Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 AM

6 posts, read 6,506 times

Advertisements

I've taken a new contract for the next 12 months based in Century City and we have decided to actually rent a place rather then living in serviced accommodation. We have 2 young children under 4yo and are looking for a small house reasonably close to my office. I have been given a budget of $7k per month by my employer but we could top that up a bit if necessary. What we are looking for a nice 3 bedroom family house with facilities close by in a real "neighborhood" . The streets full of endless condo's and townhouses near Century city/West LA/ North Santa Monica do not exactly fill us with lust, we'd like this next 12 months to be a bit of a adventure so we would like a nice but a cooler more quirky area then what we saw very close to Century City. Any ideas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Venice I guess. Maybe off Melrose in Hollywood, say between near Fairfax.

Most families with kids go for the more vanilla locations though. For houses, Rancho Park, Culver City, parts of Westwood, esp near the country club just north of Century City. But none are what I'd describe as quirky.

As to your budget...if 7K per month is your total salary, you should be able to find plenty nice places for $3K a month rent. If you have $7k per month for rent, your're good everywhere except the wealthiest of digs.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Carthay Circle, Larchmont Village, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Venice (near Abbot Kinney), or Mircale Mile (one of the single-family districts near La Brea/Wilshire).

Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Would anyone know the approx commute from this property to Century city ?
2431 Carman Crest Sunset Strip | Hollywood Hills | Los Angeles, CA 90068 (http://www.hiltonhyland.com/property/1645/2431-Carman-Crest.html - broken link)

Otherwise what would be the commute from Silverlake/ Echo Park area?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpopper View Post
Would anyone know the approx commute from this property to Century city ?
2431 Carman Crest Sunset Strip | Hollywood Hills | Los Angeles, CA 90068 (http://www.hiltonhyland.com/property/1645/2431-Carman-Crest.html - broken link)

Otherwise what would be the commute from Silverlake/ Echo Park area?
Map Quest puts the commute at about 23 minutes (i.e., no traffic).

Peak hours I'd say that part of the Hollywood Hills to Century City is approx. 35 to 40 minutes.
MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Silverlake/Echo Park would be worse.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 PM

We've decided to concentrate on the area around Manderville Canyon for now ....looks like it offers everything we want.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i wouldn't call mandeville canyone a 'real' neighborhood. there are some amazing houses up there, but amenities are miles away. i think a much better location would be south of mandeville near san vicente boulevard or near montana ave in santa monica. there are a lot of wealthy families in these areas along with parks and plenty of shopping/dining options. while mandeville canyon can feel like an escape from the city, it's also very secluded and not very child friendly with all of the speeding cars and cyclists that use the road. i'm not trying to discount mandeville (i love it!), i just don't think that it is ideal for a family with young children.

if you're still looking for neighborhoods, i would definitely stay west of century city. it is much easier to access century city from the west than the east.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 AM

Yeah certainly the area just north of San vicente boulevard is one of our favorites. Certainly we weren't planning on going all the way up Mandeville but rather staying around the bottom end.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i wouldn't call mandeville canyone a 'real' neighborhood. there are some amazing houses up there, but amenities are miles away. i think a much better location would be south of mandeville near san vicente boulevard or near montana ave in santa monica. there are a lot of wealthy families in these areas along with parks and plenty of shopping/dining options. while mandeville canyon can feel like an escape from the city, it's also very secluded and not very child friendly with all of the speeding cars and cyclists that use the road. i'm not trying to discount mandeville (i love it!), i just don't think that it is ideal for a family with young children.

if you're still looking for neighborhoods, i would definitely stay west of century city. it is much easier to access century city from the west than the east.
But accessing Century City from west of the 405 is worse than accessing it from any other direction. Given the choice I would much rather even pass through Beverly Hills than pass through the utter traffic nightmare that is the area by the 405. That is why I would not recommend that anyone who's working east of the 405 live west of the 405 (unless they are living and/or working right next to the freeway.)

Old 09-09-2014, 01:37 AM

still here ... Ended up giving up traffic after the first year and we bought a house off Stone Canyon in mid Bel Air.... 5 min commute ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles