Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 16,828 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I are torn between installing wood fencing, versus PVC. PVC we're assuming is more costly to install and maybe also maintain. Is it also something we can install on our own? Your thoughts?

PS. We're looking for durability, low cost, low maintenance, and decent curb appeal (although it's for our backyard). Good vendor recommendation would be welcomed, as well. Rose Fencing is quite popular in our neck of the woods (Baldwin Harbor)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:28 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
I think you just answered all of your own questions.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 AM

88 posts, read 480,724 times
You have to be careful. Cheap PVC is more flimsy so more likely to crack in the cold, it also more likely to discolor. A good PVC fence, wile being more expensive than wood requires alot less maintainance and lasts alot longer than wood.

Whatever you do don't get stockade fence. Many people go for it because it is the cheapest fencing available, but is ugly no matter what you do with it and you will have to start replacing rotted sections after only a few years.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
PVC...yuck. Tacky.

I can tell the future...I'm looking into my crystal ball...
I predict PVC as being one of those "what were we thinking?" trends...just like shag carpet...and dark wood paneling...flowered silver sanitest wall paper...orange formica counter tops...

Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times
I agree: PVC = YUCK. I myself will be installing a good old fashioned wood fence this summer. There really isn't too much maintenance on a fence. Plus, PVC is toxic, especially to produce. Do a simple search on the topic, it's an environmental nightmare.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 AM

88 posts, read 480,724 times
Interesting idea, that PVC is more toxoc than wood. You say a wood fence doesn't require much maintanance. A wood fence that isn't CCA treated will require painting annually. A CCA treated fence will last longer but will leasch arsenic into the ground and if burned will release arsenic into the air. On the other hand PVC is toxic only if burned.

As for PVC being tacky, since no one can tell a modern PVC fence from a good wood fence without touching it, I think you maybe talking about cheaper or older versions

Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I can tell any PVC fence from over a mile away.
Wood fence requires maintenance every 3 to 5 years under normal conditions.
PVC does require maintenance, especially anything remotely facing north. You will need to clean it every few weeks.
Panel separation is very common.
PVC as it gradually decomposes does release harmful gases into the air.
PVC is noisy too. On windy days you can hear the squeaky scratchy sound between the sections and posts, and especially the gates.
Wood rots. PVC cracks and splits.
Wood is easier to repair if damaged.
Both have their good and bad, it mostly narrows down to personal preference, but just don't blindly believe that if you install PVC that you will never have to touch it, because you will.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM

72 posts, read 197,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I can tell any PVC fence from over a mile away.
Wood fence requires maintenance every 3 to 5 years under normal conditions.
PVC does require maintenance, especially anything remotely facing north. You will need to clean it every few weeks.
Panel separation is very common.
PVC as it gradually decomposes does release harmful gases into the air.
PVC is noisy too. On windy days you can hear the squeaky scratchy sound between the sections and posts, and especially the gates.
Wood rots. PVC cracks and splits.
Wood is easier to repair if damaged.
Both have their good and bad, it mostly narrows down to personal preference, but just don't blindly believe that if you install PVC that you will never have to touch it, because you will.
Karl, I used to operate a small power washing outfit in South Carolina. We washed hundreds of fences a year. Pretty much everything you stated is correct.

The amount of chemical "brighteners" we used on wood fences were probably more of an environmental nightmare -- percarbonate/oxalic acid mixtures, sometimes stronger mixtures depending on the job.

With PVC a simple bleach/water and soap solution were all that were needed. We let it dwell for 5 minutes then washed it off. All the dirt, mold/mildew just melts right off. In our wash mixture, we would inject a "hot wax" to protect the PVC for much longer periods of time. The effort on cleaning a PVC fence that was neglected was no more compared to a wood fence where the cost of materials and time went up as the homeowner allowed the fence to sit for years.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 AM

85 posts, read 233,282 times
May I suggest trex fencing. they also make decking material that is very good. the one place on LI that has the fencing in stock is in Babylon, however you can also special order it through Home Depot. It is as green as you can get and low maintenance, It has a natural look to it without that phony high gloss PVC look. Do a google search and you will see what I mean.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times
FYI: From what I've been told/read, they stopped using arsenic in treated wood and switched to some form of copper or copper compound as a replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island