Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I'm considering a move to the L.A. area and hope to continue teaching (certified in Special Education). I'm currently teaching in New York City's South Bronx, and have had enough of the hood! However, I do want to be close to the city.

Any suggestions on school districts within an easy commute ("easy commute" being an oxymoron, I know) of L.A., that are reasonably good places to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Hi -- I'm considering a move to the L.A. area and hope to continue teaching (certified in Special Education). I'm currently teaching in New York City's South Bronx, and have had enough of the hood! However, I do want to be close to the city.

Any suggestions on school districts within an easy commute ("easy commute" being an oxymoron, I know) of L.A., that are reasonably good places to work?

Where in LA are you planning on living?
LAUSD supposedly pays well (is that your definition of a good school district)?

What about high performing kids with proactive parents?
Conejo Unified School District
Simi Unified School District
Moorpark USD
Las Virgenes USD
Hart USD (Santa Clarita Area)

Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where in LA are you planning on living?
LAUSD supposedly pays well (is that your definition of a good school district)?
Where I live will depend on where I end up working, and I'd prefer to avoid LAUSD because, as I said, I've had my fill of teaching "in da hood."

So, while salary will be a factor, it's certainly not the only consideration. I'd like a district where kids, in general, care about their education and violence isn't a daily issue.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM

61 posts, read 431,566 times
My sister-in-law has taught special education for 18+ years. The school districts that are well known (in my area) for having outstanding special education services are Manhattan Beach School District and the Palos Verdes Unified School District. I live in PV with a child on an IEP and can tell you both from a personal and professional standpoint the school district here is outstanding. The parent participation in both of the these districts is fabulous as well. Teachers receive tons of volunteer support here at the elementary level.

My sister-in-law has taught in both of these districts and enjoys them both.

Not sure if you're planning to rent or purchase a home but there are plenty of affordable housing options surrounding both of these areas. My sister-in-law has lived in Hermosa/Redondo all of her adult life since college on a teacher's salary.

Oh and proximity to "the city" is quite doable though LA is definitely not like the city in NY.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Thanks -- I'll take a look at both these places!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:48 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Where I live will depend on where I end up working, and I'd prefer to avoid LAUSD because, as I said, I've had my fill of teaching "in da hood."

So, while salary will be a factor, it's certainly not the only consideration. I'd like a district where kids, in general, care about their education and violence isn't a daily issue.
Some of the best school districts in LA County include:

South Pasadena
Beverly Hills
La Canada
Palos Verdes
Manhattan Beach
El Segundo
Torrance
Malibu/Santa Monica
San Marino

There are others; some have already been mentioned. Also, not all of the schools within LAUSD are in the "hood" and they are not all bad. The elementary schools particularly in affluent areas like Westwood, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Encino, Los Feliz, Studio City among numerous other neighborhoods of LA are quite good and have very supportive parental involvement. Use the Great Schools web site to see how each school within each school district ranks.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:16 PM

Thanks -- I'll be sure to check out the GreatSchools site!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM

61 posts, read 431,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

What about high performing kids with proactive parents?
Conejo Unified School District
Simi Unified School District
Moorpark USD
Las Virgenes USD
Hart USD (Santa Clarita Area)
As I'm sure the OP is aware of, general ed statistics do not necessarily translate nor correspond to the quality of special education services in that distict. I would love to see input on your post from people who have had experience with special ed. in various districts. Both professional and personal--don't know if any of the other posters have any personal experience but I would be eager to know if they do. Having a child with developmental issues I am always interested to know what other districts are doing in this area.

I'm not familiar with all of the above districts but I would offer caution on Simi Unified. While they are a fine district for general ed. students this district is definitely behind in implementing and administering special education services that serve students who are not profoundly impacted by their disabilities in my opinion.

My nephew who has aspergers syndrome had a difficult time with follow through from the administration in receiving support. He had a choice of struggling in general ed with minimal support or placed in an SDC program which was really designed (as confirmed by district officials) for children with emotional/behavioral issues. It was hardly a learning environment--more of a disciplinary program. One administrator even recommended at one point that we look into another school district or private school as "their system just was not structured" for kids who fall "in between." Many of the parents in his support group voiced the same concern and other concerns about services in the district.

For me, the issues above impact the ability of fine educators within the district to perform and teach in a way that would most benefit the children. If you're looking to actually teach and make a difference in the life of a child with special needs I would look at other districts.

Last edited by dbaMommy; 02-11-2008 at 11:41 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Don't believe for a minute that Manhattan Beach USD is known for a rosy reputation in Special Ed. There was a landmark case recently that settled out of court for $6.7 million. The district had been neglecting to provide FAPE over several years and were trying to get away with murder. The "stepford" style of MBUSD has been infamous for greatly overlooking the needs of students with disabilities, and the whole subject is a hot topic for locals. They are trying to fix the problem, but it is too little and too late for some. Many in the community have vilified the children with special needs as being the black hole sucking away at all the money the schools have at their disposal. We are talking about a community where a 1 bedroom condo goes for more than $1,000,000. I would not allow my son to attend school there (he has been on an IEP since the first grade).

Special Ed is a whole different ball of wax than just which schools have the best reputation in general. As for the poster who mentioned that the school advised them into looking at private school because the district they were zoned to couldn't provide him with what he needed - you are aware, I hope, that the school must pay for that private education? If the district to which you are zoned is unable to meet the needs of a child to ensure a fair and appropriate education, then the school must pay for other accommodations.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
and if you check out orange county you'll find plenty more non-hood schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles