Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else from the LI CD board received a letter informing them that the Census letter will be coming in a week? I just received one today. If I hadn't, I would have been so perplexed and confused next week when the actual census did arrive.

What a waste of money and paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 AM

292 posts, read 820,209 times
LOL. I have not.

It's the gub-ment, what do you expect?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Maybe sending out a mailing saying you'll be getting mail will be next.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
Got it in todays mail.

Agree, what a waste of money.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 PM

156 posts, read 449,119 times
Got one too.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:27 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
They have done this in the past as well, and its with $$ that is already budgeted for the Census Bureau. The main reason why they do this, is the reminder does tend to increase the response rate which means less people they need to go door to door to.

A side note, how are those who live in basement apartments that are technically illegal counted? We have heard for years, how young people are leaving Long Island, and while its true to an extent could part of it be that some young people are just not counted. Many 20 somethings like myself who no longer live with their parents live in basement apartments.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
yes, got one today. confused me, because why would they waste money and postage to say hey one more letter coming next week.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM

169 posts, read 675,384 times
Default hmm

I would've expected a note warning me that a note will be coming to me and to stay tuned for more info!!

I love teaser mail!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They have done this in the past as well, and its with $$ that is already budgeted for the Census Bureau. The main reason why they do this, is the reminder does tend to increase the response rate which means less people they need to go door to door to.

A side note, how are those who live in basement apartments that are technically illegal counted? We have heard for years, how young people are leaving Long Island, and while its true to an extent could part of it be that some young people are just not counted. Many 20 somethings like myself who no longer live with their parents live in basement apartments.
I would say the landlord should count the tenants when s/he fills out the census. The more people that are reported in an area, the more Federal money they (supposedly) qualify for, so any landlord who understands that knows it is to his/her benefit. The census workers cannot "turn the landlord in" for having an illegal apartment anymore than they will turn illegal aliens in who are counted, as per their privacy policy on the website:

Quote:
Protecting Your Personal Information
Federal law protects your identity and the information you give us.
Print|Share this page|AAA

"No one can get access to census data. It is rock solid secure."

-- James T. Christy, Los Angeles Regional Office Director, U.S. Census Bureau
We depend on your cooperation and trust, and promise to protect the confidentiality of your information. Title 13 of the U.S. Code protects the confidentiality of all your information and violating this law is a crime with severe penalties. In addition, other federal laws, including the Confidential Statistical Efficiency Act and the Privacy Act reinforce these protections.

* Private information is never published

It is against the law to disclose or publish any of the following information:

Names
Addresses including GPS coordinates
Social Security numbers
Telephone numbers
We Collect Information to Produce Statistics
We use your information to produce statistics. Your answers cannot be used against you by any government agency or court.

Sworn for Life to Protect Your Confidentiality
All Census Bureau employees take the oath of nondisclosure and are sworn for life to protect the confidentiality of the data.

Violating the Oath Is a Serious Crime
The penalty for unlawful disclosure is a fine of up to $250,000 or imprisonment of up to 5 years, or both.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
yes, got one today. confused me, because why would they waste money and postage to say hey one more letter coming next week.
It's all part of their anti-census fraud master plan:

Looking Out For Census Fraud | WBNG-TV: News Sports, Weather Binghamton, New York | Local Top Stories (http://www.wbng.com/news/local/87161287.html - broken link)

Quote:
In the coming weeks, you'll be asked by the government to provide information about your household.

But how do you make sure you're information isn't falling into the wrong hands?

Action News reporter Gabe Osterhout has some tips to keep yourself safe this census season.

Information will soon arrive in your mailbox from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The first document will be a letter, then about a week later, you'll receive your census questionnaire.
Go to the story to find out the rest ...

PS: I still think it is lame and a waste of money to send a "pre-census letter" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island