U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-17-2015, 01:03 AM
 
1,564 posts, read 835,231 times
Reputation: 495

Advertisements

Well Downtown L.A is 5 sq miles ,That's bigger than Downtown Chicago & Midtown & Lower Manhattan respectively.

Once the revitalization process is finished DTLA will be amazing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2015, 02:30 AM
 
73 posts, read 65,037 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Well Downtown L.A is 5 sq miles ,That's bigger than Downtown Chicago & Midtown & Lower Manhattan respectively.

Once the revitalization process is finished DTLA will be amazing.
DTLA will be amazing, but respectively it won't be Midtown or Lower Manhattan.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 11:14 AM
PDF
 
11,387 posts, read 8,672,323 times
Reputation: 6496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
DTLA will be amazing, but respectively it won't be Midtown or Lower Manhattan.
I think it'll be able to stand on its own, though. I think people would be happy with it becoming a second-tier downtown, and some would argue it's already there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 PM
 
1,575 posts, read 1,794,747 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think it'll be able to stand on its own, though. I think people would be happy with it becoming a second-tier downtown, and some would argue it's already there.
L.A. needs to flex. Mentality is, it's never good enough. Give 110%..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
2,917 posts, read 3,242,262 times
Reputation: 3179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
DTLA will be amazing, but respectively it won't be Midtown or Lower Manhattan.
The freeway loop that makes up DTLA is 5 square miles in total area, but the actual "downtown" is really only in the west-half of the freeway loop, with the eastern-half of the loop made up of warehouses and single-story structures. At the center of the DTLA freeway loop is Skid Row.

DTLA is attracting a nice amount of residential development, especially along Figueroa (including the huge Metropolis development). But it will still be quite underdeveloped to be compared to Manhattan.

It's also worth noting that Downtown SF, Chicago, Boston, and Seattle are experiencing explosive developmental growth as well, so it's not like DTLA is the only growing urban center.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 PM
PDF
 
11,387 posts, read 8,672,323 times
Reputation: 6496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
L.A. needs to flex. Mentality is, it's never good enough. Give 110%..
But becoming like Chicago or NYC downtown areas? Even the most optimistic person knows that won't happen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 PM
 
1,564 posts, read 835,231 times
Reputation: 495
Why does it need to be Like Manhattan though ?

Manhattan was built to be a financial hub for the Northeast & due to the geographic location it was built in a vertical system, Most people dont know that DTLA in the beginning once had the biggest train system in the world but once the Auto industry hit Los Angeles it became the Auto Capital .

Los Angeles has the potential to be the best city ever,The weather & geographic location is miles ahead of Manhattan ,Plus it's still growing so let's see what the future has in store.

Las vegas is another city with the potential to grow into one of the greatest cities. The High speed rail project on the Westcoast will revolutionize public transportation in the country once complete.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,235 posts, read 1,125,065 times
Reputation: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Why does it need to be Like Manhattan though ?

Manhattan was built to be a financial hub for the Northeast & due to the geographic location it was built in a vertical system, Most people dont know that DTLA in the beginning once had the biggest train system in the world but once the Auto industry hit Los Angeles it became the Auto Capital .

.
Actually, it was the 1,000 plus mile inter-urban train network that encouraged the de-centralized nature of LA's development, not the auto which came a bit later. Yes, the arrival of the mass produced automobile "accelerated" that dispersal but the seed was already planted with the extensive rail network.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 11:17 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 1,922,535 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The freeway loop that makes up DTLA is 5 square miles in total area, but the actual "downtown" is really only in the west-half of the freeway loop, with the eastern-half of the loop made up of warehouses and single-story structures. At the center of the DTLA freeway loop is Skid Row.

DTLA is attracting a nice amount of residential development, especially along Figueroa (including the huge Metropolis development). But it will still be quite underdeveloped to be compared to Manhattan.

It's also worth noting that Downtown SF, Chicago, Boston, and Seattle are experiencing explosive developmental growth as well, so it's not like DTLA is the only growing urban center.
This is partially true...The Eastern Half, from 1st to the 10 is warehouses, but that entire half is going to be the upper and lower arts district. There are already--so i've been informed-- developers who are speculating and purchasing buildings on the other side of DTLA. That would greatly expand what outsiders would consider to be DTLA. Not saying it will be a cohesive unit but these are the plans.

DTLA will never be Manhattan, it will be DTLA, which will be an amazing place in its own right.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
2,917 posts, read 3,242,262 times
Reputation: 3179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
This is partially true...The Eastern Half, from 1st to the 10 is warehouses, but that entire half is going to be the upper and lower arts district. There are already--so i've been informed-- developers who are speculating and purchasing buildings on the other side of DTLA. That would greatly expand what outsiders would consider to be DTLA. Not saying it will be a cohesive unit but these are the plans.

DTLA will never be Manhattan, it will be DTLA, which will be an amazing place in its own right.
This is absolutely true! The Arts District has quite a few projects going on, including the giant Santa Fe project. It yeah, the Arts District really isn't connected to the rest of DTLA.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top