Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

^^^
The degree/severity of white trashiness when it comes to LI'ers is nowhere near that of other areas in this country!

When we have frequent filming by "COPS" and other law enforcement reality shows on LI and they make a "Police Women of Nassau County" and/or "Police Women of Suffolk County," then I will take that as a sign to reassess my position. Right now, we have a shortage of shirtless, sleazy white guys for the cops to deal with compared to the rest of the country or the crime reality TV craze would have hit here, especially considering a lot of LI is in the TMZ. The last thing I heard about them doing was 1 measly episode of "Speeders." Wow! Such awful white trash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
The degree/severity of white trashiness when it comes to LI'ers is nowhere near that of other areas in this country!

When we have frequent filming by "COPS" and other law enforcement reality shows on LI and they make a "Police Women of Nassau County" and/or "Police Women of Suffolk County," then I will take that as a sign to reassess my position. Right now, we have a shortage of shirtless, sleazy white guys for the cops to deal with compared to the rest of the country or the crime reality TV craze would have hit here, especially considering a lot of LI is in the TMZ. The last thing I heard about them doing was 1 measly episode of "Speeders." Wow! Such awful white trash!
They were running a special on wife beaters today at Walmart. Women's XXL thong underwear was also marked down. Pair it up with a pair of undersized sweat pants from Goodwill, some of the Dogs Playing Poker Art mentioned in another thread, a velvet Jesus and velvet Elvis painting over the milk crate entertainment center, etc., and we have most of the props and costumes needed for a LI debut on COPS.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LONG ISLANDERS ACTUALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WHITE TRASH REALLY IS.
But, let's be honest... Many areas just like Ronko could easily be considered the white trash OF LI. Speaking in relative terms.

It all really comes down to your perspective.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
You keep telling yourself that. Long Island has more white trash that not.
New Jersey is worse.
Just look up the term Piney...
Still beats soccer moms in Escalades and Yukons and rickety trucks with guys standing on the back.
Pineys have rickety trucks too, but they dont stand in the beds when they are moving.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:34 PM

51 posts, read 168,243 times
So Ronkonkoma is kind of trashy, with parts that are decent. Thats what I get from reading these replies.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:34 PM

265 posts, read 945,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowDone View Post
So Ronkonkoma is kind of trashy, with parts that are decent. Thats what I get from reading these replies.
No, not really. Ronkonkoma is a nice middle-class area, with some fairly run-down looking houses here and there.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:41 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
There are a few areas by the lake which are a bit trashy, theres a new-er developement that I swear not one person owns a lawn mower, and a smattering of other streets. For the most case it is a blue collar neighborhood.

I don't know why, but thinking about it the areas closer to the lake seem to be crappier then those farther away.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Ronkonkoma is a mixed bag and walks a fine line. I think I know of the area South of Smithtown Blvd west of Rosevale, I looked at a house over there and essentially got the same impression: not a 'bad' area necessarily, but looking left and right at the adjecent properties I knew it would not be a good idea to buy there for aesthetics alone. It's a so-so area, but it's hard to really put your finger on the exact reason. It's probably the old bungalows. I ended up in Nesconset a few blocks over west of Old Nicholls and fixed up an old bungalow, it just seems like a nicer area.
Fair observation.....

Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Ronkonkoma is a mixed bag and walks a fine line. I think I know of the area South of Smithtown Blvd west of Rosevale, I looked at a house over there and essentially got the same impression: not a 'bad' area necessarily, but looking left and right at the adjecent properties I knew it would not be a good idea to buy there for aesthetics alone. It's a so-so area, but it's hard to really put your finger on the exact reason. It's probably the old bungalows. I ended up in Nesconset a few blocks over west of Old Nicholls and fixed up an old bungalow, it just seems like a nicer area.
Spot on. Yes those are the old bungalows. They were really summer cottages many moons ago for people from the city when they came out to enjoy the lake. And yes its not a bad area, just that the homes are not kept up.

But calling it white trash is like saying Gordon Heights, Wyandanch and Central Islip are great places to live.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
The real question should be what parts of Long Island, if any, aren't trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island