Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Not looking to buy or make any sort of permanent move. That said, if one were were to live in this hood for a few weeks to a few months, how would it compare with, say, Western and Hollywood? Better or worse? If worse, how much worse? Are we talking near-USC worse, or barely worse?

Would this be an area where a couple could be reasonably safe walking at night (especially walking from there to areas like Armenian Town and Thai Town, or, eastward into Silver Lake)?

The reason I'm even asking is, the last time I spent a decent amount of time in this area was 25 years ago, suffice it to say, it was truly a bad area back then. But times change ... as we all know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Vermont and Santa Monica is pretty close to Hollywood / Western imo, perhaps a little worse. My wife and I walked from the metro stop at that corner into Sunset Junction on a weekend day w/ no problems (other than seeing typically creepy looking people that paid us no mind). We also went to see a show on Melrose just south of there last weekend and there were a ton of kids at another show in the area and in general had a fair amount of pedestrial activity at 9 PM on a Sunday.

The area near the Kaiser hospital is pretty nice, some good restaurants and bars and it's walking distance. Thai Town / Little Armenia seem like a pretty solid trek from SM and Vermont.

It seemed grimier and slightly more dangerous than my neighborhood which is around Hollywood and Cahuenga. For just a few months I would live there, but make sure to be safe late at night.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Appreciate the perspective.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
It is too bad this neighborhood and much of Hollywood has declined - perhaps it is due to the studios moving to N. Hollywood and Culver City. The jobs went north and south. My grandma went to Chapman University in the 1940's. Back then it was on Vermont just south of Santa Monica. Today it is LA City College. She never felt any threat around the college then. If my work was nearby - I would live in Hollywood. Proximity to my work is my #1 criteria for a housing location. And believe me, I have had some messed up commutes on a bus, that were 15 miles and 2 hrs. Check my threads - I always emphasize work location - and the proximity to it for a residence.. I wouldn't just move to Hollywood on a whim though. Let's get one thing clear - it's glory years were when my grandmother was in high school - and she was watching great movies back in the 30's - Hollywood was a nice place then. Now....?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Continuing in the vein of "areas in transition" / gradually gentrifying hoods ...

If you had to choose between this hood, and say, Western just north of the 10 (~ Western and Washington), which would you choose?

How about this hood, vs. Silver Lake and Bellevue?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Continuing in the vein of "areas in transition" / gradually gentrifying hoods ...

If you had to choose between this hood, and say, Western just north of the 10 (~ Western and Washington), which would you choose?

My friend lives on Maltman in Silver Lake (about three-four blocks from SL and bellevue) they love it... Lots of hipsters though so I guess if you don't like 'uber-cool' types it may be a little annoying.

I don't have any experience with Western and Washington area. From street view it looks pretty car dependant (It looks like it is as far as you can get in either direction from the purple line or the expo line, right in the middle!)

Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It is too bad this neighborhood and much of Hollywood has declined - perhaps it is due to the studios moving to N. Hollywood and Culver City. The jobs went north and south. My grandma went to Chapman University in the 1940's. Back then it was on Vermont just south of Santa Monica. Today it is LA City College. She never felt any threat around the college then. If my work was nearby - I would live in Hollywood. Proximity to my work is my #1 criteria for a housing location. And believe me, I have had some messed up commutes on a bus, that were 15 miles and 2 hrs. Check my threads - I always emphasize work location - and the proximity to it for a residence.. I wouldn't just move to Hollywood on a whim though. Let's get one thing clear - it's glory years were when my grandmother was in high school - and she was watching great movies back in the 30's - Hollywood was a nice place then. Now....?
I respect your opinion but I think if you visited Hollywood again you would be surprised with the progress it has made since the 90s, early 00s. It is still a little slummy but far from dangerous. It may not be a 'golden period' but IMO it is in the middle of a decade long renaissance.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

I'd choose Santa Monica and Vermont over Washington and Western.

Quote:
Silver Lake and Bellevue is the sketchiest corner in Silver Lake but it's a really great neighborhood. I'd MUCH rather live there than SM and Vermont.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Again, excellent perspective. City Data at its best, thanks!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 PM

56 posts, read 126,663 times
I used to take the bus all the time along Western. I'd say Western & Washington is going to be worse than Vermont & Santa Monica. Western gets a lot better going north once you hit Pico or Olympic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles