Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times

Advertisements

What town was this, do these people live in? Anyone know?

I hope they were indeed helped by the show. They seem like nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 03:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Dunno but it was pretty bad.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 AM

183 posts, read 618,944 times
Hoarders are everywhere! I love the show and everytime I watch it I want to clean and lighten up my load. I am a collector of things but nothing like these people - not yet anyway - lol

Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM

120 posts, read 217,113 times
my father was like that. when he passed away, we threw out some much crap. most of it were tools but alot of it was crap. by the time we were done, the only valuable things we found were 9 autographed baseballs from the yankees from 1934 to 1951

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
The thing people fail to realise about excessive hoarders is that it can be considered an illness.

I mean, I have seen this show...and it can destroy people's lives living like that. How in their right mind can anyone stand it? I mean I don't love to clean & straighten up, but my god, this is sort of ridiculous how some people live.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM

341 posts, read 1,535,852 times
I saw that this week. I think the couple from LI mentioned that they took his Dad to Smithtown Hospital when he had the heart attack in the van, so i was guessing they lived in Suffolk.

it was very sad. The husband is going to be easier to help than that wife.

This all a form of OCD... the believe that somehow, holding onto these things will ward off bad things.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwaters View Post
Hoarders are everywhere! I love the show and everytime I watch it I want to clean and lighten up my load. I am a collector of things but nothing like these people - not yet anyway - lol
I joked with my boyfriend that if he didn't do something about his basement, I was going to call in the television show.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM

120 posts, read 217,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I saw that this week. I think the couple from LI mentioned that they took his Dad to Smithtown Hospital when he had the heart attack in the van, so i was guessing they lived in Suffolk.

it was very sad. The husband is going to be easier to help than that wife.

This all a form of OCD... the believe that somehow, holding onto these things will ward off bad things.
not my father, he held onto things because they were or might be valuable one day, or in case something breaks, he has a replacement or that tool can fix it.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM

241 posts, read 732,625 times
I have that show on my DVR. When I need inspiration to clean, I put it on. Anyone who knows me says I am the cleanest most organized person they know. I have no issues with throwing anything out. I really feel bad for these people because it is a mental illness and they need professional help. I am the opposite end of the spectrum, so I can't relate, but I truly feel bad for these people.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
I was working in emergency services in the state of Oklahoma when we received a call that a strange odor was emanating from a residence. Turned out the occupant was a hoarder. Had junk piled up almost to the ceiling. She would basically low crawl over the top of it and had little areas burrowed out where she would sleep. Turns out that she slid head first down by her front door and got stuck. She died there.

In Oklahoma during the summer it can get up to 123 degrees with the heat index. This house had no electricity, no AC. She melted onto the door and we had to peel her off where her greasy outline and tufts of blond hair remained. Kind of like a gory shroud of Turan. The smell was so overpowering we had to put q-tips dipped in vicks into our nostrils.

Hoarding is definitely a disease. I don't understand it, I try to watch the show but it always reminds me of that grim day in OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island