Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 01:53 AM

9 posts, read 17,166 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I rented an apartment on Virginia ave. near 20th and Pico. I mainly rented it because it is very close to SMC. When I originally came to view the apartment and decided to rent it, the area looked fine. However, it was mid morning during the week. Haven't moved in yet, but now I am now freaking out. I read on yelp there was a shooting at the park (which is across the street) and there is gang activity there. I know there are shootings everywhere and it happened in 2009, but is this area dangerous? Are those reviews just over exaggerating? Would it be unsafe to come home to at night? I have a month to month. If its dangerous, I would like to know so I can give notice asap.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 22,512 times
"Dangerous" is probably overstating it. "Sketchy" is a more nuanced term. In Santa Monica, the area between 14th and Cloverfield, Pico and the freeway, is the one area where I wouldn't want to live. I think Virginia Park is perfectly okay during the day, Moms take their kids in strollers, etc.

As far as coming home at night, any time you live in the city it behooves you to be aware of your surroundings.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 17,166 times
Thanks for the help Jim.

I'll keep my eye out for a rental in a better area.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
crime watch (http://www.smdp.com/SecHistory-7875.112116_crime_watch.html - broken link)

weekly crime reports in santa monica. after quick look, it seems most of the crime in SM is located near the beach.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 22,512 times
You almost have to split the crime into two categories: that targeted at tourists, which is going to be centered along the beach, and the normal "domestic" crime, if that makes any sense.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceTheLight View Post
Hello,
I rented an apartment on Virginia ave. near 20th and Pico. I mainly rented it because it is very close to SMC. When I originally came to view the apartment and decided to rent it, the area looked fine. However, it was mid morning during the week. Haven't moved in yet, but now I am now freaking out. I read on yelp there was a shooting at the park (which is across the street) and there is gang activity there. I know there are shootings everywhere and it happened in 2009, but is this area dangerous? Are those reviews just over exaggerating? Would it be unsafe to come home to at night? I have a month to month. If its dangerous, I would like to know so I can give notice asap.
Thanks.
It has changed a lot over the past 20 years. Some things remain the same though, sketchy is the best word.

on a good note, If you ever need to hire a gardner or maid, they can walk to work.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
I used to go to a Sunday morning boot camp class at Virginia Ave Park. They have a farmer's market there on Sunday mornings also. Never did I feel that area was dangerous in the slightest. Maybe it's different at night?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Maybe it's different at night?
I wouldn't worry about being there during the day, or at night for that matter, but its worth mentioning. Anywhere can become dangerous under the right circumstances.

The shooting you're speaking or occurred in late '09, and, if i remember correctly, was gang related.

The gang activity in Santa Monica is not nearly as rough as other areas in LA county, so don't spend too much time worrying about it. With that being said, however, there are certainly nicer areas of SM, which would be equally close to SMC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: