Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:41 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,474 times

Advertisements

I've live very close to the area the OP is asking about, and while I can't speak for that particular road, I can say that the area has changed a lot (for the good) in the 13 years I've lived here. There are rentals with day laborers, but they don't bother anyone. They're just trying to get along in the world like everyone else. I find the people in Centereach VERY friendly (especially having grown up in Smithtown). That was the first thing I noticed.

I love the location - everything is around us. The houses are not crowded together and there is a nice mix of new houses that have gone up, making the area much more attractive.

As for the schools, I have an 10yo and 13yo and have had them in public as well as private. My eldest is now at Dawnwood and she and I love it (for the past few years she was in private and, honestly, DMS is just as good). The school now has all grades (and I mean ALL grades) on line, and the principal really stays on top of things. Before my kid gets anything she wants, I go to the website to check her grades (they'll even have the homework grades...so you get a great idea what's going on).

I do wish the area had more college educated people, but I guess they're the ones willing to pay the price to live in the areas known for the good schools and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I've live very close to the area the OP is asking about, and while I can't speak for that particular road, I can say that the area has changed a lot (for the good) in the 13 years I've lived here. There are rentals with day laborers, but they don't bother anyone. They're just trying to get along in the world like everyone else. I find the people in Centereach VERY friendly (especially having grown up in Smithtown). That was the first thing I noticed.

I love the location - everything is around us. The houses are not crowded together and there is a nice mix of new houses that have gone up, making the area much more attractive.

As for the schools, I have an 10yo and 13yo and have had them in public as well as private. My eldest is now at Dawnwood and she and I love it (for the past few years she was in private and, honestly, DMS is just as good). The school now has all grades (and I mean ALL grades) on line, and the principal really stays on top of things. Before my kid gets anything she wants, I go to the website to check her grades (they'll even have the homework grades...so you get a great idea what's going on).

I do wish the area had more college educated people, but I guess they're the ones willing to pay the price to live in the areas known for the good schools and such.
I can't see who any illegal rentals (not renting to illegals, although I bet some are, but illegal apartments) help improve an area. (Any area, not just Centereach) More cars, more congestion, more traffic.

As for college-educated people, being close to Stony Brook and affordable might help long term as young graduates look to settle in the area.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I can't see who any illegal rentals (not renting to illegals, although I bet some are, but illegal apartments) help improve an area. (Any area, not just Centereach) More cars, more congestion, more traffic.

As for college-educated people, being close to Stony Brook and affordable might help long term as young graduates look to settle in the area.
The problem with some college educated people not settling here is due to the fact that they know there are not many jobs on Long Island. Some also don't want to live all the way out east and commute to the city. What we need is job growth, and I don't see that happening for a while.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
The problem with some college educated people not settling here is due to the fact that they know there are not many jobs on Long Island. Some also don't want to live all the way out east and commute to the city. What we need is job growth, and I don't see that happening for a while.
Job growth to prevent brain drain, however a lot of job opportunities we see lately are retail and not really requiring a degree. LI dropped the ball losing the company Flowergarden's husband works for, as well as not creating an incubator of sorts out in Calverton.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
I heard Plum island is up for grabs, any takers ?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:13 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Have you considered Rocky Point? Sound Beach?

Old 09-04-2010, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
centereach aesthetically speaking, is a dump! Houses look like they were built in 1930 and it is apparent that not many people have kept up with renovations. It is the kind of town where you will drive down the streets of a neighboorhood and see 6 cars in a driveway (of course a typical drive way can't fit six) the other two will be on the lawn. You will see old RV's in the street, coffee trucks in driveways, extc. Lots of renters because the area is significantly cheaper than other areas, you get what you pay for.... And if your wondering why the area is significantly cheaper, read the above one more time. :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island