Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
So once again it's just another poster trying to separate a community based on race? Why don't posters just say what they mean rather than using terms such as "the hood?" Pathetic!
I'm sure he meant no harm, I think he was just unaware of the town boundaries, a lot of people, especially in this area are! Me and many of my friends in the part of the North Babylon School District in the West Babylon hamlet (both north and south of the parkway) didn't even know we were in West Babylon until many years on! I lived here for about 21 years and I didn't even know I was in WB until like 5 years ago! We always thought of ourselves as North Babylonians!

But a lot of posters are closet racists, some people even go overboard with it. There seems to be a huge trend of using "code" here. A lot of people go out of their way to use terms such as "sketchy" and "undesirable" when it is obvious what they really mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

But a lot of posters are closet racists, some people even go overboard with it. There seems to be a huge trend of using "code" here. A lot of people go out of their way to use terms such as "sketchy" and "undesirable" when it is obvious what they really mean.

I find it demeaning and counterproductive. When I first starting reading the LI boards it went over my head and I didn't understanding why people were seeing what I wasn't in some towns. Eventually I started to realize the "true" nature of their posts. Some of the posters have a need to feel superior to others. I find it to be a horrible insecurity. Most towns have something that is appealing about that town even the undesirable ones. I still trek into Hempstead to go shoppoing at that oriental superrmarket and have dinner and cookout at my Aunt's house in "scary" Baldwin. She has even invited the dark skinned neighbors. In my opinion that was a treat.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he meant no harm, I think he was just unaware of the town boundaries, a lot of people, especially in this area are! Me and many of my friends in the part of the North Babylon School District in the West Babylon hamlet (both north and south of the parkway) didn't even know we were in West Babylon until many years on! I lived here for about 21 years and I didn't even know I was in WB until like 5 years ago! We always thought of ourselves as North Babylonians!

Speaking of people who go overboard with their feelings. Does anyone know what happened to Johninwestbury's recent thread about Westbury's illegals?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Speaking of people who go overboard with their feelings. Does anyone know what happened to Johninwestbury's recent thread about Westbury's illegals?
A mod probably deleted it. A lot of topics have been deleted lately! LOL, like those "school district topics"!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that? I never heard of any school district on Long Island where they bused kids from another school district. Maybe your wife was part of the burnout crowd and her time at the high school was a big haze. W. Greenspan can you confirm this busing issue at N. Babylon?
No, I can not confirm.

There are school districts that do not have high schools that contract with and pay out-of-district tuition to other school districts so that children from the school district without a high school can attend high school in one or more other districts.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
LOL, it's wasn't meant as an official term but as a nickname for the buses that went "North of the Parkway" and west of Belmont ave/park. That is where the majority of Blacks and a good amount of the Hispanics of the school district come from.

(That area is in the hamlet of West Babylon but zoned for North Babylon Schools for those that don't know.)
I think the term was even around back in the 70's when I went to NB. I do remember that section being called the "black part" but it didn't stop anyone from crossing the Belmont Ave overpass to play with their friends, go to the park or go to Belmont Lake JHS. The area was pretty nice back then on the park side. Sadly we just accepted self segregation as the norm.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No, I can not confirm.

There are school districts that do not have high schools that contract with and pay out-of-district tuition to other school districts so that children from the school district without a high school can attend high school in one or more other districts.

True, but that's not the case for Wyandanch.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I just asked her, and she confirmed in 2000 kids from Crimedanch were brought into N. babylon high school.

Mmmm, no.
LOL, North Babylon High School only has about 1,600 students in total so that is no way that can possibly be correct!

If there were kids from Wyandanch brought in at one point then it was only a temporary situation, but I can assure you that it was not the case the 4 years I went to school or after.

I was socially active during my 4 years in North Babylon High School and NOBODY I knew that went to NB High School lived in Wyandanch. I live along the Wyandanch-North Babylon School District border (In the North Babylon School District part) and I NEVER see North Babylon buses going into Wyandanch. I do see students in the closest part of Wyandanch to North Babylon (the Cumberbach/Booker/Davidson area) waiting for Wyandanch buses. I go to work and I have to pass through that part of Wyandanch to get to my job in the morning.

Your wife probably saw a North Babylon Bus going across one of the bridges over the Southern State Parkway and assumed that the area was Wyandanch when the area really isn't. Because Wyandanch students have never been bused in to North Babylon High School on a permanent basis.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-26-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I just asked her, and she confirmed in 2000 kids from Moderator cut: please do not use this pejorative term for someone else's town were brought into N. babylon high school.

Mmmm, no.

Why? Wyandanch school district has its own high school. Another poster Long Island Person who attended the high school said it never happened. Why would Wyandanch send its students to North Babylon without NBSD charging them tuition? Where is your proof beyond her word? Maybe you should check her urine because her story is not consistent with the facts.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-08-2012 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
LOL, North Babylon High School only has about 1,600 students in total so that is no way that can possibly be correct!

I said "in 2000" as in the year. That should be patently obvious. Its good to see basic intelligence is alive and well on LI.

Quote:
Your wife probably saw a North Babylon Bus going across one of the bridges over the Southern State Parkway and assumed that the area was Wyandanch when the area really isn't. Because Wyandanch students have never been bused in to North Babylon High School on a permanent basis.
Maybe it was temporary, maybe it wasn't. I wasn't there, I went to Deer Park high school (were incidentally there was a stabbing committed by one of Moderator cut: please do not use this anme for Wyandanch young future community leaders of a DP student near Acorn St by the HS). However, she was a student and she did say that they brought violence and drugs with them, more so than there was before.

As I think I said 2000 was her graduating year, meaning after that she was done. So no idea what happened after.

Quote:
Why? Wyandanch school district has its own high school. Another poster Long Island Person who attended the high school said it never happened. Why would Wyandanch send its students to North Babylon without NBSD charging them tuition? Where is your proof beyond her word? Maybe you should check her urine because her story is not consistent with the facts.
Long Island Person obviously lacks basic reading comprehension skills, I think I will trust my wifes word over his.

And what "facts" do you have? Were you a student there in the year of 2000 (emphasis on context of chronological time for benefit of the slower ones)?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-08-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island