Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:30 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Shyeah! I tell people I live in Compton all the time!
Do you also tell em your CD name is Twinkle Toes?
Hows that work out for ya??
lol---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 AM

164 posts, read 606,735 times
jus' say you from the muh' fuh' B H yall, represent!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 AM

153 posts, read 637,417 times
I'm from Beverly Hills as well and in my entire life, no one I have ever known has said "I'm from Beverly Hills". All the kids I grew up with and myself, we just said we were from L.A. Only people who move there as adults and like to feel special do that.

No one has to know you're from Beverly Hills unless YOU want them to know. Say you're from the Westside or something like that. If people press, sure tell 'em. But yeah, expect people to have a reaction because few places have the PR that BH has.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 AM

205 posts, read 298,432 times
Why don't people say they're from Beverly Hills? Isn't Beverly Hills a city?

I can see how saying "I'm from Bel Air" or "I'm from the Upper East Side" can sound too extra, as they're just neighborhoods..

Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Why don't people say they're from Beverly Hills? Isn't Beverly Hills a city?
Other than Beverly Hills and a few other suburbs around the country, most people outside of a specific metro region don't know suburbs.

For example: If you are from Hialeah, people in L.A. may not know Hialeah so if a person from Hialeah is in L.A., they are more likely to say they are from Miami.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:26 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Other than Beverly Hills and a few other suburbs around the country, most people outside of a specific metro region don't know suburbs.

For example: If you are from Hialeah, people in L.A. may not know Hialeah so if a person from Hialeah is in L.A., they are more likely to say they are from Miami.
That's it in a nutshell. Sure, Beverly Hills is a city, but it's part of the LA metro area (and not just fringes -- it's right there in the middle). If you're in LA, or are talking to people who are from or have lived in LA, then it makes sense to say Beverly Hills. Since of course people have heard of Beverly Hills then the OP can go ahead and say Beverly Hills without having to then get into explaining where exactly it is, but if the OP feels uncomfortable with that then saying "LA" is perfectly acceptable. Usually when visiting somewhere else people go for the vague answer, not the specific.

I don't think the neighborhood versus city thing is particularly relevant in LA's case in particular.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think the neighborhood versus city thing is particularly relevant in LA's case in particular.
yup, i agree. especially when places like beverly hills, west hollywood, and santa monica - which are technically independent cities - are for all intents and purposes de facto neighborhoods of the city of LA. they just don't have the same relationship with the primary city of the region (LA) that the suburbs of the older, traditional cities of the midwest and east coast do.

there really is a big difference when comparing the relationship between beverly hills and the city of LA versus the more traditional suburb-city pairings such as kenilworth/chicago, newton/boston, scarsdale/nyc, potomac/washington dc, etc.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 AM

385 posts, read 721,749 times
When not in LA I just say LA but when I met someone from LA and they ask what part I tell them South Central, cause thats where I'm from and I always get... " Have you ever seen anyone shot" Its annoying as hell

Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
I went to school in the Boo. Can anybody tell me what the "Boo" is? First person who knows gets a rep point!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Maliboooooooooooooooooooo.

They said it during an episode of Two and a Half Men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles