Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM

168 posts, read 314,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
When the contract expires.....in East Williston it will be June 30, 2010, why can't each and every item in the contract be negotiated? Why are the percent increases & the number of years usually the only items on the table?

For example EW teachers under the current contract get unlimited sick & unlimited excusals for an illness in the family. Why are these items automatically carried over? The contract has expired and everything in the contract has expired, therefore everything should be open for negotiation...am I missing something?

They can be. Evey item is open. Its about give and take. If you want something back you have to give me something for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 PM

168 posts, read 314,431 times
Quick google search on NY Elevator mechanics wages Elevator Constructors

Mechanic in charge 50.25 per hour that 104k base without overtime
Construction Mechanic 41-44 per hour thats 85-92k base without OT
service mechanic 33.82 70k without OT base without OT

Benefits include health for entire family, pension, annuity and vacation

Sounds comparable... but wait thers more just like teachers you dont start at the top. 4 year apprenticeship plus mandatory classroom training. Hmm sound like annual step increases to me.

The average teacher is not overpaid on Long Island. Sorry

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Fighting union gig jobs by saying another union gig job pays similar is funny. Despite one being in the city and one not is rather remarkable.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM

401 posts, read 944,346 times
kaufouroh,
Why did you skip the bridge and meadow from someone complaining about school teachers to the Almighty condeming them. Is that not a leap...even in your own mind. Please stay in the ball park at least.
People are upset because their standard of living is dropping, and lets face it...Property taxes are a huge cut in our standard of living. When school taxes go up, they affect our propery taxes. If a teacher taught in most other states, this would not be an issue. If you have never taught in another state, you should research this issue and understand that it is somewhat unique to LI. Other states consolidate their school districts...thus making it less expensive for public education...Now comes the argument...Is it better education on LI because of the individual school districts. Well, if you look at studies....NO. LI does have a better educational output, but not for the money it puts out. So somewhere the money is being wasted...thus the discontent of the citizens. I ask the teachers...Do you know where the tax payers money is being wasted?? Do you know where it could be put to better use??

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,313 times
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/039/080/original/5008_9c00_420.gif?1265669754 (broken link)

Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
When the contract expires.....in East Williston it will be June 30, 2010, why can't each and every item in the contract be negotiated? Why are the percent increases & the number of years usually the only items on the table?

For example EW teachers under the current contract get unlimited sick & unlimited excusals for an illness in the family. Why are these items automatically carried over? The contract has expired and everything in the contract has expired, therefore everything should be open for negotiation...am I missing something?

No - you're not missing anything. Not only Can they, but every item IS renegotiated.
The bargaining sessions do not just last hours or days & consider only the "hot" topics. They go on for weeks or more likely months. Every single item in the contract is discussed in a give & take negotiation. Most items do get carried over from contract to contract however. Most items are noncontroversial and never get discussed publicly. The Hot Button items like % increase & # of years are what the media focuses on, so those are the items reported. Can you imagine a newspaper reporting every single item in a contract. Whew - we'd all fall asleep, and they'd run out of newsprint.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 AM

57,231 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
My school district has already had some funding cut from NYS. I am sure most, if not all, LI school districts have had the same.

What do you mean by "gone?" Are you saying there will be nothing, nada, zip next year?
The federal funding through the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (there was also one in 2008) for NY State ($ 4 billion) will be spent by this summer. The entire amount didn't go to the school districts, some wnet to colleges, etc. They can pass another act but remains to be seen, I don't think we can continue printing money. I still don't undertand why this funding went to education rather than other projects.

NY State won't dissappear as I said but it will be reduced because they obviously have their own problems.

NYS DOB: 2010-11 Executive Budget Briefing Book - Federal Funding for New York (http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBudget1011/fy1011littlebook/FederalFundingforNY.html - broken link)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The federal funding through the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (there was also one in 2008) for NY State ($ 4 billion) will be spent by this summer. The entire amount didn't go to the school districts, some wnet to colleges, etc. They can pass another act but remains to be seen, I don't think we can continue printing money. I still don't undertand why this funding went to education rather than other projects.

NY State won't dissappear as I said but it will be reduced because they obviously have their own problems.

NYS DOB: 2010-11 Executive Budget Briefing Book - Federal Funding for New York (http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBudget1011/fy1011littlebook/FederalFundingforNY.html - broken link)
I think that fed money just replaced what the state aid cut. So really, it just saved money for the state. Reminds me of the STAR program....all smoke and mirrors.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

From that website:

New York’s Federal Balance of Payments Shortfall

New York sends substantially more revenue to the Federal government than it receives in the form of Federal spending and aid. In 2008, the State’s negative balance of payments (BOP) between Federal taxes paid by its taxpayers and Federal spending in New York totaled $55.6 billion, the highest of any state in the nation. Over a ten-year period through 2008, the State's shortfall totaled more than $600 billion.
Top Ten State BOP Shortfalls
(2008 – $ in millions) State Shortfall New York (55,576) New Jersey (50,450) Minnesota (42,779) Illinois (34,199) Texas (25,671) Ohio (20,437) California (18,160) Connecticut (15,542) Delaware (14,966) Washington (10,451)

Top Ten State BOP Surpluses
(2008 – $ in millions) State Surplus Virginia 51,661 Kentucky 27,326 Maryland 23,773 Alabama 23,402 Arizona 18,500 South Carolina 18,452 Mississippi 17,401 Michigan 16,315 Florida 15,534 New Mexico 13,987 This BOP imbalance only will grow larger if New York is not treated fairly in the final heath care reform legislation that is expected to be approved soon by Congress and signed into law by the President. In the absence of an equitable reform agreement, New Yorkers will be responsible for paying a large share of the cost of health care reform in the form of additional taxes and other revenue increases, while Federal aid to the State remains essentially flat.

Doesn't seem fair

Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
From that website:

New York’s Federal Balance of Payments Shortfall

New York sends substantially more revenue to the Federal government than it receives in the form of Federal spending and aid. In 2008, the State’s negative balance of payments (BOP) between Federal taxes paid by its taxpayers and Federal spending in New York totaled $55.6 billion, the highest of any state in the nation. Over a ten-year period through 2008, the State's shortfall totaled more than $600 billion.
Top Ten State BOP Shortfalls
(2008 – $ in millions) State Shortfall New York (55,576) New Jersey (50,450) Minnesota (42,779) Illinois (34,199) Texas (25,671) Ohio (20,437) California (18,160) Connecticut (15,542) Delaware (14,966) Washington (10,451)

Top Ten State BOP Surpluses
(2008 – $ in millions) State Surplus Virginia 51,661 Kentucky 27,326 Maryland 23,773 Alabama 23,402 Arizona 18,500 South Carolina 18,452 Mississippi 17,401 Michigan 16,315 Florida 15,534 New Mexico 13,987 This BOP imbalance only will grow larger if New York is not treated fairly in the final heath care reform legislation that is expected to be approved soon by Congress and signed into law by the President. In the absence of an equitable reform agreement, New Yorkers will be responsible for paying a large share of the cost of health care reform in the form of additional taxes and other revenue increases, while Federal aid to the State remains essentially flat.

Doesn't seem fair
Then the state does the same exact thing to school district funding on LI. For every $1.00 we pay in school funding....the district gets .78 cents.

Screwed x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island