Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM

164 posts, read 607,045 times

Advertisements

So I have some friends (late 20s, early 30s) coming into town for a few days to visit. They've been here before, so all they're not looking to do touristy stuff anymore.

What are some fun, offbeat things to do, especially during the day? I was thinking of bringing them bowling at Lucky Strike Lanes. Shopping for trinkets at Wacko/Soap Plant, etc. What else?

Ideas appreciated! Thanks! What some of the "only in LA" quirky things you've done with friends beyond restaurants and clubs?

I'm writing this because I also realized that my everyday life here in LA is good, but a bit "boring" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,719 times
Peterson Automotive Museum off Fairfax.
JPL
Santa Anita

Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,234,910 times
Rocket Fizz is a fun store in Burbank. They have all retro candy & sodas. Stuff you remember from your childhood but haven't seen in years. Also, if they're into this, Dark Delicacies in Burbank is a horror/fantasy bookstore. It's pretty cool and the owner is a hoot.

I took my parents to Moonshadows in Malibu and that went over pretty well. Also, driving on Topanga Canyon Blvd (through Topanga Canyon) is very pretty.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,244 times
hahahah, coming from the dark side, what about spahn ranch, which you can hike into from santa susanah historic park and cross the railroad tracks, or box canyon where the fountain of the world cult used to be located, right down the street? its really pretty hiking up there besides being really interesting....if you are into that sort of thing!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,043,032 times
if you and your friends are railfans - or at least have an appreciation for old-school los angeles - you might want to check out angels flight in bunker hill/downtown. sure, it can be touristy, but it's dirt cheap, offers nice views, and is pretty unique.

while in downtown, you could do a walking tour of some of the neighborhood's architectural gems like the bradbury building, browse through some art galleries, and stop by cole's, a historic old-school pub with tons of ambience. it serves one of LA's foremost culinary inventions, the french dip sandwich, and also has great garlic fries, classic cocktails, and a solid selection of beers on tap. fwiw, i've heard that the new year's eve scene from the movie forrest gump was filmed at cole's (you can see the vintage red booths and bar area in these photos (http://colesfrenchdip.com/photos.html - broken link) of the interior).

speaking of art, there's also a contemporary art fair going on in santa monica this weekend called the art los angeles contemporary. it starts tomorrow night and runs through sunday the 30th.

you could also stop by the helms bakery district on the border of culver city; this is a former bakery which has been converted into a collection of art galleries, modern furniture showrooms, restaurants, bars, and so forth. one of the eateries there is father's office, which is a gastropub whose burgers and beer selection are considered among the best in the city (although to be fair, the food at the original santa monica location is much more consistent).

since LA is such a mexican food mecca, make sure your friends stop by a good taco truck or cart while they're in town. authentic ensenada-style fish tacos are very difficult to find outside of southern california, so i'd recommend taking your buddies to ricky's fish tacos, which is a taco cart on the los feliz/silver lake/east hollywood border. ricky's serves the best fish and shrimp tacos i've had in the u.s. (even better than tacos baja ensenada, my former favorite spot), yet it's quite cheap and filling and very centrally located. the cart sets up shop in an empty parking lot, but it's still a pleasant experience since there are outdoor tables under a tent where you can sit, eat, and chill. just make sure to check ricky's twitter page to verify his hours for that day.

if you're feeling adventurous and are not afraid of venturing into marginal neighborhoods, you might want to stop by the alameda swap meet in south central, which has plenty to see and eat, and is a short drive south of downtown.

there's always the wat thai buddhist temple in north hollywood, which is an attraction in of itself but also has some thai food vendors on weekends (not nearly to the same extent as a few years ago, unfortunately).

and if all else fails, check out laweekly's calendar of events, which range from music to art to theater to street fairs and the like. there's no shortage of quirky events and attractions listed in that newspaper.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,858 times
Not exactly offbeat but the following are "free" and daytime oriented:

1) Self-Realization Fellowship Shrine (Pacific Palisades)
I am not a religous person but the Self-Realization Fellowship "Lakeshrine/Park" is a hidden gem of a public park in Pacific Palisades on Sunset. You could drive by and not even know it's there but it is a beautiful spot. It includes a "shrine" to all the world's major faiths (Budhism, Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, etc). It's "free" and is a great place to meditate or take a short walk.

The Lake

2) Temescal Canyon Hiking Trail (Pacific Palisades)
Before or after visiting the Self-Realization Shrine you can go for a much longer "walk" on the Temescal Canyon hiking trail with views of the ocean at the top.
Temescal Canyon - Santa Monica Mountains - Hiking

Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,858 times
The LA Conservancy offers walking tours of LA's historic districts (mostly downtown). If your friends are into architecture or history they would really enjoy one of these.

Los Angeles Conservancy | Tours

Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM

245 posts, read 712,827 times
Try Wurstkuche next to Downtown LA. They have a wide selection of beer and exotic sausages. I especially like the environment... usually crowded and vibrant weekend nights great for your friends age group and above.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
depending on the time of year you'll be here, you could catch a clippers of dodgers game. don't bother with the lakers, tickets are way too expensive, even for the nosebleed section.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 13,403 times
San Pedro has this little (illegal and somewhat dangerous) gem:

Sunken City Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles