Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:15 PM

118 posts, read 365,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I guess so. I miss the 1970s. It was the best decade ever for one big reason: It was after the pill and before AIDS. Anything goes.
Haha. I've already repped you (need to spread it around, you all know the deal), but I had to give my "thumbs up" to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM

364 posts, read 991,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jball1129 View Post
I recently moved to LA with my wife from graduating college in the midwest. We both wanted to move to LA for better weather and for the film industry. We both have jobs and find it extremely hard making friends out here besides the ones we work with. Is this a common thing out here?
This is a common thing everywhere. My cousin who just moved to Portland said the same thing. "Real life" is different from college. In "real life" people go about their lives. You just need to be in someone's circle.

I would suggest taking a class at UCLA Extension. They have a great entertainment dept. and I'm sure there are aspects of the film industry you would like to learn more about. The classes are taught by working professionals and it's a great place to network with other professionals.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,861,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jball1129 View Post
We both have jobs and find it extremely hard making friends out here
You have to pay them more.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,285,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You have to pay them more.
I bet in san HO you just have to WORK IT!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I bet in san HO you just have to WORK IT!
Aw Jeez, not this sh.t again! You two have been on each others case in different threads, you two will need to get a room soon!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Find people that you want to be friends with and befriend them. I do this all the time. We had a woman at work that for some reason caught my eye, and yes she is a beautifull woman, but that is not the reason she caught my eye. What I noticed was that many people avoided her or just got out of her way. She was the secretary of the COO and had a lot of pull even as a secretary. Turns out that someone warned me about her, that she could be a real B.... if you got in her way. My only thought was I am going to become friends with her because of the challenge.

Here is my game plan. In our cafeteria I happened to go to lunch at the same time as she did. I watched what she was getting in the way of food and made my move. I kept my entire conversation on one thing, the food she was eating. I mentioned that my wife and I were interested in getting in better shape and that I wanted to do what others were doing. I mentioned to her that what ever she was doing was working as she was in good shape. we ended up talking for a few minutes and she invited me to join our company gym. We even worked out together from time to time. After getting to know her as co-workers she mentioned that it was nice to have a friend. She said that most of the men in the hospital looked at her like a peice of meat and she had to do what she could to show everyone that she was a hard worker. We are still friends to this day.

For me it is a game. I like to think that most people like me and want to be around me. Turns out that I am right. Those that don't want to be around me are the challenge and the people that I go after to join the club of adoring fans that I have. LOL. I always pick a subject at hand that I can add too. Doesn't matter if they are guys or girls, I find something that the two of us can talk about and become friends over. These are ice breaker meetings.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Quote:
I like to think that most people like me and want to be around me.
That seems to be the key. I know a couple people like this and they always make friends easily. It's a little harder for me because I don't have the confidence to pull it off but I've been working on that lately and ACTING like I have the confidence! People do respond! My problem now is I have a real hard time remembering the names of people I meet, even after asking them more than once. It's embarassing and sometimes I aviod making contact again because of that. I'm working on THAT too!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That seems to be the key. I know a couple people like this and they always make friends easily. It's a little harder for me because I don't have the confidence to pull it off but I've been working on that lately and ACTING like I have the confidence! People do respond! My problem now is I have a real hard time remembering the names of people I meet, even after asking them more than once. It's embarassing and sometimes I aviod making contact again because of that. I'm working on THAT too!
Ceece, something that I do when I meet someone that seems interesting to me is I will write down their name and what ever facts that I think would be important to remember them. I have a bad memory as well. Sometimes it takes an "excuse me for a minute" to get everything down. It has helped me though. New phones work wonders now to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles