Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 31,837 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of making a decision on rent w/option to buy. I must give my answer by the weekend. This would be my first house, starter house. I haev always rented. The house is in East Meadow. Does anybody know much about this area, is it good, good schools, etc.?

My question here is:

1. Do I make a offer on the house now and lock in that price, or do I wait until after the 2 yrs are up? What would be in my best interest?

2. How could I find out after teh 2 yr term is up and I am purchasing - how could I find out now, what my payments per month would be? It's very scary investing all of the monies be put towards my downpayment (which the landlord will hold), which would be $1,000, and the rent is $1800 - plus $5600 down for security which would be put towards the downpayment also. I could lose all of this money, if I do not get a loan - but is there any way to find out what my monthly payments or an idea of what they would be @ the end of this 2 yr renting term, NOW???

3. Should I just rent on my own and save the money on my own and then put it towards a downpayment on a house.

Any other suggestions/comment welcomed.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:50 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris821 View Post
I am in the process of making a decision on rent w/option to buy. I must give my answer by the weekend. This would be my first house, starter house. I haev always rented. The house is in East Meadow. Does anybody know much about this area, is it good, good schools, etc.?

My question here is:

1. Do I make a offer on the house now and lock in that price, or do I wait until after the 2 yrs are up? What would be in my best interest?

2. How could I find out after teh 2 yr term is up and I am purchasing - how could I find out now, what my payments per month would be? It's very scary investing all of the monies be put towards my downpayment (which the landlord will hold), which would be $1,000, and the rent is $1800 - plus $5600 down for security which would be put towards the downpayment also. I could lose all of this money, if I do not get a loan - but is there any way to find out what my monthly payments or an idea of what they would be @ the end of this 2 yr renting term, NOW???

3. Should I just rent on my own and save the money on my own and then put it towards a downpayment on a house.

Any other suggestions/comment welcomed.

Thanks,

Chris
1. The lease should specify a price at which you can buy the home. Otherwise, it is not an option at all. If the market improves over the term of the lease, you can purchase the home and you are ahead of the game. If the market declines you can just walk away, or you could make the owner another (lower) offer and see if he accepts it.

2. If you give me the details: Purchase Price, Total Downpayment, Taxes, I can estimate the amount of the payment for you. If you want to zero in a little more, any mortgage broker or mortgage banker would also be glad to calculate this for you.

3. You might want to just rent right now and save up the down payment. The advantage to a rent with option is that sometimes, the landlord will credit part of the rent towards the down payment. In return, the rent is often higher then regular market rent. Also, watch the purchase price. If he could get that price in todays market, he probably would just outright sell now, so it's probably somewhat acove the current market price. You are making a bet on whether the market is going to go up over the term of the lease. If it does, you win. If it does not, you lose.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM

Thanks much for responding to my questions, have a few more.

The Purchae Price which I never made an offer yet and feel it is way overpriced is $439,500.00. But how do I really find that out what the price range is? What should I offer, etc.? I looked @ other houses on MLSI.com in the area and in adjoining better areas, Merrick and Belmore, and the houses are going for much less and much better). She told me the house was appraised 2-1/2 yrs ago for $450,000 and that is how she came to this price now.

Price Price
$439,500.00
Taxes
$7,800
Downpayment
$31,200

Please advise on what the total monthly payments would be.

Thanks much.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:

The Purchae Price which I never made an offer yet and feel it is way overpriced is $439,500.00. But how do I really find that out what the price range is? What should I offer, etc.? I looked @ other houses on MLSI.com in the area and in adjoining better areas, Merrick and Belmore, and the houses are going for much less and much better). She told me the house was appraised 2-1/2 yrs ago for $450,000 and that is how she came to this price now.

Price Price
$439,500.00
Taxes
$7,800
Downpayment
$31,200

Thanks much.
Here's how your payments would work out, assumming todays interest rate of 6.75% and a 30 year loan:

Amount financed: 408,300

Monthly Mortgage: 2,650
Monthly Taxes: 650
Monthly Insurance 100

Total Monthly Payment: 3,400

If you would like to get a better idea on the price range, please PM me with the address and details on the house (such as style, number of bedrooms, baths, basement, garage, etc. -- as much as you can). I'll check recent similar sales for you and get back to you.

Hope this is helpfull.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM

577 Albert Street
East Meadow, NY
1 Family
Dimensions 60x100, .14 acres. Not updated inside @ all. They are doing a bit of work now, but not much.
She had the house appraised 2-1/2 yrs ago for $450,000 - and that is where she came up w/the asking price of $439,500. Which I think is way over priced. I had looked @ houses in adjoining areas, Merrick, Bellmore, and the houses are cheaper, much nicer also. If i had your email address, I could send you pictures, etc.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 PM

26 posts, read 83,233 times
jesus don't buy a house now, not here,

Old 10-11-2007, 05:56 PM

24 posts, read 87,049 times
2 YEARS AGO? The market has changed A LOT in the past two years!! I'd tell her that she has to appraise it again! Or use someone you find, personally.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
Quote:

Price Price
$439,500.00
Taxes
$7,800
Downpayment
$31,200

Thanks much.
Hi..

she came to that price by an appraisal done 2 1/2 years ago? Is this person a FSBO? The market is DIFFERENT than it was 2 1/2 years ago..and she needs a recent market evaluation to work out the comps.

Best thing to do, if you really wantto comp it out.. is to hire a buyers agent..(the commission is worked into the sale of the home.. too detailed into how it works to type here.) But ify ou dont' want to do that.. then research the net at newsday.com and look at homes in East Meadow that hvae sold recently that may be similar. Looking at another town will not really help you because each town /SD is different.

Good luck

Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 AM

Chris,

439,500 is way out of line. Here's some recent activity on the block:

539 Albert St
Currently on the market for $379,000 (since 8/2/07)

560 Albert St
Sold for $370,000 (closed 6/26/07)

578 Albert St
Expired (did not sell) at $384,000
On the market from 12/1/06 - 6/1/07

539 Adelphi St (around the corner)
Sold for $394,500
Closed 9/26/07

I hope this info is helpful.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 20,178 times
Default hope this would help

Go to www.nassauproperty (broken link) .com and look up the house by address and see what the last house in that area sold for then make a offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: