Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of wealth in this area. When even the junkiest houses on the outer fringes of the community fetch 400-450K, certain income cut-offs are imposed.

That said, I feel that people in the 3 villages still strive after middle class ideals. The guy next door is a big shot lawyer, yet rakes his own leaves each saturday. The RE developer down the street obsesses with his lawn and is fanatical about his holiday lights. Despite the wealth people seem down to earth. It's not uncommon for little Suzy to set up a lemonade stand in front of a house with 2 Lexus's in the driveway. I'm not saying that this isn't the case further west, just that it IS the case here and I like that.

North of 25a is pretty affluent.

I do think The Strathmores, So Setauket and the Critter sections help keep the area right sized.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 AM

76 posts, read 179,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

I do think The Strathmores, So Setauket and the Critter sections help keep the area right sized.

Crooks
Agreed, but even in those areas the people ain't doing too shabby for themselves

Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
Agreed, but even in those areas the people ain't doing too shabby for themselves
Nope not at all.

The Critter section can be a bit of a trianwreck.
I wouldnt want to live there, or by Arrowhead, but its still 3v schools on the cheap.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-23-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 AM

264 posts, read 878,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Are you both commuting into NYC? With kids? If you have children or are going to have children, and still both work, you will want to work closer than 2 hours away. Daycare calls, your child is sick, come get them. Ok, I'll be their in 2 hours? Not good. Teacher conference? 2 hours. 1/2 days at school? 2 hours. If you intend on being a SAHM when your children are born, then it's doable. 2 working parents with both of them working 2 hours away? No Way. I'm speaking as a parent of 3 - this is not a reasonable lifestyle for you or your children (future or otherwise). I guess, unless you are going to get a full time nanny. I don't think the full time nanny life style is prevalant in 3V. Maybe some, but not alot.
We have both been working for a few years and have been good about saving money. My future wife is actually eager to stay home to take care of children. So it's not like they'll be spending a lot of time w/o either parent.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
If you can find what you're looking for closer to the city, you almost have to take it. Not saying it isn't a nice place to live, but you have to factor in that you will only be experiencing it on weekends. And having or potentially having young children makes this a no-brainer to me, unless you're ok with barely seeing them during the week. It's unfortunate that many areas of LI are underserved by the LIRR, but it is what it is.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
We have both been working for a few years and have been good about saving money. My future wife is actually eager to stay home to take care of children. So it's not like they'll be spending a lot of time w/o either parent.
This is key. But then it's your call if you really want to commute for that long. Is the area worth it to you? That's all it's about. It seems great from what I've seen. But I tell you, that commute is nasty. You will barely see your kids during the week, guaranteed. I worked with a guy from Pt. Jeff at 7WTC...not the best. If you're ok with that and think it's something you can handle with your wife home, God bless. You can no doubt have a nice house for much less money than Nassau and even Western Suffolk.

For me, Garden City is great. I love it. Commute to city is 35-40 min. Etc. I also like Locust Valley, Rockville Centre, Manhasset, East Williston, Cold Spring Harbor, Northport. These are great towns, great schools, closeer to the city, etc. It's all about what you want in the end.

I think first and foremost, decide on how much you can or would spend on the house. Next, move to what you can and would be willing to live in. You can spend $1M for a house in Manhasset and it will be a lot different than out in 3V. Factor in schools, towns amenities, feel of area, etc. Firgure in convenience to work as well. Not sure what you do, but maybe you can get a good job out closer to you, too.

Best of luck. Did this not too long ago and it's tough. As long as you don't have to rush, you'll hopefully make the best choice for you and your family.

Take care.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
If you can find what you're looking for closer to the city, you almost have to take it. Not saying it isn't a nice place to live, but you have to factor in that you will only be experiencing it on weekends. And having or potentially having young children makes this a no-brainer to me, unless you're ok with barely seeing them during the week. It's unfortunate that many areas of LI are underserved by the LIRR, but it is what it is.
I know, it really is a personal choice. My wife stays home and I remember a few days over the last 3 years when either she would want me home immediately (locked out or whatever) or my daughter would be sick and would be asking for me on the phone.... I clearly remember how it felt good getting home in 5 mins from the office. I know 5 mins is too much to ask, but lets say 20-30 mins should be good enough.... it was priceless !! I know... I know.... its just a few days in a year.... but then there were more than a few days when I'll just instantly take off early to take my daughter to the parks and just spend time with her, love the flexibility !!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'd say not as much community and a bit more snoottiness. You have some remnants of the hippie/new age stuff because of SBU in 3 village...the other areas you're talking about are more about getting the newest Range Rover offering.

LMAO!

SUSB and the large number of her employees within this community certainly shape us, and to some extent, define us. Stony Brook is more down to earth than Setauket as Setauket has more high $ real estate.

Now please excuse me while I set out to peruse the latest Jag-U-ar offering to get me from yoga to granola group.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I know, it really is a personal choice. My wife stays home and I remember a few days over the last 3 years when either she would want me home immediately (locked out or whatever) or my daughter would be sick and would be asking for me on the phone.... I clearly remember how it felt good getting home in 5 mins from the office. I know 5 mins is too much to ask, but lets say 20-30 mins should be good enough.... it was priceless !! I know... I know.... its just a few days in a year.... but then there were more than a few days when I'll just instantly take off early to take my daughter to the parks and just spend time with her, love the flexibility !!
Same here. I'm 15 minutes from home, so when my boss tells me to get lost at 3Pm and I pop my head in the door to surprise my son...it's nice. It's also nice that i have 3 hours of quality time with him every work day no matter what.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Crooks
Let's amend that a wee bit.

North of Christian Ave is pretty affluent. The pocket between 25A and Christian is not hurting, but you will find folks who are earning far less than their north of Christian counterparts. There are actually some house bargains to be had in the Stony Brook Gardens section -- it is bordered by 25A, Cedar, Christian, Houghton, and Quaker Path -- provided one is not looking for a mcmansion or fucco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island