Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Yes they had morning prayer as every Catholic school does. They strive to lead the way in sportsmanship, but at the end of the day it's not a school that is creating all devout Catholics (I'm not). It's more about creating "good people".
Chaminade is most certainly about the total package; definitely a bit a ways from a seminary but does make religion play a large part. I do think they strive to create devout Catholics out of every boy but they certainly don't always succeed. They sure didn't with my son! Despite all the praying and masses, he's an atheist!!! I sort of knew that even when he was accepted back in his 8th grade year. I used to tease him that a condition of completion was entering the seminary after graduation. I'm a mean parent! Hey, what fun are kids if you can't bust their chops a little?!

My son graduated in '08 and he said prayers took place numerous times each day. I guess it depended on the teacher and particular class but praying definitely wasn't just once a day, at not when he attended. There were other religious elements besides daily prayers and masses too - retreats and - I forget now what they were called - but there were prayer vigils that also took place at night along with reenacting the stations of the cross each Easter, etc.

And yes, the saying about the Chaminade Man doing the right thing at the right time because it's the right thing to do and not because anyone is watching is reiterated many times over the course of four years. It's deeply embedded in my memory and I'm only a parent!

Basically Chaminade is about three things - academics, religion, and the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Chaminade boys wear pantyhose, doo dah, doo dah...

Sorry. I went to St. John the Baptist. Singing that was de rigeur.

All in good fun.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:36 PM

416 posts, read 697,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Chaminade is most certainly about the total package; definitely a bit a ways from a seminary but does make religion play a large part. I do think they strive to create devout Catholics out of every boy but they certainly don't always succeed. They sure didn't with my son! Despite all the praying and masses, he's an atheist!!! I sort of knew that even when he was accepted back in his 8th grade year. I used to tease him that a condition of completion was entering the seminary after graduation. I'm a mean parent! Hey, what fun are kids if you can't bust their chops a little?!

My son graduated in '08 and he said prayers took place numerous times each day. I guess it depended on the teacher and particular class but praying definitely wasn't just once a day, at not when he attended. There were other religious elements besides daily prayers and masses too - retreats and - I forget now what they were called - but there were prayer vigils that also took place at night along with reenacting the stations of the cross each Easter, etc.

And yes, the saying about the Chaminade Man doing the right thing at the right time because it's the right thing to do and not because anyone is watching is reiterated many times over the course of four years. It's deeply embedded in my memory and I'm only a parent!

Basically Chaminade is about three things - academics, religion, and the military.
Maybe we said prayers more often than I remember (it was going through the motions as some points), but about the military? I don't remember anything about the military, other than "support for the troops" and the gold star mass honoring Chaminade graduates who died in service to the country.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Chaminade boys wear pantyhose, doo dah, doo dah...

Sorry. I went to St. John the Baptist. Singing that was de rigeur.

All in good fun.
lol

I remember singing that at Sacred Heart on occassion. I forgot about it...brings back some memories.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
lol

I remember singing that at Sacred Heart on occassion. I forgot about it...brings back some memories.
I never heard the pantyhose version, I always thought it was "take bubble baths".

Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM

290 posts, read 583,012 times
"Basically Chaminade is about three things - academics, religion, and the military."

you forgot two -- arrogance & elitism.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
GPC

Quote:
Maybe we said prayers more often than I remember (it was going through the motions as some points), but about the military? I don't remember anything about the military, other than "support for the troops" and the gold star mass honoring Chaminade graduates who died in service to the country.
Yes, the Gold Start mass is a big event each year but there's also quite a bit of focus on military life throughout the year. When my son attended there were quite a few guest speakers who were big shots in the military (sorry I can't recall any names; I'm not the best American citizen in that I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing - no offense to any servicemen meant) along with numerous articles written about alumni who served in the school newsletters. There were other events as well but I can't remember the specifics. I'm now focused on college life with my son so Chaminade stuff is fading a bit from my memory. I'll always be glad he went though; it's a great school in so many ways.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Yes, the Gold Start mass is a big event each year but there's also quite a bit of focus on military life throughout the year. When my son attended there were quite a few guest speakers who were big shots in the military (sorry I can't recall any names; I'm not the best American citizen in that I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing - no offense to any servicemen meant) along with numerous articles written about alumni who served in the school newsletters. There were other events as well but I can't remember the specifics. I'm now focused on college life with my son so Chaminade stuff is fading a bit from my memory. I'll always be glad he went though; it's a great school in so many ways.
I don't doubt what you say here happened, but at the end of the day I don't feel it's accurate to say that Chaminade is "about the military". I think the focus is on alumni who have served, not necessarily the military in and of itself.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
GPC

Quote:
I don't doubt what you say here happened, but at the end of the day I don't feel it's accurate to say that Chaminade is "about the military". I think the focus is on alumni who have served, not necessarily the military in and of itself.
I just meant there was a strong emphasis in general.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
Quote:
I never heard the pantyhose version, I always thought it was "take bubble baths".
That was the other version. You are right..bubble baths was the most popular version of the song. I'm trying to remember back to 1998. It seems like so long ago. Memories!!

Also instead of Chaminade, we called it Chaminerd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island