Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times

Advertisements

Still trying to figure out what basis the OP had for asking why there are so many homes for sale in North Merrick. Compared to what? Half of LI is for sale, get in while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Looks like another community invaded by illegals, probably spilling over from Freeport. They are cancer that really needs to be treated and eradicated. Pretty soon LI will be ruined, I give it under 10 years to remain as a desirable place to live. Visit Southern CA and LA and see what our future is. The signs are already all over.
I'm assuming due to your very imaginative username that you don't live N. Merrick. So please keep these "hearsays" to yourself especially if you've never actually resided in the these towns you want to bash. All I keep reading from your posts is disdain for "illegals", where in truth is probably hatred for "non-whites".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen919ifer View Post
I hear about a lot of house burglaries in N Merrick, more then any of the neighboring towns....
Keyword to your post - "I hear" = rumormongering. OMG...let me get out of this town because there were burglaries reported in News 12 (sarcasm).

We moved here from the city because of the schools and the affordable houses...even though the trade-off were high taxes. What I didn't expect is still the high existence of racism, whether its outright or worst...closet racists. If we could afford it, I would move back to the city in a heartbeat. One of the worsts threads I've read here was the one where Roosevelt Field is going down the drain and is a dangerous place to go because "obnoxious, gang-type" coloreds are now hanging out there (wow, just wow).

Old 10-09-2009, 11:18 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Incidents like this will trigger white flight. There is this myth of diversity that different ethnics and cultures can live together in peace and harmony. They may live together but it is not a community.

A community may have some diversity but there is always a dominant ethnic culture that holds sway over the social interactions of the area. The diversity ethnics are subservient to the dominant culture. When blacks move into a affluent suburban WASPy areas they share the liberal values of the dominant national secular culture. These neighborhoods can accept various races with ease because that the dominant culture is never threatened as it is protected by the high cost of the area. They can practice their racism without any risk of looking downscale overly racist.

The problem with working class ethnic neighborhoods is that the ethnics have their own unique culture that requires their own area. There is no dollar cost protection that keeps out invading ethnics from other cultures. The criminal element can be wielded like a tool to scare these people into fleeing the area. They are often painted as racists when they desire to be around like-minded people, something everyone needs.

The love of community is the same reasons why blacks cluster in Southeastern Queens even when they can afford to live in more expensive areas. Blacks like all groups like to live with the comfort of living with their own people. The working class white ethnics enjoy this sense of community too but they have issues expressing this and often fall into the trap of overt racism in their challenge to express their love of like minded people. They are often colored as racists in the media like what is happening in Suffolk,this is a good indicator that real estate concerns are looking to ethnically flip an area.

A neighborhood like N Merrick will reach a tipping point when the old residents are no longer the dominant culture and they will all flee as housing values plummet and real estate brokers are able to "flip" the neighborhood for fire sale prices. There will then be a transitional period of diversity while the white flight completes the cycle. Then in a few years it will become an homogeneous ethnic neighborhood once again but all black or all latino. There will never be stable diversity it only exists in urban planning textboks.
I think Port Washington is one of the few communities in this area that is both diverse and stable. The school district has remianed in the 30% minority range for several decades now and whites continue to move into district ensuring that it will remain truly diverse in the coming decades.

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0404030000.pdf

My son goes to school with old wealthy WASP families from Sands Point, Upper Middle class professional Jews and Asians, Middle class Italian and Irish teacher's/cops kids, working class Hispanics from Manorhaven and poor black kids from Harbor Homes. My son will get learn about all types of people and get an education in a good school district to boot!

The minute I dropped my old style ideas about race and class (that unfortunately are all too common where I grew up in Buffalo) the happier I became living here.

We have a sense of community here that is not simply based on race, class or ethnic background. I'm proud to live in Port!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 PM

224 posts, read 675,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbk2 View Post
I'm actually impressed by that song. Usually the local rap guys are awful, but this song is well done.

If you like hardcore street rap, that is. I do.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,976 times
Have lived in North Merrick for 14 years, and yes, the demographic is changing - just drive along Meadowbrook Road, you will see. And white flight is beginning because of it - so many houses for sale along that stretch of road and the nearby streets, all within the past few months. Crime rate is soaring, many home burglaries (including my own), and now with the purse snatchers....

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 AM

27 posts, read 74,055 times
You sound like a fear monger. kind of hard to believe you since this is your first and only post. How about some proof?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
its because of the knickers... not pants...not shorts....I don't want to live next to them!!!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalou1962 View Post
Have lived in North Merrick for 14 years, and yes, the demographic is changing - just drive along Meadowbrook Road, you will see. And white flight is beginning because of it - so many houses for sale along that stretch of road and the nearby streets, all within the past few months. Crime rate is soaring, many home burglaries (including my own), and now with the purse snatchers....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlalac View Post
You sound like a fear monger. kind of hard to believe you since this is your first and only post. How about some proof?

The west side of Merrick (bordering Roosevelt/Freeport) along with North Merrick is certainly not the same safe area it once was. 5 burglaries in one week, I know the family of one of the victims.

Crime Report: Five Home Burglaries in a Week - Merrick, NY Patch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island