Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That has to be he most ridiculous post I've ever seen. Most of us who can't afford to live closer to the city are just honest, hardworking people. Also, there are some that could afford to live closer to the city, but for whatever reason choose not to.
I was never more sincere than this post. Everyone I know feels the same way, including all of the people I work with inSuffolk. They all call it SlowFolk. They are all dying to get out but cannot afford it. I am sure some choose to live their but most do it because they cannot afford to live in Nassau or closer to the city. That was my case. I should have listened to all of my friends and my mom when she begged me not to move there. She was right yet again. Just look at that idiot video that was released last year Suffolk State of Mind. All of my Suffolk buddies were cringing at the embarrassing losers that were in that video. I would much rather live right on top of each other out here than be a little further away from the neighbors out there, who are mostly comprised of 21st century hillbillies with their quads roaring down the street, to the go cart and paint ball trash. It's as if everyone who is in the 40s and over are still living their high school lives. You can have it. I am not fear mongeriing. I feel the same way about Suffolk as my parents families and friends felt when they moved from the city to Nasau. They would never come to visit. My grandfather couldn't take the "country".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I was never more sincere than this post. Everyone I know feels the same way, including all of the people I work with inSuffolk. They all call it SlowFolk. They are all dying to get out but cannot afford it. I am sure some choose to live their but most do it because they cannot afford to live in Nassau or closer to the city. That was my case. I should have listened to all of my friends and my mom when she begged me not to move there. She was right yet again. Just look at that idiot video that was released last year Suffolk State of Mind. All of my Suffolk buddies were cringing at the embarrassing losers that were in that video. I would much rather live right on top of each other out here than be a little further away from the neighbors out there, who are mostly comprised of 21st century hillbillies with their quads roaring down the street, to the go cart and paint ball trash. It's as if everyone who is in the 40s and over are still living their high school lives. You can have it. I am not fear mongeriing. I feel the same way about Suffolk as my parents families and friends felt when they moved from the city to Nasau. They would never come to visit. My grandfather couldn't take the "country".
You may feel that way. But even if us in Suffolk are there only because we can't afford Nassau or Queens, we are still honest, hardworking people, not "EBT people" as you say.

One thing I don't understand is, why is it that this forum thinks Ronkonkoma is white trash? That is not the impression that most actual people on Long Island have. Do people on this board confuse Ronkonkoma with another area? It just seems completely bizzare to me.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
You may feel that way. But even if us in Suffolk are there only because we can't afford Nassau or Queens, we are still honest, hardworking people, not "EBT people" as you say.

One thing I don't understand is, why is it that this forum thinks Ronkonkoma is white trash? That is not the impression that most actual people on Long Island have. Do people on this board confuse Ronkonkoma with another area? It just seems completely bizzare to me.
I think people get Ronkonkoma and Rocky Point confused. That's gotta be it.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:27 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowDone View Post
A buddy of mine think's that when you tell someone from LI that you live in Ronkonkoma the first thing that pops in there head is that its white trashy, not a complete dump but nothing great. Do you guys think there is a lot of lower income white trashy people in Ronkonkoma, like white guys wearing sweat pants no shirt long dirty beard and a brown bag in his hand? Beat up bungalows with 4 foot lawns and an old chevy engine block on a tree stump on his front lawn?

What is the over all thought of Ronkonkoma when you first hear about the town? He thinks he made the wrong choice by moving there.

Regards
Airport. Basically a normal Long Island town.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
I've lived in both counties, and I'd take Suffolk over Nassau any day of the week. Nassau is crowded, the people I've encountered have been mostly rude and snobby, and the obsession with material possessions (having the "right" car/bag/shoes/whatever) is significantly worse in Nassau than it is in Suffolk (although I won't deny that it's present in Suffolk as well).

To be clear, I'm not saying everyone in Nassau is this way, nor am I suggesting there aren't people in Suffolk who are dreadful - I know some great people who live in Nassau and some awful folks in Suffolk, and vice-versa - but this notion that everyone in Suffolk is a white trash hillbilly is utterly ridiculous. The fact is, you see what you're looking for - TRusso,you came to Suffolk expecting everyone to be loser hillbillies, and so that's what you saw. If that's what helps you sleep at night while you pay more $15K a year in property taxes on some mid-century midget house on a micro-plot in Nassau, more power to you.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post

but this notion that everyone in Suffolk is a white trash hillbilly is utterly ridiculous.
I agree.

When I went to my big University upstate, several upstate students asked me if Suffolk Co. was "ghetto", "redneck" or something else denigrating and ridiculous. I also remember being in a large lecture hall and when the professor said he was from Long Island, most clapped for him but then when he named his Suffolk town, it turned into a LOUD boo.

That's because a lot of the Nassau County students there liked to bash and talk down about Suffolk County.

The funny thing is that [unless provoked] I RARELY EVER hear Suffolk County people comparing themselves to or bashing Nassau County (whether at the school or here on the island, and I live near the Suff/Nass border so i'm exposed to both groups).

BTW: That school was 1/2 Long Islanders(especially Nassau ppl), 1/4 International Students and 1/4 Upstate or NYC students.

Last edited by Guidance100; 07-05-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 PM

What a lot of people have forgotten is that up until the 2010 Census, Suffolk County was actually the state's richest county (by household income).

Now Nassau County surpasses Suffolk County by a few thousand dollars; but whatever income benefit they have over Suffolk is quickly eaten up by higher taxes and an overall more expensive cost of living.

Nassau profile: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/36059.html
Suffolk profile: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/36/36103.html

Last edited by Guidance100; 07-05-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
I agree.

When I went to my big University upstate, several upstate students asked me if Suffolk Co. was "ghetto", "redneck" or something else denigrating and ridiculous. I also remember being in a large lecture hall and when the professor said he was from Long Island, most clapped for him but then when he named his Suffolk town, it turned into a LOUD boo.

That's because a lot of the Nassau County students there liked to bash and talk down about Suffolk County.

The funny thing is that [unless provoked] I RARELY EVER hear Suffolk County people comparing themselves to or bashing Nassau County (whether at the school or here on the island, and I live near the Suff/Nass border so i'm exposed to both groups).

BTW: That school was 1/2 Long Islanders(especially Nassau ppl), 1/4 International Students and 1/4 Upstate or NYC students.
Was this a SUNY by any chance? Albany or Buffalo? Just wondering because I went to a SUNY upstate where 65% of the students came from LI so I know very well what you mean..lol.

As far as wealth goes, Nassau will always surpass Suffolk..because of its proximity to NYC and those big IBers and hedge fund managers who wish to live in LI, would rather live in Great Neck, Sands Pt, Garden City, Manhasset, Brookville, Muttontown- which are most likely 3x richer than the Suffolk counterparts (w the exception of the Hamptons). Suffolk is desirable because, yes, land is bigger, taxes slightly less- but look at how far you are from everything. Living in Suffolk is like living on the last house at the deep end of a dead end street.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Was this a SUNY by any chance? Albany or Buffalo? Just wondering because I went to a SUNY upstate where 65% of the students came from LI so I know very well what you mean..lol.

As far as wealth goes, Nassau will always surpass Suffolk..because of its proximity to NYC and those big IBers and hedge fund managers who wish to live in LI, would rather live in Great Neck, Sands Pt, Garden City, Manhasset, Brookville, Muttontown- which are most likely 3x richer than the Suffolk counterparts (w the exception of the Hamptons). Suffolk is desirable because, yes, land is bigger, taxes slightly less- but look at how far you are from everything. Living in Suffolk is like living on the last house at the deep end of a dead end street.

.... if, of course, you believe that civilization ends at the Queens line. i know this may be shocking to you, but it actually doesn't. There's lots to do in Suffolk, more than in Nassau actually, especially in the summer (fairs and festivals, outdoor activities like biking/hiking, kayaking/canoeing/etc., several cute village/downtown-type places where you could spend a day walking around, I could go on). If all you want to do is be in NYC, then yes, Suffolk's at a disadvantage. But there's more to life than NYC for some people.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

I attended UB in Buffalo.

And I agree with "Infoseeker" who said that Suffolk County also has a lot of activities. It has a lot of family friendly activities, however, I just wish it had more options/activities for young adults/teenagers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island