Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM

108 posts, read 357,829 times

Advertisements

$20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
the guy saying $50 and that its less than a buck a week.......... Do you tip during the year?

$50 isn't being a high roller, if you don't.

I'm not sure what i've done on the holidays. I get envelopes every week/month for tips, I ignore them. i have an autopay set up with my bank. He get a check mailed every other month for about $10. Not sure if he takes note or not. He should be happy, b/c that I can consistantly do. i didn't and I doubt other people do remember ever month if they just use those little envelopes.
That's my point. At one time you would have a face to face relationship with the newsboy, who would collect in person once a week. It was custom to add fifty cents or so to the total. Nowadays there is no contact at all, billing is done automatically, so $50 for the year seems like a reasonable amount to me. All this is assuming good to better service.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,643 times
Post I personaly am a carrier.

I deliver papers Ever morning no matter th weather and get very little pay. Where I work I only deliver in the summer. If I had a choice I wouldn't be working there... I don't reccomend doing papers. Im on my first year and if I don't get good tips im going to be disappointed. Just think I have NO summer! I can't spend the night at my friends house and I AM DRAINED at the end of the day... If im late then no one gets there paper on time and I have to find a replacement for myself if i want to take a couple days off... I would reccoment a 40 or 50 dollar tip or more... II hope this is helpful from my point of view thankyou.
-Josh

Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM

195 posts, read 310,518 times
zero..imagine if everyone gives them $20 a year? they'll have thousands...that's alot more than what i get for a christmas bonus. If you think they don't get paid enough..its a paper route..it's the job of a teenager.

Last edited by indiana515; 08-26-2011 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: fix

Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 PM

9,754 posts, read 7,465,729 times
I don't get the paper delivered but my mom used to have the wall street journal delivered here:

We have a horshoe driveway and for a while the paperboy(man??) would drive through the driveway, and leave it right at the front door. I think my mom used to give them 20 or 30 dollars. Now, ever since my sister came home from college, all her stuff is taking up the garage, so everyone has to park on the horsehoe, so they leave it at the foot of the driveway, I doubt they'll get an extra penny.

I'm thinking of having the post delievered. No matter where they leave it I'll probably leave between 10 and 30 dollars at years end depending on the service (i.e. if they leave it at the foot most days they get 10, if they drop it at the door most days their more then likely to get 30).

Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,800 times
I had a newsday route back when it was $2.50 a week and you delivered it after school...or after 6pm if you played football or another sport - and that was fine because there was no Internet etc. I put the paper in the mailbox or inside the door.

A few years ago I had it delivered by a paperman and it was supposed to be there by 5:30 - I only needed it there by 7am so I could bring it with me on the train. At least a few times/month it wasn't there and when it was it was mostly near the street.

I overtip in most scenarios but I always held back on this one. Kind of feel bad now thinking about it now but my service was so bad that I finally cancelled - that and newsday sucks.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
zero..imagine if everyone gives them $20 a year? they'll have thousands

Thousands ??!!???

And, no they are not teenagers anymore. They are grown people who wake up long before dawn in all kind of weather to deliver your paper.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
We tip our mail lady $20.00 at christmas time and our Garbage men $20.00. Believe me they appreciate it. The garbage men are very nice and because we tip them they'll take anything away that we throw at the curb. Some people go as gar as tipping their hairdresser or barber during the holidays. I just tip my hairdresser when she cuts my hair 5 bucks. I don't go out of my way and give her a present at Christmas. We don't get a paper delivery but I think $20.00 at Christmas is generous enough, $50 is a bit much IMO.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:06 PM

8,681 posts, read 11,074,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
My old guy never got an extra dime out of me. I'd find my paper in the shrubs or under my car...and at least once a month the paper wouldn't come at all. If that wasn't enough, this clown would include an envelope asking for a tip several times a year. .

I seem to get the same experience.

I usually give $15-25 once a year depending on service. I did give small extra this year bc they pleaded that it was a tough year due to high gas price.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM

11 posts, read 27,936 times
I automatically tip $20 per month through my credit card. I think a $5 tip per week is fair for someone delivering my paper seven times a week at 6 o'clock in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: