Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,081 times

Advertisements

I am a renter. 2 years ago we had an electical upgrade that wasn't completed in a timely manner, it took 2 years. In the meantime, we paid DWP bills but the electrical usage was "estimated." The electricians agreed to pay half of the outstanding balance and I feel the property mgmt company shoud pay the other half of the past due balance since this job took 2 years, due to a lack of communication between electricians and property co. Do I have a legal leg to stand on (neglect of maintainence)? Any lawyers who will help me file a small claims case, cheaply or pro-bono?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Why would the electricians agreed to pay half? And I have to assume you mean the electical contractor.
Did you own this property?
If you were a renter your landlord would be responsible for any difficulties from unfinished work.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,697 times
This is the first time I am using this forum...can someone please help me? I have a rental issue...we are late with our 1100.00 rent, we were issued a 3 day notice the next day after the 5th (our social security checks come in on the 3rd) and they also included a 50.00 late fee. Is this legal? This has happened around 10-15 times in the 15 years we have lived at this complex! So, from what I am hearing and reading, the late fee is Illegal and thus the Building owes us 50.00x10, or 15 late fees! Is this correct?

Also, the Landlord has personal items stored in the Garage but they ask tenants not to store their items and threaten with 3 day notices! Is this legal?

Please help!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
To begin with, where did you get your information that late fees are illegal?
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Late fees are most definetely legal.
Now, depending on what is written into your rental agreement, that will determine what amount the landlord gets in late fees.
The usual maximum amount to collect in late fees is 10% of the monthly rent.
If the property is under rent control, the 10% is the law.
If your landlord neglected to include late fees as part of the rental agreement, he, or she is out of luck in trying to collect them.
Even if the clause was omitted,the landlord could give you an amendment to the original agreement stating late fees will be collected, but that notice must be in writing, and given to you thirty days before the rule goes into effect, and that rule can not be retro active.
Bob.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,081 times
Yes, the electrical contracting company who did the electrical upgrade were the ones who agreed to pay half of the late fees. The property management company that I rent from sees this as MY electrical use and they feel they don't have to pay for my useage. I feel that 2 years is enough time to adequately have done this upgrade I would have paid this had it been done in a timely manner. Guess I'm upset at the mismanagement of entire situation. Do I have a case to sue the propety management comapny in small claims court?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryn14 View Post
I am a renter. 2 years ago we had an electical upgrade that wasn't completed in a timely manner, it took 2 years. In the meantime, we paid DWP bills but the electrical usage was "estimated." The electricians agreed to pay half of the outstanding balance and I feel the property mgmt company shoud pay the other half of the past due balance since this job took 2 years, due to a lack of communication between electricians and property co. Do I have a legal leg to stand on (neglect of maintainence)? Any lawyers who will help me file a small claims case, cheaply or pro-bono?

Thanks
How was payment for your unit's electric handled prior to this upgrade? Did you have your own bill, shared with other tenants, or included in rent?

Perhaps contact DWP and have them provide a record of what your electrical usage was prior to this upgrade. I was able to get this info from SCE once when I requested it. You can take the average kilowatts from that timeframe and multiply it by the $$ per kilowatts during this upgrade to get approximately what you owe. I wouldn't be paying any more than that since it is estimated. Was there any written agreement about this? Are there threats of eviction?

I think the property owner, not the management company would be responsible for any outstanding amounts for an upgrade to their building. If the property owner is not happy with the job which cost fees or time, he should take that up with the property management firm and electricians who handled the job, instead of trying to make a tenant eat it. Bad.

The only other thing I might try is to find out who owns the building. City Hall has these records. I'd send a Certified Letter to the owner and include your DWP estimates and any documentation from the property management company with your complaint. It is my experience that some property owners do not know what the management company is doing. Then again, some owners are a problem too. But this sounds more like a problem between the property management company and the electricians which is being forced upon you.

Good luck with this mess. My condolences. But just so you know, I wouldn't pay. I'd see them in court if they evict or harass or anything else. Just keep current on your rent and other bills.

Last edited by Beth56; 07-13-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 04:02 PM

I seriously doubt you will have any luck going to the city to get the owners name.
The city use to do that, but with so much identity theft these days, they stopped giving out that information.
You can be charged what is called a percentage of capital improvements on the property, but not fees for work not being done in a timely manner.
The owner can collect 50% of the capital improvement cost by rasing the rent for as long as it takes to recoupe the 50% cost.
Once that figure is reached, the rent reverts to what it was before the improvement.
Bob.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I seriously doubt you will have any luck going to the city to get the owners name.
The city use to do that, but with so much identity theft these days, they stopped giving out that information.
My husband often goes to City Hall and obtains a property owner's name. It's a matter of public record who owns property.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
My husband often goes to City Hall and obtains a property owner's name. It's a matter of public record who owns property.

I should have been more specific.
I meant you can no longet get a property owner's name from the recorder's office, on line.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles