Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 AM

27 posts, read 148,391 times

Advertisements

So i was just watching "The Hills" and since i live all the way out in ny, and have never been out to Cali, i am just wondering what Hollywood is considered. According to Wikipedia, they call it a "district", and it shows the boundaries, which seem pretty big to me, almost as if Hollywood is like all of LA. So i guess im just trying to get a sense of what Hollywood is considered. Obviously Hollywood and Los Angeles isnt the same thing, and its not like it's own city. So what exactly do you guys consider it to be. West Hollywood and Beverly Hills are their own cities though, correct?
And is Hollywood big, or did it just seem like it they way they showed the map. The map on wikipedia had Los Angeles in the middle of it, making it seem as if LA was in the middle of Hollywood, and not Hollywood being on the northwest side of LA... so I guess im just confused. I really want to visit all of Southern California sometime in my life.

- Oh and one more thing, do alot of people refer to other cities in Los Angeles County as being part of the City of LA. So like if they were moving to Beverly Hills would they still say they were moving to LA. (making it seem like they were moving to the city.. but really their moving to the county?) - is this making any sense to anyone.

--Thanks if anyone can clear this up for me. If not, thanks anyways... hope it wasnt too confusing for you. --

Last edited by xxosaryoxx; 08-09-2007 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 01:32 AM

anyone out there got any info for me please?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 AM

179 posts, read 921,545 times
we consider hollywood is a part of LA, but only reluctantly. But the tv shows "the hills" and "the oc" or whatever as not representive of anything L.A. or even of "the hills" or "the oc." They are considered soap operas and nothing more.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
From a pracitical standpoint, the word "Hollywood" is used to refer to two things: First, it is a district or neighborhood within the city of Los Angeles. LA has many distinct neighborhoods with their own name and identity like Bel Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Silverlake, Encino, Venice, North Hollywood, etc. However, they are all a part of the city of Los Angeles. We don't have boroughs in LA. LA is divided into council districts and each disrict has an elected representative on the City Council. There is also only one mayor of the entire city. No borough presidents or mayors like in New York.

Second, "Hollywood" also refers to the "industry" or entertainment industry at large. Sometimes in a vernacular way Hollywood is used to refer to Los Angeles as a whole, because LA's identity and image is largely defined and shaped by the presence of the entertainment business.

To answer your second question, many people who might move to Southern California or the Greater LA area might say they are moving to LA even if they are actually moving to another city in the Greater LA area lile Long Beach or Beverly Hills as you mentioned. I also think that if you live in the LA area and are traveling to other parts of the country or overseas and you're asked where do you live, people might say LA even if they live in a different city or even as far as Orange County because most people have heard of LA and recognize what you are talking about. I think most people who live in LA County will say they are from LA or live in LA, even if they don't technically reside within the city limits of LA.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 AM

Thank you sooo much therealangelion. I cant wait to get a chance to visit out there sometime. I guess its just kind of one of those things you see and hear about all the time, but you dont ever really understand it til you get to see it for yourself. but thanks alot. i hope i didnt sound too much like a freak. hah

Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
we consider hollywood is a part of LA, but only reluctantly. But the tv shows "the hills" and "the oc" or whatever as not representive of anything L.A. or even of "the hills" or "the oc." They are considered soap operas and nothing more.
ok. cool! thank you for your reply. Ive always kind of wondered about the whole LA/ SoCal area. but thanks for your answer. And I know their soap operas and "the hills" is suppossed to be a reality tv show... but its not. Same with "Laguna Beach." Which i also can't wait to visit!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:56 AM

119 posts, read 881,186 times
Hollywood, would have been, there was a plan to create a borough system 5 years ago by changing the city charter (similar to a constitution amendment) to increase representation and create more local control. There would be 9 boroughs including Downtown LA, EastSide, South Los Angeles, Harbor, West Los Angeles, Hollywood, Highland Park, West San Fernando Valley, and East San Fernando Valley. However, the voters voted against it, they didn't want another layer of government and the city council opposed it because it would have dilute their power.

The city council refused to increase the size of council especially increasing of population over the last 30 years and It should have been done.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,145 times
Default SanDis also do

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
From a pracitical standpoint, the word "Hollywood" is used to refer to two things: First, it is a district or neighborhood within the city of Los Angeles. LA has many distinct neighborhoods with their own name and identity like Bel Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Silverlake, Encino, Venice, North Hollywood, etc. However, they are all a part of the city of Los Angeles. We don't have boroughs in LA. LA is divided into council districts and each disrict has an elected representative on the City Council. There is also only one mayor of the entire city. No borough presidents or mayors like in New York.

Second, "Hollywood" also refers to the "industry" or entertainment industry at large. Sometimes in a vernacular way Hollywood is used to refer to Los Angeles as a whole, because LA's identity and image is largely defined and shaped by the presence of the entertainment business.

To answer your second question, many people who might move to Southern California or the Greater LA area might say they are moving to LA even if they are actually moving to another city in the Greater LA area lile Long Beach or Beverly Hills as you mentioned. I also think that if you live in the LA area and are traveling to other parts of the country or overseas and you're asked where do you live, people might say LA even if they live in a different city or even as far as Orange County because most people have heard of LA and recognize what you are talking about. I think most people who live in LA County will say they are from LA or live in LA, even if they don't technically reside within the city limits of LA.

Few days ago I was in the hall of the hotel in Stockholm (Sweden) and a couple was talking with people from Spain, they asked to the American couple: Which city are you from? And they answer, from San Diego, so the spanish people say: where?? and they say, from Los Angeles.....so the spanish people say: ahhhhhhhhhhh!! Los Angeles, California!! We wanna go there, to the beaches, to the hills, to Hollywood...

Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
Few days ago I was in the hall of the hotel in Stockholm (Sweden) and a couple was talking with people from Spain, they asked to the American couple: Which city are you from? And they answer, from San Diego, so the spanish people say: where?? and they say, from Los Angeles.....so the spanish people say: ahhhhhhhhhhh!! Los Angeles, California!! We wanna go there, to the beaches, to the hills, to Hollywood...
That's funny. I live in San Diego and say I from LA too. But that's because I really am.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,145 times
It´s as funny as true. The only well known Californian´s cities outside North America, are L.A and S.F., San Diego is very popular also in Mexico, but not in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles