Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 03:00 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,046,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
RE:That is why the avarage teachers pay is only 75k

Even at 75K...for working about 32 weeks per year with excellent benefits and actually teaching for 3:40 per day is a great great deal for teachers and a very very bad deal for taxpayers!

How many dozens, or even hundreds, of posts have you made on C-D repeating YOUR view that a teacher only works 3:40 a day & only 32 weeks? If a teacher actually does work only that amount of time, they should not be teaching - they picked the wrong profession. Get rid of them & let someone who Cares about teaching take the job.

The best teachers probably put in 10 - 12 hours or more a day working - most of which is not done in front of students. But even the Average teacher puts in at least double the number of hours actually in class preparing, grading, etc. It is a Full Time Job - and more! No decent teacher works less than 8 hours a day! And the 32 weeks is not correct either. First of all, the school term is longer than that, and you have to also consider that they are required to take courses to maintain their proficiency and many use their "vacation" time to hone or develop their skills.

Obviously, you either don't know any teachers, or the ones you do know are either not very good teachers, or are telling you stories if they're telling you what you are posting here.

But then again, I'm not stating anything here that others have not previously said. And you nevertheless continue to think teaching is a Part-Time profession.

Last edited by Coachgns; 05-29-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 03:40 PM

577 posts, read 980,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
There are VERY many positions/jobs where you are paid to be there but not actually working. That is not unique to teachers. As a flightline mechanic there were DAYS on end I did nothing but sit around. Still getting paid and this was private industry. Many construction/seasonal workers work 9 months out of the year commanding an equal salary and get the fringe benefit of unemployment for the 3 months they are off. There are also many seasonal businesses/jobs that make enough to take winters off, so every job has different perks and benefits. Summers off and prep time during the day happens to be one of teachers. No big deal. Some people get private JETS and limos... others get bonuses or cars or free travel and any combination there of.
All these other jobs are not doing it on the taxpayers dime. Teachers should be paid for working 32 weeks per year & not the exorbitant salary ( and benefits)they currently get!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:49 PM

168 posts, read 314,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
All these other jobs are not doing it on the taxpayers dime. Teachers should be paid for working 32 weeks per year & not the exorbitant salary ( and benefits)they currently get!
It doesnt matter that its tax dollars paying their salaries. That is nothing more than an emotional plea. People do not want to pay taxes....period. They are necessary to provide services that benefit the community. Education, Police and mass transit are among the most important to the community. Get over it.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:52 PM

577 posts, read 980,011 times
RE:How many dozens, or even hundreds, of posts have you made on C-D repeating YOUR view that a teacher only works 3:40 a day & only 32 weeks? If a teacher actually does work only that amount of time, they should not be teaching - they picked the wrong profession. Get rid of them & let someone who Cares about teaching take the job.

I never said "works"...I said "teaches". In the East Williston HS teachers actually teach (what they were actually hired for) for 3:40 per day as per their contract. Taxpayers don't need or want teachers making 100K + to be lunchroom & bus monitors! If you want to look it up I have provided a link below.

In the East Williston SD teachers actually show up to work about 160 times per year after days off for sick, illness in the family, personal days, emergency days, snow days etc. So.....160 days divided by 5 (number of days in a workweek) equals 32 weeks per year. Not bad for teachers....very very bad for taxpayers!

New York State | Public Employee Payrolls & Pensions on SeeThroughNY

http://www.lischooltax.com/08-9TS.pdf

Old 05-29-2010, 03:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,667,809 times
Do you know what the definition is of gross salary is in the file 08-9TS.pdf? My sister and sister-in-law are both teachers whose gross salaries are listed in that file and when asked both told me the file is not correct. Both individuals would not tell me their salaries but assured me the salaries listed are greater than their total earned income (base teaching salary + all extra-curricular activities, etc...) they report on their 1040.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:11 PM

659 posts, read 2,518,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
How many dozens, or even hundreds, of posts have you made on C-D repeating YOUR view that a teacher only works 3:40 a day & only 32 weeks? If a teacher actually does work only that amount of time, they should not be teaching - they picked the wrong profession. Get rid of them & let someone who Cares about teaching take the job.

The best teachers probably put in 10 - 12 hours or more a day working - most of which is not done in front of students. But even the Average teacher puts in at least double the number of hours actually in class preparing, grading, etc. It is a Full Time Job - and more! No decent teacher works less than 8 hours a day! And the 32 weeks is not correct either. First of all, the school term is longer than that, and you have to also consider that they are required to take courses to maintain their proficiency and many use their "vacation" time to hone or develop their skills.

Obviously, you either don't know any teachers, or the ones you do know are either not very good teachers, or are telling you stories if they're telling you what you are posting here.

But then again, I'm not stating anything here that others have not previously said. And you nevertheless continue to think teaching is a Part-Time profession.

I agree with you 100%. I don't know where he is getting these numbers from. Nobody I know in teaching works only 32 weeks (nobody I know takes all of those days...and my district doesn't offer all of those days off. Emergencies are also unpaid.) Also, I don't know of any teacher that leaves as soon as the last bell rings. It just shows you how little he really knows about teaching. I find all of his posts comical!!!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 PM

294 posts, read 610,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Do you know what the definition is of gross salary is in the file 08-9TS.pdf? My sister and sister-in-law are both teachers whose gross salaries are listed in that file and when asked both told me the file is not correct. Both individuals would not tell me their salaries but assured me the salaries listed are greater than their total earned income (base teaching salary + all extra-curricular activities, etc...) they report on their 1040.
To put it bluntly, I think the data is correct. I work for the state and my annual salary, as stated on that website, is absolutely correct down to the last dollar. If there is some discrepancy, my guess is that it is immaterial. If not, then the school districts are guilty of providing false/misleading information, as this data comes as a result of freedom of information requests.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 PM

294 posts, read 610,373 times
Quote:

There may be hyperbole on the part of the poster you are responding to, but please don't try to even hint at the idea that teaching is a full-time profession. Whatever credibility you are seeking is lost if you are trying to honestly push that notion.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:27 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Quote:

BULL. Plain and simple. While teachers may not work just 3:40 (which, iirc is the actual amount of teaching time they are required) your crazy assumption that teachers work 12 hour days is ludicris. Drive by a school at 4-5-6-7 O'clock, the teachers lots are deserted on a regular basis. There may be a car or two, but 99% have been long gone.

And yeah, teachers work about 185 days a year. Regular F/T employees are around 240 days a year.

With regard to using vacation and off time to "hone there skills" well welcome to the professional world! How many conferences, seminars, meetings, and tests have I gone to over the last 7 years of my professional life. The difference is that I don't get up on a podium exalting myself and the sacrifices I make.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,758 times
Exactly coachgns - my husband is a teacher and he puts in at least 1-2 extra hours a day IN the school building, then another 2 hrs at home working on lessons, grading tests, correcting drafts of reports etc. He team teaches in 6th grade - has about 72 students total for his subject area in addition to his regular class subjects. He's done this for over 30 years now. Is he well paid? Yes he is, and he works hard for every dime. It took him over half his career to make good money and we live an average middle class life. No fancy cars, no vacations, no big house, no big property.

His district offers unlimited sick days - he rarely if ever takes ONE of them! He won't get paid at retirement for any unused sick days either, his contract doesn't offer that benefit like others do.

CRV's insistence that all teachers in East Williston hardly work at all is beyond obsurd. I know a lot of teachers from many districts and none of them ever behaved the way CRV implies they all do. Just because there's a benefit in a contract doesn't mean that people take advantage of it all. Most teachers work hard for the money the taxpayers provide to the district for their salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island