siblings:
Frequently Asked Questions - Child Abuse Prevention - New York State Office of Children & Family Services

So yes, this women was outside the law. Enough so to be arrested? Again that is a judgement call. It may be because she admitted to doing it repeatedly, the number of children involved and the length of time (8 hours).

Schneiders Children's Hospital and the Red Cross offer courses for 11 year olds to take to be babysitters, so maybe this women didn't think she was radically outside the law.

Babysitting

Old 08-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
This should settle this issue once and for all:

The official guidelines on supervision from the State of New York, 12 or 13 seems to be the minimum age to be left alone or watch younger siblings:
Frequently Asked Questions - Child Abuse Prevention - New York State Office of Children & Family Services

So yes, this women was outside the law. Enough so to be arrested? Again that is a judgement call. It may be because she admitted to doing it repeatedly, the number of children involved and the length of time (8 hours).

Schneiders Children's Hospital and the Red Cross offer courses for 11 year olds to take to be babysitters, so maybe this women didn't think she was radically outside the law.

Babysitting
ok, but chances are her 11-year-old didn't take that course...so it's probably irrelevant.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ok, but chances are her 11-year-old didn't take that course...so it's probably irrelevant.
No but it shows that safety experts believe that at least some 11 year olds are mature enough to watch not only themselves but others for short periods of time.

If I went out for an evening, I probably wouldn't hire a babysitter under 16, but I remember babysitting myself at 14, and handled it just fine.

I wasn't allowed at home alone if my parents went away for weekend until I had my drivers license (16 1/2).

Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
No but it shows that safety experts believe that at least some 11 year olds are mature enough to watch not only themselves but others for short periods of time.

If I went out for an evening, I probably wouldn't hire a babysitter under 16, but I remember babysitting myself at 14, and handled it just fine.

I wasn't allowed at home alone if my parents went away for weekend until I had my drivers license (16 1/2).
all day is not a short period of time

Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
short periods of time being the key phrase. I also imagine that the ideal setting for such a scenario is the 11 year old's home and not a public place and espeically not a public pool.

Last edited by S.I.B.; 08-26-2009 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
all day is not a short period of time
I agree, I would not leave small children in the care of an 11 year old in a public place where there are many people coming and going.

But where do you draw the line? Would it be ok for an 11 year old to watch them in the yard while you (the adult) are home in the house? I would say yes, if they were a mature 11 year old and unquestionably yes if the yard was fenced. A good way for an older child to gain experience caring for children in a safe setting.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I agree, I would not leave small children in the care of an 11 year old in a public place where there are many people coming and going.

But where do you draw the line? Would it be ok for an 11 year old to watch them in the yard while you (the adult) are home in the house? I would say yes, if they were a mature 11 year old and unquestionably yes if the yard was fenced. A good way for an older child to gain experience caring for children in a safe setting.
yard yes...a yard with a pool I would be a little more reluctant about but would probably be ok with it ultimately...a public place like a pool, def. not.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
yard yes...a yard with a pool I would be a little more reluctant about but would probably be ok with it ultimately...a public place like a pool, def. not.
Ok, so we are basically are in in agreement.

That was fun, I think I missed my calling as a defense attorney

Seriously i just wanted to know exactly where people stood on this issue in this day in age. My children are very young (under 5) and I don't have to deal with these issues yet (they are still unquestionably in the total supervision stage), however I will have to someday and see that the standards here on Long Island are somewhat different than the time and place where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island