Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times

Advertisements

40 years ago today, a 6.6 magnitude earthquake struck the San Fernando Valley in California where I was living. I had just moved out of my parent's home on February 1 and into my own apartment on Santa Anita above Glenoaks in Burbank. It was a very scary event which occurred just seconds before my alarm clock was set to go off at 6:00 a.m. There is nothing like being awakened by a building shaking, shelf items falling on my head, electrical transformers popping all around, and blood-curdling screams by the lady living below me. I just knew I'd better scramble down the stairs of my two-story apartment building. She scared me more than the quake itself ... sort of!! The many aftershocks went on for months, but they lessened in intensity and frequency as the weeks passed. 40 years later, California still hasn't fallen into the Pacific. Imagine that! ;o)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
I cannot believe that it's been 40 years. I was in high school in Orange County. It was the hardest shaking I'd ever felt, as a native of the Southland, up to that point. Items fell off shelves, pictures on the walls went crooked and the cat went nuts. I had first-period P.E. When we walked into the gym we saw a floor full of ceiling tiles. The gym teacher told us to go in and pick them up. I told her she was nuts and told my friends not to do it. I knew an aftershock would bring more down on our heads. (One hit about 15 minutes later and did, indeed, bring down the rest of the ceiling.)

I had a friend who lived in Sylmar at the time. He was thrown out of bed and slammed into the wall across the room. His family's house had major damage.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Wow, your high school started early.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Yep. I was nine and a half years old living in Canoga Park. The windows rattling was the scary part. Schools were closed and I distinctly remember how warm and breezy it was that day - just like it was for the 94 Northridge quake.

Forty years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-xIeo2UvbE

Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
well I was older than any of you, but 40 years younger than I am today.

We lived in Altadena, my sister was a nurse at the VA hospital. That was a day like no other in our lives. Hubby actually went to work and I sent the kids to school, as did our neighbor. I think they were almost the only ones that were there.

Nita

Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,529 times
I was nearly 6 but I remember it clearly. The quake of 1994 was a bit stronger though.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
How time flies when you're having fun. I was living in Whittier at the time, working nights and going to college during the day. I'd just gotten home and upstairs to the bedroom when it hit, a floor-to-ceiling set of shelves loaded with books came off the wall and headed towards the bed where my then wife was lying. I grabbed the shelves and pulled them away from her and onto myself then dashed into the other bedroom, scooped up our infant son (hard to believe he's 40 now) and we headed downstairs to relative safety.

When it all ended we discovered a 15 foot crack in the bedroom wall where the shelves had been. It was quite a wake-me-up even after having been up all night.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
I slept through it, but I was way down in Capo Beach.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
I was seven years old and living in La Canada. The shaking woke me up, but I was annoyed that only one thing fell over in my room! (As a seven year old, earthquakes were exciting and fun, not really scary.) The fish tank sloshed water all over in the living room. A ceiling light cover fell and exploded at my dad's feet. Our poor housekeeper was so terrified that she wouldn't move from the doorway all day, and she soon fled back to Guatemala (where they also have earthquakes! ).

I had a mirror hanging next to my bed; it took up almost the entire length of the wall. I'm lucky that didn't fall on me!

I didn't go to school that day; I'm pretty sure my school was closed.

Of course, it wasn't until I got older that I really "got it" and understood how much damage had been sustained. That was "The Earthquake" until Northridge 23 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles