Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 12,465 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be attending grad school at UCLA and my boyfriend and I will be moving to the LA area around June. I was looking into affordable and safe options for living and came across Sherman Oaks. Does anyone know anything about this area? Is it safe/reasonably priced? How is the commute? I would be driving to Westwood and he will be in the film industry which means he will in the downtown and Hollywood/surrounding areas.

I am from Texas and we had visited in March but didn't have much luck with apartment searching. Budget is $900 - 1100 for a 1 bedroom. We have also looked into some apartments over by the Wilshire Center but I have heard mixed things about safety there... Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
I live in Sherman Oaks. The neighborhood is split into 3 distinct parts. South of the Boulevard (Ventura Blvd) is the rich part, lots of nice homes backing up to the hills. North of Ventura and south of the 101 is the 2nd part. This is where most of the apartments are located. North of the 101 Freeway is a bit more industrial and a little rougher as one approaches Van Nuys.

Sherman Oaks is one of the safest areas of the city. Commute to Westwood is about 45 minutes during moderate to heavy traffic. Commute to Hollywood on the 101 is about the same, though Cahuenga which borders the freeway there is a lot faster in my opinion.

Check out the Encore at Sherman Oaks. It is north of the 101, but a decent building within your price range and has a lot of students (non traditional and grad, so no huge frat parties).

The one benefit to being close to Ventura Blvd. is you can walk to a lot of stuff like stores, restaurants, and bars.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Thank you! I will check those out.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Also, the neighborhood is becoming more entertainment industry oriented. People have noticed a lot more agents, managers, etc. up there. Plus now celebrities are beginning to hang out around there so that could be good for your b/f.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,285 times
As long as you stay south of Oxnard Blvd in Sherman Oaks, you'll be 'ok.' It starts to get gritty north of that.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Do you know anything about the area around Wilshire Center? There are a few renovated apartments right in that area that are offering some pretty decent prices. Just not sure about safety?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 PM

I would avoid honestly, particularly if you are from a smaller Texas town. If you grew up in Houston, Dallas, or El Paso you might be able to handle it. Wilshire Center is urban living at its core. I don't want to discourage you, but check the area out for yourself. I suppose you are living with your boyfriend, which will make it better, but I checked out that area and I'm a male from Chicago and I wasn't at all impressed.

West of Normandie is much better than East and stick north of 6th Street until you get west of Wilton. Even then I was a little hesistant.

The problem with the area is that it is surrounded on 3 sides by complete problems. Westlake is a terrible neighborhood that separates Wilshire Center from downtown. It is the first stop for many impoverished Central American immigrants and is plagued by high crime and violence at night (daytime is usually ok).

South is Mid City, which has its fair share of issues. To the north is SE area of Hollywood and it is the worst area of Hollywood. Rents in that area are as low as $700 for one bedrooms, which indicates a problem in LA. If you look on the LAPD crime maps, it is pretty high crime for not being located in South Central or East LA.

To the west is good, particularly as you get close to Hancock Park and then the Miracle Mile is really nice.

If you can get to the far west of Wilshire Center, you are in a better position. The advantages of living there of course are proximity to downtown and Hollywood and you have the use of the subway for public transportation. Although your trek to UCLA will not be pleasant all the time because you have to take surface streets thru the heart of the city (some combo of Wilshire, Olympic, Santa Monica, Beverly Glen, etc).

Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,870 times
I live south of Wilshire Center (never really hear too many people using that name though). If you want to direct-message me the streets/block numbers of the streets that you're considering, I can give you some feedback. It's a real mixed neighborhood with some good spots, some not-so-good.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM

68 posts, read 168,908 times
When you refer to the Wilshire Center, do you mean mid-Wilshire? I basically live there in the Miracle Mile as they call it here. Pedestrian-heavy-ish and also car-traffic-heavy. If you live here, you will want to live close to your job or school. It won't be a fun drive around town with all the traffic.

Sherman Oaks sounds like a better fit for you since you'll be right next to the 405 Freeway (if mid-Wilshire and Sherman Oaks are your only two options). That'll bring you right to UCLA. Your Boyfriend will likely take the 101 to Hollywood and Downtown (traffic is murder and very hard to avoid).

Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM

I think she means mid Wilshire, but further east than Miracle Mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles