Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
If you don't like it you can always pack up and go somewhere else.
Then start a topic in the L.A. forum at City-Data announcing how much you hate L.A., listing, in excruciating detail, 25 things you hate the most and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,142 times
I'm presuming most of the 11 million people who live in LA County, including myself, like to live here. Otherwise they would pack up and move to a far far cheaper location (i.e. Topeka).

Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I'm presuming most of the 11 million people who live in LA County, including myself, like to live here. Otherwise they would pack up and move to a far far cheaper location (i.e. Topeka).
it's unrealistic for people to just move because a current place isn't working. In most cases a job offer has to come first. The majority of people don't have the type of skills that would entice a company to not only hire them from afar, but pay for them to move. Most people will take what they know...right now even if its miserable because they fear what they will have to risk packing up not just themself but their family for a new location with no job lined up, even if it's in Topeka, or whatever, its not smart to just 'move'

Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,142 times
You are moving from Spokane so I am assuming there is a huge price differential between the places. Where in LA are you moving?

Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 AM

500 posts, read 841,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
it's unrealistic for people to just move because a current place isn't working. In most cases a job offer has to come first. The majority of people don't have the type of skills that would entice a company to not only hire them from afar, but pay for them to move. Most people will take what they know...right now even if its miserable because they fear what they will have to risk packing up not just themself but their family for a new location with no job lined up, even if it's in Topeka, or whatever, its not smart to just 'move'
I moved many times accross the world and US... "job"... who cares? It's for boring little people with no life to worry about that stuff :XX Plus....what kind of idiot employer would hire someone non-local, unless it's a super-skilled top-level position?? Sorry, in this economy, you pay your relocation, and you better relocate first--to the place you want to live at. Lol, that OP is in administrative line of work... picture this: a company in LA hires an admin assistant...who has to relocate from another state... lol. Especially considering the unemployment rate and billion of clerks looking for work in LA. People should move where they want to live... and things will work out, if it's meant to be. I'm against relocating only after finding a job... once I did that, and I hated the place (San Diego) and left the job and was feeling f*** mad, hated everything, plus employer didn't give enough time to relocate/find place to live.... need to live in the city first and see if you can tolerate it even.

Last edited by xani; 05-29-2011 at 03:30 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charm6177 View Post
currently I live on the east coast but I want to move out to L.A. sometime in the near future, particularly Santa Monica if I can manage it. I don't know anyone, no friends or family out there and all my family is here on the east coast but I hate the winters here so much and have always loved California even though I've only visited for a short amount of time.

Also, would someone like me fit in out there and where exactly: female, white american, early 30’s, single, no kids, christian, quiet, not the party type, working administrative professional
It can be a very lonely place. It's really the loneliness than people find hard to adjust to. The important thing when you get settled is to go out and be active in making friends. It's the people that make the place.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 AM

5 posts, read 8,026 times
Thanks for sharing the info folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles