Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times

Advertisements

Anyone have home delivery service? How much would you tip them at year end, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM

16 posts, read 60,353 times
I get the NY Post and tip him $50 because he gets the paper there by 5:45 am when I leave for work.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
i tip 2 people... my barber and my bartender... all else can go to hell

Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibald View Post
I get the NY Post and tip him $50 because he gets the paper there by 5:45 am when I leave for work.

That's extremely generous!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 58,564 times
$50! you must be very rich.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 76,544 times
I'll leave a $20 tip with a Merry Christmas card.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 AM

13 posts, read 45,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Do exactly the same.Leave my house at 6 am and Post is always there.It's well worth the equivalent a buck a week.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM

271 posts, read 657,524 times
I use to manage home delivery service for newspapers so this is what you should look at?
1) How long have you had your present carrier? You should be seeing better service around this time of year due to the holidays but have you had the same carrier throughout the year or is it a new carrier? (It's an extremely high turnover job)

2) How has service been throughout the year? (See above reason)
3) Has the paper always been dry and on time?

Don't feel the need to tip just because it's the end of the year but do realize that carriers expect holiday tips and if they don't get anything they may treat you like a "second class citizen"

Finally ask yourself if you would be willing to get up 7 days a week regardless of weather around midnight or 1 am to deliver newspapers? Most people would say "no" so you need to take that into consideration.

I can't answer how much you should tip since I don't know how much you pay for subscription where you live. I can tell you that if you call the newspaper and tell them your address they should be able to tell you how long you've had the carrier on the route

Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,180 times
I hope all those folks who feel it's OK to stiff the "help" never have to get up at 3 AM in all kind of lousy weather year round to deliver the morning paper. The pay stinks and they rely in large part on tips, much like the wait staff at your local restaurant does. I tip our newspaper delivery person $50, and no, I'm not rich. Less than a buck a week for reliable service seems to be the least I can do.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 76,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
I hope all those folks who feel it's OK to stiff the "help" never have to get up at 3 AM in all kind of lousy weather year round to deliver the morning paper. The pay stinks and they rely in large part on tips, much like the wait staff at your local restaurant does. I tip our newspaper delivery person $50, and no, I'm not rich. Less than a buck a week for reliable service seems to be the least I can do.
I'm all for tipping these guys, but let's not get crazy here. They get paid for delivering the newspapers. The tips are an added bonus. They don't get paid like waiters and waitresses who get less than minimum wage because the tips are expected. So them waking up at 3am to deliver the papers is their job. That's why I pay the bill that comes every couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: