Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM

203 posts, read 561,717 times

Advertisements

Sorry if the below has been asked and answered.

Internal job move may have me working in Northridge.
Previously we (wife, 3 year old, 6 year old and me) have lived in downtown philadelphia. We are in Memphis right now in an inner ring area that is not exactly urban but also not the burbs.

Let's pretent my housing budget is not an issue.
Can you work in Northridge,
with a 30 min or less commute,
in an area that is walkable (walkable defined at being able to walk to a grocery or place to eat on a weekend)
and
there are other people around with young kids, with either a nearby private or public school that is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
you might enjoy studio city or burbank. neither areas are super urban, but there are areas that aren't overly suburban either. same with the souther parts of sherman oaks and encino. what you'll really want is to live near ventura blvd somewhere in the valley. the city proper will be too far for a 30 minute commute.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
Sorry if the below has been asked and answered.

Internal job move may have me working in Northridge.
Previously we (wife, 3 year old, 6 year old and me) have lived in downtown philadelphia. We are in Memphis right now in an inner ring area that is not exactly urban but also not the burbs.

Let's pretent my housing budget is not an issue.
Can you work in Northridge,
with a 30 min or less commute,
in an area that is walkable (walkable defined at being able to walk to a grocery or place to eat on a weekend)
and
there are other people around with young kids, with either a nearby private or public school that is good
Yes. North of Lassen in the Northridge area. Lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance of those homes plus good schools.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
I don't see too many people walking around Northridge except students. I would look at Sherman Oaks and Studio City, although the school quality may be lower. Burbank is also a good option, but check on schools. Encino is also lively but might be a different culture than what you are used to. Meaning a lot of Russian and Persian immigrants and Orthodox Jews who do not attend public schools.

Most of LA is not fully East Coast urban, but is also not suburban. A lot of people in LA term it upper middle density. Smaller apartment buildings built onto the street and shopping nearby. Neighborhood to neighborhood is where a car is required unless you live in a truly suburban area like the north SF VAlley.

Many LA suburbs are more densely populated and "urban" than the city itself such as Santa Monica, West Hollywood, East LA, etc.

Northridge is a good mix of people from all races, diversities, backgrounds, ethnicities, religions, etc.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 AM

203 posts, read 561,717 times
Thanks. Can anyone comment on the 2 area below in terms of
1) Commute to Northridge
2) Walkability?

Toluca Lake
Magnolia Park

Also, is there any "magic" to the comute out there? Like going north on the 5 in the AM is a breeze or west on the Regan before 8am isn't bad...or is it like eastcoast and always a mess all of the time.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Going north in the morning in the Valley isn't bad. Going South at night in the Valley isn't bad either, but the 101 will get backed up around Hollywood, though you shouldn't have to worry about that. It is always a mess, but just less of a mess.

If by Magnolia Park you mean Burbank, it is walkable. You can walk around the neighborhood and it has some cool stores/restaurants by it, but most people still do drive. In terms of convenience to food shopping and errands like cleaners, bank, etc, you probably have to drive.

For Toluca Lake, I actually find it to be less walkable because it is an affluent area meant for the affluent to not be bothered. It is close to Studio City, which is the older Hollywood scene in terms of who lives there, but just far enough away from Hollywood, so the people there like their disconnectedness a bit.

Depending where in Toluca Lake you live, it can be walkable, particularly by Universal. If you are close to Universal, you may be able to walk to the Red Line subway which takes you into Hollywood and Downtown relatively quickly (benefits of public transit there are unmatched).

Just my take.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I don't see too many people walking around Northridge except students. I would look at Sherman Oaks and Studio City, although the school quality may be lower. Burbank is also a good option, but check on schools.
Burbank schools are much better than Northridge, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc. or anywhere else in the Valley because it's not LAUSD.

Magnets and charters in LAUSD can be good, but sending a kid to an LAUSD comprehensive school is a form of child abuse. BUSD, on the other hand, recieved an award for being the best public school district in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles