Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times

Advertisements

Diamond Bar is nice too. It is hilly and has larger homes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 PM

278 posts, read 636,509 times
What I think you should do honestly, and it sounds like some previous posters agree, is check out suburbs south of LA and even as far as the inland empire to areas around Riverside.

My dad was a pilot that commuted to LAX and also Ontario Airport from the city I grew up in called Canyon Lake. All the houses are within walking distance to a beautiful boating lake. A lot of the houses have pools. It's a gated community though but that honestly doesn't make any difference. It was about 80 miles from LAX which could take 1.5-2 hours in traffic. There are nice houses in that area where you can get 3,500 square feet for under $400,000.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Many good suburbs, depends on you're priority, you can either have a big house somewhere considered remote or you can live in a smaller house somewhere popular..

Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
All suburbs in Los Angeles have improved over the last 10-20yrs, even Compton is no where near as bad, dirty and ghetto as it used to be.. Compton is actually very alright now and has some attractive pockets..

Here a video driving through Compton

An afternoon drive through Compton - YouTube

Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 38,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
What I think you should do honestly, and it sounds like some previous posters agree, is check out suburbs south of LA and even as far as the inland empire to areas around Riverside.

My dad was a pilot that commuted to LAX and also Ontario Airport from the city I grew up in called Canyon Lake. All the houses are within walking distance to a beautiful boating lake. A lot of the houses have pools. It's a gated community though but that honestly doesn't make any difference. It was about 80 miles from LAX which could take 1.5-2 hours in traffic. There are nice houses in that area where you can get 3,500 square feet for under $400,000.
OK that sounds really nice, I will check it out. Thanks for the advice. Sound like just what I am looking for.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 12,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1a4u4r0a View Post
Hi Everyone, I am looking into moving out to LA area. I would like some suggestions. Here is about what I am looking for:

1. I would like to live somewhere safe
2. I will be working out of the LAX airport so preferably north of LA, but I don't mind having to drive up to 2 hours to get to work because I fly out and don't return for a couple days.
3. I can afford a house in about the 400-450k range (I would be transferring my current job to out there, so that's how I already know what I can afford)
4. I would like a lot of house for my money, including maybe a pool or area pool, nice hilly views outside
5. Being able to walk to a shopping area or a park or trails on the hills would be a plus. I am a young adult now and like young fun areas, and to be active, but would like buy a house to have a family in.
6. Climate is not too big of an issue since I like hot weather which is the whole reason I want to move out of the midwest, but I do like where it is lush enough that grass can grow in your yard.

I have been looking at Santa Clarita, There are some pretty nice houses for sale around 3000 sq ft for 425 with pool, hot tub, balcony off the master, a view, etc. Is this a nice area? It is only about an hour drive to LAX in traffic so that would be ideal. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Santa Clarita is an hour from LAX, by helicopter. If you are working out of LAX you need to think of living in Torrance or someplace like that. It could take 2 hours to get out of the valley.
Also, don't walk anywhere, unless you are at a mall or amusment park, everyone will think your a hooker.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:35 PM

320 posts, read 417,338 times
I live in Valencia (Santa Clarita) and really enjoy it. I used to live in the valley and I really didn't want to raise my kids there. We also wanted to live somewhat away from the craziness yet still be less than 30 mins from it all. The schools here are great, you get more house for the money and it's a clean, pretty, safe area with plenty of restaurants, and shopping. Very Family friendly! I would also highly suggest Claremont. It's beautiful and has so much charm with a small town feel. Claremont has wonderful schools and the Claremont Village is great! Claremont is actually a college town, but also extremely family friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles