Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM

577 posts, read 980,011 times

Advertisements

RE:Moral of my long windedness, we took no raise this year, our contract expires in a little over 15 days, and I dont see a new one soon. especially one withe a pay raise in 15 days. Now the real moral, legistating this freeze is going to be a long expensive fight success or not.

What you fail to mention is that even without a contract you will be getting "step" increases. In fact teachers get 20 to 30 years worth of "step" increses depending on the district.

You also fail to mention that you will continue to get all the benefits of your "expired" contract until your union screws/.......I mean settles the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
RE:Moral of my long windedness, we took no raise this year, our contract expires in a little over 15 days, and I dont see a new one soon. especially one withe a pay raise in 15 days. Now the real moral, legistating this freeze is going to be a long expensive fight success or not.

What you fail to mention is that even without a contract you will be getting "step" increases. In fact teachers get 20 to 30 years worth of "step" increses depending on the district.

You also fail to mention that you will continue to get all the benefits of your "expired" contract until your union screws/.......I mean settles the contract.
LOOK MR ANGRY BOLD TYPE GUY!

I dont get 'step' increases. It takes 5 years for me to get to my pay rate, so for 5 years I am doing the same amount and skill of work as the guy in 20 years for less $$ I did mention that read it again.

I am not a LI teacher, I dont have 20 step grades.
You are correct, the benefits remain until a new contract changes them, but If it goes 5 years to settle a contract thats 5 years of a pay freeze, legally, and easily.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:36 AM

168 posts, read 314,725 times
Quote:

That ensures an uninterrupted service to the public. Do you really want the public sector like police and mass transit going on strike everytime the contract comes up. It benefits both parties. 20 step increases benefits the public by keeping the vaerage salary lower over a teachers career. They only make the bigger steps for the last few years. This is evidenced by the lower average salary of teachers compared to the top paid ones the newsrags insist on parading.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 AM

280 posts, read 247,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
That ensures an uninterrupted service to the public. Do you really want the public sector like police and mass transit going on strike everytime the contract comes up. It benefits both parties. 20 step increases benefits the public by keeping the vaerage salary lower over a teachers career. They only make the bigger steps for the last few years. This is evidenced by the lower average salary of teachers compared to the top paid ones the newsrags insist on parading.
Only in the public sector someone gets raise after raise after raise for doing the EXACT SAME JOB.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
empire building. if your staff is well paid you are guna be well paid.
voucher system will solve lots of problems. and the american subcontract fever monster will keep on getting fed.
1st step has already happened FTA undergrad with bad student loans replacing teachers.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-29-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 AM

577 posts, read 980,011 times
Quote:

We would get uninterrupted services anyway...teachers by law are not permitted to strike. There is zero pressure on the unions to settle in a timely manner since the teachers get "step" increases that most people are unaware of. In East Williston the teachers have even stalled in the past to await a new & friendlier School board.

Contract expires...all benefits expire....see how high the teachers would jump to settle right away.

Get rid of these step increses....In East Williston teachers will be getting about 8% increses on July 1, 2010 ( steps plus contract increase) ....but I guess "its all for the children"!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 AM

280 posts, read 247,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
empire building. if your staff is well paid you are guna be well paid.
voucher system will solve lots of problems. and the american subcontract fever monster will keep on getting fed.
1st step has already happened FTA undergrad with student loans replacing teachers.
dude, smoke another doobie. We don't want to become like Cali, and we don't need a voucher system, just less cost per employee.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 AM

168 posts, read 314,725 times
Quote:
We would get uninterrupted services anyway...teachers by law are not permitted to strike. There is zero pressure on the unions to settle in a timely manner since the teachers get "step" increases that most people are unaware of. In East Williston the teachers have even stalled in the past to await a new & friendlier School board.

Contract expires...all benefits expire....see how high the teachers would jump to settle right away.

Get rid of these step increses....In East Williston teachers will be getting about 8% increses on July 1, 2010 ( steps plus contract increase) ....but I guess "its all for the children"!
You need to look past the step "raises" All that means is they get lowballed in the beggining. The very laws that prevent them from going on strike are the same laws that keep the contract in place. You do understand that don't you. Its the same law. It can and does benefit both parties as well as the public.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Only in the public sector someone gets raise after raise after raise for doing the EXACT SAME JOB.
Its not a typical 'raise'
You are highered at a % of the full salary, each year you get closer to that full salary. It takes teachers longer to get that salary though.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
You need to look past the step "raises" All that means is they get lowballed in the beggining. The very laws that prevent them from going on strike are the same laws that keep the contract in place. You do understand that don't you. Its the same law. It can and does benefit both parties as well as the public.
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Contracts dont technically 'expire' they just are not permitted for renegotiation until a certian future date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island