Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 14,215 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I voiced my concerns to the hiring manager but the salary stays at 50k. There is a bonus structure included where I have the potential to get an additional $12,000=salary of 62k. I don't want to rely to heavily on that though.

I work in Retail Loss Prevention/Asset Protection and this is more for the opportunity and advancement. They are taking me in with no management experience and giving me an opportunity to turn the store around because I have a very good reputation on the west coast. While they were looking for someone with prior management experience, they decided to offer the position to me-I really was surprised.

I'd have to commit for a year but this is a position that can open a lot of doors which is great. I just don't want to get in over my head and not be able to pay for all of my expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR1583 View Post
Thanks. I voiced my concerns to the hiring manager but the salary stays at 50k. There is a bonus structure included where I have the potential to get an additional $12,000=salary of 62k. I don't want to rely to heavily on that though.

I work in Retail Loss Prevention/Asset Protection and this is more for the opportunity and advancement. They are taking me in with no management experience and giving me an opportunity to turn the store around because I have a very good reputation on the west coast. While they were looking for someone with prior management experience, they decided to offer the position to me-I really was surprised.

I'd have to commit for a year but this is a position that can open a lot of doors which is great. I just don't want to get in over my head and not be able to pay for all of my expenses.

If you are young this is doable.

Just do the math and crunch the numbers.

Your take home pay at 50K is going to be about 35K a year. So, less than 3K a month take home.

Apartment at least 900K, maybe better if you can share a 2 bedroom with someone, let's say $700.

Car insurance $100 a month. Food. Electricity.etc.

How young are you? You can live here on $50K, but you won't live well, that's all I'm saying. And you are not getting a nice apartment for $900K a month.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
I agree with the general consensus. Its going to be real tough. You have no idea how expensive NYC is. Now, if you consider this as a stepping stone the it may not be that bad, you will be living with zero to very minimal savings if you cannot find decent accomodation.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Unless there is a chance for you to be long term and make some serious (and by serious I mean like $150K minimum) cash, then just forget it. Not worth it, unless you just want to experience it for a year or two and then go back.

Your management people are being totally unreasonable, especially if they live here.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Unless there is a chance for you to be long term and make some serious (and by serious I mean like $150K minimum) cash, then just forget it. Not worth it, unless you just want to experience it for a year or two and then go back.

Your management people are being totally unreasonable, especially if they live here.
Agreed ..I worked remote for a company in Seattle and they paid to the market.

You could get by on 80 if youre willing to live further out east and very small.
Wheres the store opening?

Crooks

Old 01-23-2010, 04:08 PM

11 posts, read 14,215 times
My location will be in Garden City 11530. I just decided to go for it-if I perform well, I will receive a pay increase after being there a little while. I'm mid 20's and I don't have any children to support. I am doing it for the experience and the fact that they are giving me a chance with no management experience. So, we'll see. If I'm not happy, I will relocate after my one year.

My boyfriend is planning to relocate in a couple of months which would help with the living expenses but I am still budgeting as if I were to live on my own.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
My location will be in Garden City 11530. I just decided to go for it-if I perform well, I will receive a pay increase after being there a little while. I'm mid 20's and I don't have any children to support. I am doing it for the experience and the fact that they are giving me a chance with no management experience. So, we'll see. If I'm not happy, I will relocate after my one year.

My boyfriend is planning to relocate in a couple of months which would help with the living expenses but I am still budgeting as if I were to live on my own.

Good luck. If things are tight you can always get a second job to pick up a few extra bucks. I had two jobs into my mid/late 20's - my 'real' job and another one to pick up cash that allowed me to pay off college loans and save.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:

Maybe try Hicksville/Bethpage It might be a great opportunity.
LI is a great place to live.

Im fairly sure your bosses are aware you wont be living in GC.
They know damn well where theyre opening AND they are going to pay TOP DOLLAR for that square footage/demographic.
Dont let them cry poverty.

Perhaps they dont value their employees
Offering you 50k is an insult considering you cant live on 50k in Seattle either.

Tell him you want 65 plus the 12k
Dont worry...no one else will be willing to relocate here for it either.
Because its impossible.

FWIW McDs GMs make six figures on LI..
I know Janiitors making more than 50k here.

Crooks

Old 01-23-2010, 05:41 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Now that you have decided to accept the position, I still recommend against living in Queens. Garden City is very nice so at least you know that you will be working in a nice town. First choice for apartment searches would be Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Westbury. You could also look in Oceanside, Mineola, Island Park, or even Long Beach. The nice part about working in Garden City and living in any of the above mentioned towns or others in the same vicinity is that your driving commute should be under 30 minutes (except maybe from Long Beach or Island Park) and that you can avoid parkways, thereby avoiding the type of traffic that gives you a daily headache or an anxiety attack if it is snowing. Just about any apartment you find in Nassau County will have a reasonable commute to Garden City.

With that salary, you won't be able to save or put anything away in an IRA or 401K. You will have to live very frugally and consider taking a weekend job. I honestly hope you already have a nice-for-work wardrobe because you won't have too much money for buying anything new. Make sure that you have enough money for car maintenance, NYS car registration and NYS driver's license, co-pays for doctor visits, medications, and dental work. Perhaps, you can get your company to pay for registering your car in NY and your NY driver's license. Every little bit will help. Anticipate having negative income until your career moves up a bit. Be wary of renting a cheaper illegal apartment because tenants can get kicked out. If you have any questions about a particular neighborhood, you are more than welcome to ask them here.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
CR1583, Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village and places that have a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address that are not in the Village of Garden City are in the Hamlet of East Garden City, the Hamlet of Garden City South, the Hamlet of Franklin Square and the Village of Stewart Manor; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Garden City that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" and "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address.

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a place to rent that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island