Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm a resident of Texas, and I've been searching hard to get into the sports business for quite some time. I've applied to over 30 professional sports openings, but I prefer baseball out of them all. I was involved in similar projects when I was college for the baseball program, and worked in sports sales. Currently, I travel in mobile marketing.

Recently, I was hired for a part time gig for a baseball team close to Austin, Texas. It involves a bunch of customer service interaction with fans/promotional giveaways during games and such. But today when I was at work I received an e-mail from the Dodgers asking if I could come in for an interview. Their position is in the Premium department that involves servicing to clients in luxury suites, dugout boxes, and lots of guest relations/customer service type of work on game days.

My question is, which position would you consider? I do understand the cost of living out in LA, and would like to eventually move out to the area. Doing so right now may be too soon. I have the financial means to go, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to use up the savings I've been able to accumulate.

Should I stay or should I go? Both positions are similar. The job in Austin will probably have fewer hours with lower pay although both won't pay a lot. I also realize for either one, I will have to take on another job, but it shouldn't be too hard to come by as I have connections with marketing, and promotional campaigns. Of course, the Dodgers will look a lot better on a resume, but I wonder what other pros and cons there are. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:27 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Go to Austin. We're kind of full out here these days. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,038 times
Austin is way cheaper. But the experience with the Dodgers sounds like your passion. I know nothing about sports marketing so I won't pretend to tell you what to do.

You might try posting this in the work/employment forum to more fully explore your options....

Good luck. And don't let the local cranks deter you from making the best decision for you.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM

40 posts, read 59,091 times
Go with the Dodgers. Two reasons. 1. It sounds like you want to move to LA. Take this opportunity or it might not come again when you are 40 and married with kids. 2. Major league looks better than minor league. You can always work in the minor leagues again after working for an MLB or other professional team.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I'm not sure what "servicing to clients in the luxury boxes" means. But if it means you'll be interacting with the movers and shakers that sit in those boxes I'd be on the plane tomorrow for the chance alone. L.A. is very much a "who knows who" town. You'll make contacts you'll use the rest of your life.

Is that you in your profile pic? You've got "the look" and sometimes that's half the battle in L.A. I'd walk into the interview room looking sharp, my hand outstretched, and the biggest grin on my face you ever saw.

I know people who would kill for that interview. It's THE DODGERS! In L.A. that means a ton. (And I'm an Angels fan.)

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Thanks drew and the other responses. Yes that's my profile pic. I really think I have a good shot as they are hiring a few positions. Im sure they receive a ton of applicants so it's good to see my resume is getting through.

I'm really considering purchasing my plane ticket as this doesn't come around too often. Who knows when I might get another chance to interview with them.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 22,146 times
Chances in life can be few and far between. Take it while you can. What is the downside? You go back to Austin.

It is a no brainer.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:39 PM

IF you got the position you would probably do your fair share of scud work. But that's how you learn. If you speak Spanish make sure they know that. Very important. (And don't call anyone "Dude" lol). I know it doesn't happen all of the time but I know a man who started out in a lowly- fetch the coffee- postition with the Dodgers. He paid his dues and worked his way up the ladder. He's a VP in the Diamondbacks organization today.

(I'm assuming you aren't an idiot, but research the organization. The Dodgers are especially proud of their history and their place in the community. And a word about who is sitting in those luxury boxes: Film people, music people, retired players, the business community. It isn't as heavy handed as a Lakers game but a Dodgers game is a place to be "seen" by these people.)

BTW: I used to live near Tommy Lasorda. He's gruff but a sweetheart underneath all the "I bleed Dodger Blue" talk. If you ever run into him ask him how Jo is. Well, call her Mrs. Lasorda. That's his wife and he is nuts about her. Instant brownie points.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 AM

** so a little update

I took the advice of you guys and booked my flight for this interview. This position would definitely involve a lot of networking while providing great experience. It was a more informal group interview. It was a little competitive as some of the candidates were in grad school/ working with espn. Ive read some posts in the LA board about how sometimes even over qualified applicants are applying for lower starter jobs. I felt I did well, and hopefully I get a 2nd interview.

Over 400 applied, they are interviewing about 100 to fill maybe 10 spots. Slim chance but I had these odds with my current job. Since I have a guaranteed job here i am definitely more relaxed, calm and collected. Fun trip and hoping for the best. Regardless, I'm glad I made the trip.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
** so a little update

I took the advice of you guys and booked my flight for this interview. This position would definitely involve a lot of networking while providing great experience.
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on any further developments, please. I've got my fingers firmly crossed for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles