Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Please don't send us the unions! I had enough of them growing up in Rockland.
Thank you for being honest!

It's unbelievable how many people will not admit that the public employee unions are screwing the taxpayers royally!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thank you for being honest!

It's unbelievable how many people will not admit that the public employee unions are screwing the taxpayers royally!
I work for a school system in a non-teaching postion in Virginia. I feel the area districts pay a fair salary, the expectations of the teachers is fair and the areas's housing costs are in check. I agree with previous writers that the NY housing market/taxes/cost of living is off the charts but this affects every one not just teachers. Northern Va complains alot about cost of living but if thats the case then don't accept the job when you come out of school. It's not the districts fault that you didn't look at cost of living, most parts of the state a new teacher can afford an apartment, car etc. In time you save up and then buy a house....just my 2 cents

Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I work for a school system in a non-teaching postion in Virginia. I feel the area districts pay a fair salary, the expectations of the teachers is fair and the areas's housing costs are in check. I agree with previous writers that the NY housing market/taxes/cost of living is off the charts but this affects every one not just teachers. Northern Va complains alot about cost of living but if thats the case then don't accept the job when you come out of school. It's not the districts fault that you didn't look at cost of living, most parts of the state a new teacher can afford an apartment, car etc. In time you save up and then buy a house....just my 2 cents
The teachers' unions on LI don't think that's good enough and they think the property taxpayers should GIVE UP THE FUNDS so the teachers can do better than that. They think property taxes can be perpetually raised on into eternity. If the taxpayers had to pay 50% of their income in property tax on LI, the unions would say, "So what? We want more! That will cost you another 10%!"

Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Correct. However, the problem is, not all of us have kids...and we still have to pay. Ultimately that is why I have such a problem with the teaching profession...not teachers per se, but the politics of it all.

I don't have kids, I most likely never will, I don't use the schools, why should I pay for them?

Your property value is partially a reflection of how well the schools are doing? So, keeping that in mind, should you decide to sell, you will reap the benefits of that excellent school. Now, on the flip side, should the school become like Uniondale, how likely do you think it would be you would get a good price for your co-op?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Your property value is partially a reflection of how well the schools are doing? So, keeping that in mind, should you decide to sell, you will reap the benefits of that excellent school. Now, on the flip side, should the school become like Uniondale, how likely do you think it would be you would get a good price for your co-op?
She is in Long Beach, so that one won't work on her!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
The teachers' unions on LI don't think that's good enough and they think the property taxpayers should GIVE UP THE FUNDS so the teachers can do better than that. They think property taxes can be perpetually raised on into eternity. If the taxpayers had to pay 50% of their income in property tax on LI, the unions would say, "So what? We want more! That will cost you another 10%!"
The real kicker is the Teacher's Union is run by the teachers. Stop hiding behind the glass and admit it already - the teachers are greedy. Do you know how many teachers I've seen laughing at us private sector folk because they have summers off, every holiday you can think of off, lifetime job/tenure, ability to walk out with 60% of their pay, lifetime healthcare, etc. I have a guy on my floor whose wife works for the school system - he says between him and his wife, they will make more retired, then they made working. That is what's wrong with the system. It's a MONEY GRAB!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
She is in Long Beach, so that one won't work on her!
Long Beach has crummy schools, and yet it's still a desirable area for many though. So schools don't always reflect the community around it and vice versa.

EDIT: my friend just sold an incredibly tiny bungalow on the west end for $735k. The schools' quality doesn't matter b/c people are still buying in LB and getting craploads of $$ for their homes.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
The real kicker is the Teacher's Union is run by the teachers. Stop hiding behind the glass and admit it already - the teachers are greedy. Do you know how many teachers I've seen laughing at us private sector folk because they have summers off, every holiday you can think of off, lifetime job/tenure, ability to walk out with 60% of their pay, lifetime healthcare, etc. I have a guy on my floor whose wife works for the school system - he says between him and his wife, they will make more retired, then they made working. That is what's wrong with the system. It's a MONEY GRAB!!!
Oh but isn't it all worth it?

Isn't the only reason that Johnny can read is because they are so well compensated?

I heard that the children of illegal alien peasants who cannot speak, read or write english and who never went to school in their home country and who just attended 12th grade in a LI public school are all accepted to Ivys and on track to be Rhodes, Oxford and Fulbright scholars ... it's all because of the money grab! How miraculous!

If they went to catholic school or another private school on LI I shudder to think of the results they would have with those crummy low paid excuses for teachers in those schools!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Long Beach has crummy schools, and yet it's still a desirable area for many though. So schools don't always reflect the community around it and vice versa.

EDIT: my friend just sold an incredibly tiny bungalow on the west end for $735k. The schools' quality doesn't matter b/c people are still buying in LB and getting craploads of $$ for their homes.
That's right! People can't toss the old "high property taxes that go directly in unions' pockets are the only thing that stand between you and having your home valued at a lot less money" argument at you.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
That's right! People can't toss the old "high property taxes that go directly in unions' pockets are the only thing that stand between you and having your home valued at a lot less money" argument at you.
well yes, but someone in this thread stated that the quality of the schools affect your home values- not necessarily true, as in Long Beach. Crappy schools, high property values are the case there.

I'm not buying that me paying school tax is benefitting the community. Long Beach has crappy schools, so that cannot be attributed to LB's high values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island