Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM

97 posts, read 312,432 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been looking into, but I'm seeing that people are pissed off with Brinks, ADT and Slomin, lol.... Do you guys have any reccomendations based on experience and more importantly, how much does it cost?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Get a cat.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM

97 posts, read 312,432 times
lol, that was kind of funny, but not really.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
lol, that was kind of funny, but not really.
Well at least no one would get in, including you.

All kidding aside, AlarmTech is also another one, they're based in Hauppauge. Not sure what their cost is. But they do have a central station that you're hooked up to, just like the others you mentioned.

Those are the main ones I know of. Of course you can do it yourself, but I assume you're looking for some sort of a central station to monitor it. If you're going for that, you should get the carbon monoxide and fire monitoring as well. Also, depending on where they place the CO, you should add a second and or third (depending if you have kids or a relative) CO detector.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM

I should add that the cost will be based on what you want. You have to factor in how many entrances into the home you want to cover as well as the number of windows and also if you want a motion sensor or not, battery backup, etc...., central station monitoring, fire monitoring, CO monitoring. If you have a pet, that is a factor as some larger dogs will set off a motion sensor whereas a small dog (yorkie) may not.

See if they'll give a free estimate. They come to your place and do a walk through with you.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM

44 posts, read 60,171 times
Get yourself a shotgun. Easier than a handgun, idiot proof, and you won't have to worry about over-penetration. Plus, the sound it makes when you rack a round into the chamber is priceless when it comes to a deterrent.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
This is all u need.
Security SignS w/ 6 window decals & adt'l options - eBay (item 290350727378 end time Sep-19-09 15:09:56 PDT)

Those $30+ a month home security systems are a waste.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 PM

200 posts, read 618,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
This is something I've been looking into, but I'm seeing that people are pissed off with Brinks, ADT and Slomin, lol.... Do you guys have any reccomendations based on experience and more importantly, how much does it cost?

Thanks
If you are handy, you can put the system in yourself, and there is a company that will give you technical support, if you use their Central Station.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
I use a guy who works for himself doing installations and it ties into a central station, so it's basically the same as any big company can offer you. They call the house first right away about alarms, then if they don't get the right "password" or if they get no answer they call the police. Same as any other service. We've used him for 2 homes and he's very competent. Central station monitoring is only about $12/mo. PM me if you want his contact info.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Those $30+ a month home security systems are a waste.
To have a system w/ central station at all is a good benefit in that you can be at work or just out on a weekend and they'll call you on your designated alternate phone number (ie. cell) and let you know police are on their way to your house. We were in Maui when it happened to us and we called a relative over to check things out after police did a visual check of doors and windows (they don't breach if not already). Another thing is if you have a break-in, and you're unable to call for help, the system does it for you. The blaring alarm in the middle of the night will also attract attention. And not all monitoring services cost $30. I will agree that the sign outside is also a deterrent but at least if they are brazen enough, you won't have to fend for yourself.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-17-2009 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island