Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm a young blonde kid. But I agree, to see people of my type I have to stick to the Westside or the expensive areas.

And I think that goes for other types of people, too. They stick to those areas.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Yeah...now that I think about it I don't know if I've seen an entire blond person in the area where I live...North hollywood area.

Probably hard to believe if you told that to people in other parts of the country...they just wouldn't believe you.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
PDF

Yeah, and I didn't believe that about LA until I started living here. It's a little too diverse for me. But you can find your crowd, you just need to be in the right area.

North Hollywood? I was there today. I was expecting to be a little more impressed. The "Arts District" was alright, some cool shops. But the area outside of that was all gritty.

Plus it's hot in the Valley. And what's up with calling it NoHo? But the area was OK for what it is.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Yeah definitely pretty diverse in many ways. I guess it could be kind of a shocker depending where you come from.

I was born in L.A..but if I drive even a couple hours away or so , you definitely can feel the difference.

The feeling of "where did all these white people come from"

When I went to visit Pittsburgh last year...it was so strange not seeing hispanic or middle eastern or asian people all around too...

A guy at the hotel admitted total ignorance about Hispanic culture...anyone born in L.A seems to know at least a little about Hispanics.

Yeah NoHo Arts isn't super impressive really ...it's more of an 'up and coming area' that attracts people because of affordability and it's a part of the valley that has some decent places. Definately a lot of young 'hipster' type people hanging around there. I think in a way the grittiness appeals to these types ...look at the popularity of Echo Park and Downtown L.A .

I think all the little theaters/playhouses are interesting although I've only seen plays there a couple times.

Yes it is hot in the valley...especially come summer time.

I think NoHo Arts District is popular because it is a somewhat affordable area with stuff to do , versus a lot of the rest of North Hollywood or parts of the valley. You are also not too far from Hollywood and other areas which is a plus.

You can't compare it to something like 3rd street promenade or even WestWood village right now ...but the rents and property values are also MUCH less..

That being said if someone lives on the westside...I don't think there is much in NoHo arts worth driving to.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,311,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Hi there! I'm a young blonde kid. But I agree, to see people of my type I have to stick to the Westside or the expensive areas.

And I think that goes for other types of people, too. They stick to those areas.
Lots of blonds in Hollywood, even east hollywood, and the valley. you'd be surprised. folks like you from small towns who come chasing the dream, but most not as lucky as you (because you seem to have gotten a job).

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Lots of blonds in Hollywood, even east hollywood, and the valley. you'd be surprised. folks like you from small towns who come chasing the dream, but most not as lucky as you (because you seem to have gotten a job).
I came from a suburb of a mid-size city, but yeah it was pretty much a small town. And yes I got a job right away, so I guess I got lucky.

I have noticed that lots of those Hollywood hopefuls are in Hollywood and the Valley, though. I'll be sticking to the Westside mostly.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 PM

374 posts, read 721,963 times
NoHo sucks. Almost all of it.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,300,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah definitely pretty diverse in many ways. I guess it could be kind of a shocker depending where you come from.

I was born in L.A..but if I drive even a couple hours away or so , you definitely can feel the difference.

The feeling of "where did all these white people come from"

When I went to visit Pittsburgh last year...it was so strange not seeing hispanic or middle eastern or asian people all around too...
I had the same feeling going to Seattle a few months ago. It felt wierd seeing a majority of mostly Northern European descendants as soon as I got off the plane. The diversity we are used to here isn't common in other parts of the country.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Yeah...I think that lack of diversity and it being mostly White or Black is one of the reasons I wouldn't want to live in Pittsburgh...along with the weather also I went when the weather was nice.

Also I kept hearing and reading about how nice the people are , but didn't really get that vibe...

The architecture is definitely amazing though and a lot of museums too. Also real estate prices are much lower, unemployment low, the city seems to be well run unlike L.A and many areas are gentrifying.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah...I think that lack of diversity and it being mostly White or Black is one of the reasons I wouldn't want to live in Pittsburgh...along with the weather also I went when the weather was nice.

Also I kept hearing and reading about how nice the people are , but didn't really get that vibe...

The architecture is definitely amazing though and a lot of museums too. Also real estate prices are much lower, unemployment low, the city seems to be well run unlike L.A and many areas are gentrifying.
isn't pittsburgh also one of the few cities with air pollution that rivals LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles