Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,382 times

Advertisements

I'm sure all you LA residents know about Ed Roski's plans to build an NFL stadium in the City of Industry. And it seems that people have fervently opposed his far-fetched proposal.

Now AEG has unveiled their own plans to build an NFL stadium next to the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. And I've heard that this new project will be privately funded- with no extra burden to taxpayers.

Check out these articles:

SBJ: AEG's Los Angeles stadium draws on Cowboys - NFL - Sporting News

Quote:
Game Would Take Place in $1 Billion, Privately Funded Stadium and Convention Complex
by Jon Regardie, Executive Editor
Published: Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:35 PM PDT
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES – Tim Leiweke, the powerful and politically connected president and CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group, this afternoon laid out a vision that would bring the 2016 Super Bowl to Downtown Los Angeles, as well as the 2022 World Cup final. The plan, which faces numerous hurdles, would also redefine Los Angeles’ role in the events and convention industry.

Speaking to about 60 people at a Biltmore Hotel luncheon hosted by the organization Town Hall Los Angeles, Leiweke described the political and construction process needed for a $1 billion, 78,000-seat stadium with a retractable roof. If it comes to fruition, the building could host about 50 events a year, including, Leiweke hopes, NCAA Final Four tournaments.

Leiweke described a venture that would include razing the West Hall of the current Convention Center and re-creating Los Angeles’ convention hub, essentially doubling its space to about 1.4 million square feet. Convention activities could also be held in the proposed stadium, with a floor placed over the playing field. That would lead to new conventions for Los Angeles and, by extension, the creation of about 25,000 jobs, many of them in new hotels.

Leiweke said AEG plans to announce a new hotel venture in the first quarter of 2011, though he would not provide details except to say that it will be next to L.A. Live.

“It’s a good one, that’s all I’m going to say,” he commented.

The stadium itself, he said, would be privately financed, and only about 10 of the 50 annual events would be football games. He also promised that AEG would back the $300 million worth of bonds the city would need to issue to fund the Convention Center expansion.

“There will be no risk to the taxpayers,” he said, as well as no hit on the general fund. He sought to reiterate the point, saying the financing plan would have “no curtains, no wizards behind the wall.”

About seven years ago, Leiweke partnered with Casey Wasserman and Ron Burkle on an effort to build a football stadium in South Park. That never came together, and in recent years, Ed Roski, who was AEG founder Phil Anschutz’s partner in developing Staples Center, has been pursuing building his own privately financed NFL stadium in the City of Industry. Leiweke referenced Roski’s initiative, but said he has been in communication with NFL brass and thinks the league would prefer the Downtown alternative by virtue of its location and its ability to host associated events.

Construction in 2013

Many NFL observers in Los Angeles have pointed out that the league’s current primary focus is not getting a team to the nation’s second-largest media market, but rather on dealing with a labor dispute that could lead to a lockout or strike before the start of the 2011 season. Leiweke acknowledged that, but sought to use to it his advantage, saying that AEG could now begin pursuing the entitlements necessary to get the stadium built.

Leiweke said he hopes to be ready to have initial city support — he said meetings have already begun with the chief legislative analyst — and agreements from state lawmakers on a stadium’s environmental necessities within 60 days. In his timeframe, entitlements would begin in January 2011 and take a year.

“We’ll have a stadium that’s ready to push dirt” by the time the NFL labor deal is completed, he said.

With entitlements secured, construction on a new West Hall of the Convention Center would begin in January 2012 and take a year, Leiweke said. In early 2013, they would raze the current West Hall and begin building a stadium packed with luxury suites and club seats.

Construction would take about 30 months, he said, allowing a team to begin playing in Downtown at the start of the 2015 season. He specified that he does not have a franchise in mind, saying that is something for the league to determine.

He also said that during the construction, he would meet with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and the 32 team owners in hopes of persuading them to award the 2016 Super Bowl — the 50th installment of the NFL championship — to the Los Angeles stadium. He hopes to have three Super Bowls in a decade.

Other pieces of the puzzle, he said, would include hosting the World Cup finals in 2022 — assuming the United States wins the bid for the soccer tournament. He also envisions the Downtown stadium being a site for college basketball’s Final Four tournament, and said initial talks have been held with the NCAA.

“But we’d have to bid on it,” he said in an interview after the address. “They’re aware of what we’re doing. They’re excited about what we’re doing. They can’t do Final Fours on the West Coast anymore because the last place they could do it was in Seattle and that building is gone. They’re dying to have a place on the West Coast, and I hope we give it to them.”
And this is the proposed site:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/Jericho-79/4526285987_4c1c500285_o.jpg (broken link)

Now- What are odds of an NFL stadium eventually being built in downtown Los Angeles? Do you think AEG will be able to pull this off in the end?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
I have no clue if they'll be able to pull this off. It seems like a good location & plan for a stadium/convention center though. Much better than the City of Industry. Anyone here live in the South Park area Downtown? I'd like to hear if those residents want the stadium built.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i'm curious as if there is a precedent to follow on this one. are there any other stadium/convention center mixed use projects in the world that AEG could draw influence from?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Downtown LA land seems like some of the most expensive land to build on. One advantage is it is centrally located to the San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, the Westside and all freeways lead to it. However, most events are probably will be on Sundays so freeways are "relatively" open. There is no bleed over LA downtown crowd to attract as Staples Center does - all the downtown people are there during the week anyway - why not go to a Kings or Lakers or Clippers game. Nobody is downtown on Sunday (take advantage of existing empty parking spaces on weekends?)

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
It'll never happen. Where will be the exact piece of land for this? No way are they going to build it on the Convention Center property. It will never EVER happen. Not going to happen.

Their best bet is to try and build it in Burbank on the lots near the airport that were formerly part of the aerospace industry. Im sure the city of Burbank will approve of it. They (city of Burbank) made a major goof years ago when they denied Walt Disney the right to build Disneyland there (yes that was his original plan, NOT in Anaheim) and they will never make such a mistake again.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
No, I hope they fail miserably.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
The article about AEG building a downtown stadium was discussed on ESPN this morning and why "The Herd"\ Colin Cowherd predicted that the NFL will have a team in Los Angeles by 2012. The land next to the Convention center seems like it would be super expensive but having a location next to Staples and LA Live would be a great boost. Plus the Blue Line is close by. I still think the Coliseum should be renovated since it is right next to the new Exposition Line; USC and the NFL could make a lot of money at that site. The good news is that private business is getting very involved in this project along with the governor and mayor.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Oh boy here we go again.

The Spanos clan may very well take their ball and go to LA, and there may not be much we here in SD can do about it. They've been beating us over the head for 8 years with this LA stadium stuff. We'll never know if they're really moving, or if they're just posturing for a better stadium deal until after the fact anyway. While this team is the SAN DIEGO chargers, they will continue to have my full fandom, including game tickets, merchandise, etc. But as soon any situation is presented where they are no longer the San Diego Chargers, I will boycott the NFL and I will also vigorously oppose the return of the league to this city. I urge all SAN DIEGO chargers fans to take the same approach to the situation. Perhaps if the NFL bean counters realize that SD fandom will not become LA fandom, it will help our cause.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Please god no.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
I'm sure all you LA residents know about Ed Roski's plans to build an NFL stadium in the City of Industry. And it seems that people have fervently opposed his far-fetched proposal.

Now AEG has unveiled their own plans to build an NFL stadium next to the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. And I've heard that this new project will be privately funded- with no extra burden to taxpayers.

Check out these articles:

SBJ: AEG's Los Angeles stadium draws on Cowboys - NFL - Sporting News

And this is the proposed site:

Now- What are odds of an NFL stadium eventually being built in downtown Los Angeles? Do you think AEG will be able to pull this off in the end?
Which roof are they going to build that puppy on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles