Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times

Advertisements

Here's a theory:
A number of cities used to have a Little Italy. When they were established, they may have been very safe but they weren't fancy neighborhoods, they were full of recent immigrants trying to make it. As they did make it, they moved out of the neighborhood and spread out. This happened in Seattle, where " Garlic Gulch" was near " Kosher Canyon" ( also no longer exists) and Chinatown, and I'm guessing something similar happened in LA and other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 05:16 PM

224 posts, read 957,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
Also, don't forget that unlike other Little Italy's, L.A. went on and created an entire neighborhood that resembled an Italian city. Care to guess where it is? It rhymes with "penis".
Wow! Is that how Venice is pronounced. For years I've been pronouncing it the same as the Venice in Italy.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 PM

224 posts, read 957,409 times
Is there a Little New England in LA?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:11 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
Is there a Little New England in LA?
What would we put there, all the gated community liberals?

BTW, great thread James T.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
What would we put there, all the gated community liberals?
In my experience, gated communities seem to mainly attract conservatives.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
In my experience, gated communities seem to mainly attract conservatives.
Off-topic. We're talking about why there is no Little Italy in LA.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
No it isnt. Omaha Nebraska had Italian immigrants and for some reason, Los Angeles does not and never has. Plus, "Little Italys" in other places you rarely find people who actually speak Italian. So you really dont get the sense of actually being part of that culture.
I agree with the part that in "Little Italy's" you usually don't find people who speak Italian. I live in Boston's North End and people here get so upset when we are referred to as "little Italy." I think it's because most Little Italy's are tourist traps where the culture isn't there anymore. The North End is still heavily Italian and every morning walking to work I hear people speaking Italian. You can order in Italian at most restaurants, ask your elderly neighbor how he's doing in Italian, go to a festival with Italian music/food every weekend over summer, go to Mass on Sunday (in Italian), hear people singing in Italian at cafes. It's pretty amazing, I must say. It's definitely no Little Italy and the closest i've found to Italy in the US.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
I agree with the part that in "Little Italy's" you usually don't find people who speak Italian. I live in Boston's North End and people here get so upset when we are referred to as "little Italy." I think it's because most Little Italy's are tourist traps where the culture isn't there anymore. The North End is still heavily Italian and every morning walking to work I hear people speaking Italian. You can order in Italian at most restaurants, ask your elderly neighbor how he's doing in Italian, go to a festival with Italian music/food every weekend over summer, go to Mass on Sunday (in Italian), hear people singing in Italian at cafes. It's pretty amazing, I must say. It's definitely no Little Italy and the closest i've found to Italy in the US.
That's something you'll never see in Los Angeles.lol

Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Here's a theory:
A number of cities used to have a Little Italy. When they were established, they may have been very safe but they weren't fancy neighborhoods, they were full of recent immigrants trying to make it. As they did make it, they moved out of the neighborhood and spread out. This happened in Seattle, where " Garlic Gulch" was near " Kosher Canyon" ( also no longer exists) and Chinatown, and I'm guessing something similar happened in LA and other cities.
L.A. had Little Italys in the past - pre WW2 Lincoln Heights and post WW2 Los Feliz Village to name a couple examples.

Wikipedia refers to Brentwood as L.A.'s "Little Italy" although I'm not sure if I'd agree with that - Italian restaurants and East Coast transplants do not a Little Italy make. It's certainly no North Beach.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
True, what is now Chinatown ('New Chinatown' created when they built Union Station), was an Italian enclave, as well as parts of Lincoln Heights. The San Antonio Winery is still in the Heights- nice place. Not to mention St. Peter's Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles