Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,332,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn88 View Post
Just took another drive around the area, it doesn't look bad. I saw a sign around the property that says Belmont Lake Estates, anyone familiar with this area in particular. Its W Babylon with N Babylon schools. Main concern is if it is a safe area?
I live in that area.

It's a Middle Class predominately Black community. It's considered West Babylon but it is in the North Babylon School District. It is predominately Black, but within recent years, more and more Whites and Hispanics are starting to move in but the overwhelming majority are still African Americans.

Many people like to falsely believe that this area is so horrible and there are beat up houses and crime everywhere just because of the demographics of the area but that is not the case and this area is really no different than other parts of West/North Babylon in terms of appearance; there are actually many well-maintained, nice and large homes in the area but it also has it's fair share of less-maintained homes. I have actually noticed that the homes in this area tend to have a little more land/property than other parts of North Babylon.

As for crime, I have not noticed any major crimes take place. I have not heard about those burglaries in this community that a previous forum member stated, but this area doesn't have as much of a crime problem as nearby Wyandanch; no debating that. It's very quiet.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-04-2010 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 PM

17 posts, read 45,882 times
Default Somerset Village in North Babylon

We are looking to rent an apartment in Somerset Village located close to the southern state parkway in North Babylon. Any inputs on this area and the apartment complex would be appreciated!!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:33 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,772,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKLI View Post
I live in that area. Lived there all my life.

Last year there were a string of burglaries in the neighborhood by some young kids. I know this because three of them tried to come into my home while my Grandmother was there. She chased them away, and they were not caught. Three cop cars came to the house, and two detectives. They took fingerprints and searched the premesis. We were told it was the 15th hit in the area within a short period of time.

My husbands car got broken into twice. One summer our whole block had slashed tires after a party was thrown the night before.

I have chased people waiting around to buy drugs on several occasions. Gave up-- I am not a police officer let them do their job!

There used to be hookers on Hilltop Avenue but an old neighbor of ours somehow chased them out.

I am looking to move I have a small child.

Just letting you know what I have experienced living here...

Rarely hear much on N. Babylon schools, My cousin moved out as soon as they had a child. They felt Harrison was a much beter school district. Does "the hood" affect the quality of the SD?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,598,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn88 View Post
I know the house is in W Babylon with N Babylon schools, but I am mainly concerned about safety, burglaries, robberys, gangs, and drugs. Does anyone know if this area has any of these issues. Thanks.

Starting in 2000 I believe they started busing kids from Wyandanch (Crimedanch) into N. Babylon high school and predictably they collapsed that year. If this is still in effect I doubt it changed.

My wife graduated there in 2000 so that'd be my source. My dad taught science there in the 70's and he said it was a dump then, though thats very outdated information.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Starting in 2000 I believe they started busing kids from Wyandanch (Crimedanch) into N. Babylon high school and predictably they collapsed that year. If this is still in effect I doubt it changed.

My wife graduated there in 2000 so that'd be my source. My dad taught science there in the 70's and he said it was a dump then, though thats very outdated information.

Are you sure about that? I never heard of any school district on Long Island where they bused kids from another school district. Maybe your wife was part of the burnout crowd and her time at the high school was a big haze. W. Greenspan can you confirm this busing issue at N. Babylon?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:40 PM

I graduated from North Babylon less then 4 years ago and NO Buses go into Wyandanch!!! No part of Wyandanch is included in the North Babylon School District EXCEPT for 1 block of the very very eastern part of Cumberbach Street.

I live in the North Babylon School District just south of the Wyandanch border and I would have known of this through social interactions, or even after school when I had to find a bus that went to my area. In my area "North of the Parkway", there were usually 2 black after-school buses, one that went to the "Governor area" and one that went to the "Arizona area", which are both in West Babylon but North Babylon School District. IF there was a Wyandanch bus then there would've have been another black bus, but those were the only 2 black buses. Kids are NOT bused in from Wyandanch.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-25-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Rarely hear much on N. Babylon schools, My cousin moved out as soon as they had a child. They felt Harrison was a much beter school district. Does "the hood" affect the quality of the SD?
The area that is called "the hood" (for whatever reason...) did not affect the quality of the SD, at least not anymore than people from the other parts of the School District.

I graduated from North Babylon SD a few years ago and there were disruptive people from all parts of the town and of all colors. But when I would go to the AP (advanced classes) rooms, then there were people from the so called "hood" there also, when I went to Supervision and went to Detention, there were all different kinds of people there.

But of course you will hear people who probably never even set foot in the school say, "oh, this place is a disaster and a hell-hole" and whine about it.

(The graduate rate and the graduates wishing to attend a 2 or 4 year college is actually on par with many other highly regarded districts;
Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com )

- I graduated from NB a few years ago with a 90+ average and live in the so called "hood".

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-25-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I graduated from North Babylon less then 4 years ago and NO Buses go into Wyandanch!!! No part of Wyandanch is included in the North Babylon School District EXCEPT for 1 block of the very very eastern part of Cumberbach Street.

I live in the North Babylon School District just south of the Wyandanch border and I would have known of this through social interactions, or even after school when I had to find a bus that went to my area. In my area "North of the Parkway", there were usually 2 black after-school buses, one that went to the "Governor area" and one that went to the "Arizona area", which are both in West Babylon but North Babylon School District. IF there was a Wyandanch bus then there would've have been another black bus, but those were the only 2 black buses. Kids aren't bused in from Wyandanch.

I agree with what you said. But uh, hate to sound ignorant but what is a "black bus?"

Old 09-25-2010, 04:01 PM

LOL, it's wasn't meant as an official term but as a nickname for the buses that went "North of the Parkway" and west of Belmont ave/park. That is where the majority of Blacks and a good amount of the Hispanics of the school district come from.

(That area is in the hamlet of West Babylon but zoned for North Babylon Schools for those that don't know.)

Old 09-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The area that is called "the hood" (for whatever reason...) did not affect the quality of the SD, at least anymore than people from the other parts of the School District.

I graduated from North Babylon SD a few years ago and there were disruptive people from all parts of the town and of all colors. But when I would go to the AP rooms, then there were people from the so called "hood" there also, when I went to Supervision and went to Detention, there were all different kinds of people there.

But of course you will hear people who probably never even set foot in the school say, "oh, this place is a disaster and a hell-hole" and whine about it.

(The graduate rate and the graduates wishing to attend a 2 or 4 year college is actually on par with many other highly regarded districts;
Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com )

So once again it's just another poster trying to separate a community based on race? Why don't posters just say what they mean rather than using terms such as "the hood?" Pathetic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island