Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Towns or areas with substantial Jewish populations on Long Island are:

Nassau County:
Elmont - once upon a time, probably in rapid decline.
Long Beach - some Hasidic
Valley Stream - maybe not so much anymore, changing area
The above is based on simply looking up where most Jewish Synagogues are on LI.
Elmont? No way. It actually used to be Italian back in the day, not Jewish to my knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 07:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Default Perhaps someone knows the story...

I passed by a synagogue the other day in Woodbury, the East Nassau Temple, right by the LIE on Oyster Bay Road.

It appears to be abandoned. There are letters posted on the doors that reference some kind of litigation - looked nasty.

Seemed like a nice building, it's a shame to see it vacant.

Does anyone know the story? I googled it, to no avail.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
I have a siuster who lives in woodbury. She has two small children and is not happy with the public school system there. They do not offer any after school activities. Kids from 6th grade are housed with high school seniors. Her taxes are slightly over 8,000. Her family is looking to move out of woodbury.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,697 times
Woodbury used to be more of a Jewish area, now its mixed with christians, catholic, jews, buddists, muslims etc. There are no areas anymore that are only one denomination. Its just a big melting pot.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Default Elmont: Jewish residents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Elmont? No way. It actually used to be Italian back in the day, not Jewish to my knowledge.
Must have been at one time because of all the Temples in the area.

Maybe it was spill over from Queens?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Towns or areas with substantial Jewish populations on Long Island are:

The above is based on simply looking up where most Jewish Synagogues are on LI.
NBres, you are a curious poster to me...you seem to be a lifelong long islander but are so off on some of your area views that I wonder if you get out of North Babylon, ever...no offense, but you base some of your town
"assessments" on the birthplaces of noted jewish policitians...are you kidding me. "Well one jewish guy came from there so there must be a whole lot of them in the area". And some of the towns you reference have a history of being almost 100% catholic. You gotta get out more. And the hostility quote about Smithtown? Smithtown has been noted for years as having a significant jewish population...where would this base of aggression be coming from? But please, above all else, try not to state as fact (like I quoted above) where the jewish populations are and then close your list by saying you based it on a synagogue map review...really.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Default Just the Facts, Dude.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
NBres, you are a curious poster to me...you seem to be a lifelong long islander but are so off on some of your area views that I wonder if you get out of North Babylon, ever...no offense, but you base some of your town
"assessments" on the birthplaces of noted jewish policitians...are you kidding me. "Well one jewish guy came from there so there must be a whole lot of them in the area".
Dix Hills, where Steve Israel lives, has a very large Jewish population..am I wrong?

Holbrook, Steve Levy is from there, I know several Jews personally who live there.

Quote:
And some of the towns you reference have a history of being almost 100% catholic.
Such as?

Quote:
You gotta get out more. And the hostility quote about Smithtown?
Just anecdotal evidence from a Jewish friend of mine.And if you noticed I put a question mark next to the statement - meaning I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Smithtown has been noted for years as having a significant jewish population...where would this base of aggression be coming from?
I have no idea.

Quote:
But please, above all else, try not to state as fact (like I quoted above) where the jewish populations are and then close your list by saying you based it on a synagogue map review...really.
Why would that be wrong. Don't Jews have to be close enough to walk to the temple if they are at all observant. Why would it be wrong to approximate where most Jews live on Long Island by locating where the Jewish Temples are?

Which areas do you feel I am wrong about?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default Laughing...

Moderator cut: quote

In lieu of responding to her latest post I am just going to chuckle and move on...Nbres' logic is quite scientific...I have mapped out all of the italian/irish/greek/polish areas based solely on the density of their relative ethnic restaurants and bars...

Holbrook is about as jewish as Palestine...

Last edited by Keeper; 11-28-2007 at 06:04 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM

411 posts, read 1,601,589 times
Some of you guys are too funny - would it be easier if the Jews in each community wore a yellow Star of David so you could 'tell' immediately and not have to figure it out? lol

New York has pockets of Jewish people in many places, as do CT and NJ. There are also pockets of Italians and Irish, still. It's where we landed after getting off the boat from Europe. NY has many ethnic groups, many of them concentrated in certain areas. It's no biggie.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Some of you guys are too funny - would it be easier if the Jews in each community wore a yellow Star of David so you could 'tell' immediately and not have to figure it out?
No need to issue yellow stars: just do what us Jews do when checking out a neighborhood at this time of the year, drive around and you'll quickly see which of the neighborhoods in the 293 communities (2 cities, 96 villages and 195 hamlets) in the bi-counties DO NOT HAVE CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY LIGHTS.

However, while this is a good indicator of predominantly Jewish neighborhoods, it will not be any guidance as to whether the Jews in that neighborhood are secular or Torah observant, bearing in mind that the majority of Jews on LI are secular and not Torah observant and can be quite intolerant to their more observant brethren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island