Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,872 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Getting ready for my next adventure....and I am DYING to go to one of the bigger farmer's markets. So I googled it....Grand Central Square in LA and the one in Santa Monica seem nice...which is better? Or is there another really cool market to go to that I don't know about? Looking for good deals...looking for recao leaves for my Puerto Rican sweetie...and looking for some good sights also. Any recommendations or should I make an effort to do both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:36 PM

636 posts, read 2,645,183 times
The grand central square market is interesting to visit for it's historic status. It's been around forever. It's an indoor market with sawdust floors. A real old time market place.

Now you don't mention the most famous farmer's market - The one at fairfax

The Original Farmers Market It's my favorite place but you have to deal with The Grove crowds.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,829 times
I haven't lived in L. A. since '75 and my vote is for the market I went to as a kid on Fairfax.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:35 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
The Long Beach Southeast Farmer's Market is wonderful - right next to a beautiful marina and around the corner from Seal Beach, it is in a pretty setting with great vendors.

For a really large Farmer's Market, the Long Beach downtown farmer's market is great - lots and lots to choose from and located in an area with fun restaurants and shopping near the ocean.

Here is a link:Certified Farmers Markets: Long Beach, Cerritos, Huntington Park

Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 AM

320 posts, read 1,733,636 times
another vote for the Fairfax market. we drive 25 miles to go on the rare occassion we do go. Almost every other city has them nowadays on some night during the week. The only night I DON"T have one less than 7 miles a way is Monday

Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,872 times
Oh my...decisions, decisions, decisions. I wanted to go to some of the bigger ones first....so I think I will start with Fairfax this weekend and then try a new one every week or so. I hate to sound like a 'tourist' or worse act like one but so much to see and learn and do here!!!! I hated the market back where I am from originally in PA....nothing was fresh and local produce was expensive and run of the mill. And of course...once the snow flies...bye-bye market.

I am still open to suggestions of course, if anyone has a favorite PLEASE post!!

It is so great here!!!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,640,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Oh my...decisions, decisions, decisions. I wanted to go to some of the bigger ones first....so I think I will start with Fairfax this weekend and then try a new one every week or so. I hate to sound like a 'tourist' or worse act like one but so much to see and learn and do here!!!! I hated the market back where I am from originally in PA....nothing was fresh and local produce was expensive and run of the mill. And of course...once the snow flies...bye-bye market.

I am still open to suggestions of course, if anyone has a favorite PLEASE post!!

It is so great here!!!!!
many of farmers' markets are groups of traveling peddlers that set up tents on a city block reserved for this purpose once a week: hollywood on monday, culver city on tuesday, and so on. if you go from one to the other, you will recognize the same vendors. some are affiliated with brick-and-mortar wholesale or retail merchants, and others offer their goods for sale in this way exclusively.

the fairfax farmers' market and the grand central market downtown are both stationary. fairfax is open seven days a week, including evenings. it has a wine bar and a couple of full-service restaurants. there is even live jazz on weekends during the summer. (the brazilian barbeque concession is a must for carniverous types. expect a long line at peak hours, but it's worth the wait.)

Old 08-31-2007, 06:35 PM
NDA

84 posts, read 433,038 times
I really enjoy going to Santa Monica early on Saturday mornings. It's cool, the air is fresh and the fresh produce has yet to be picked over. It all makes me feel very earthy.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 AM

636 posts, read 2,645,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post

the fairfax farmers' market and the grand central market downtown are both stationary. fairfax is open seven days a week, including evenings. it has a wine bar and a couple of full-service restaurants. there is even live jazz on weekends during the summer. (the brazilian barbeque concession is a must for carniverous types. expect a long line at peak hours, but it's worth the wait.)
Another difference.... at the Fairfax market lots of people a sitting around, chatting. And Grand Central market people primarily buy their stuff and leave.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,829 times
I've noticed that at Fairfax. People buy something to eat, then they sit and talk forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles