Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
It is funny how these stereotypes neve really hold up.
Funny, in sad way.

Breaking: Portland's not that cool, L.A. not that superficial - Dream City - Salon.com

Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I've found that most of the fake, self-absorbed types in Los Angeles are actually transplants from other cities or states (Looking at you NYC).
This is a prime example of the superficial LA attitude I was talking about. Some people LA are downright obsessed with where people are born.

As if the mere act of being secreted from a bloody uturus in an LA hospital prevents someone from becoming a d-bag.

I hate to break it to you, but Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Jim Rome, and the Florencia 13 did not transplant themselves from Des Moines, Iowa.

Those are 'home grown' locals. Everything they do and say just screams, "I'm from LA".

People from LA often just rub people the wrong way. When I was going to school at CAL it seemed like everyone liked the transplants and the foreign students. It was the Angelenos that seemed to annoy many people.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
This is a prime example of the superficial LA attitude I was talking about. Some people LA are downright obsessed with where people are born.

As if the mere act of being secreted from a bloody uturus in an LA hospital prevents someone from becoming a d-bag.

I hate to break it to you, but Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Jim Rome, and the Florencia 13 did not transplant themselves from Des Moines, Iowa.

Those are 'home grown' locals. Everything they do and say just screams, "I'm from LA".

People from LA often just rub people the wrong way. When I was going to school at CAL it seemed like everyone liked the transplants and the foreign students. It was the Angelenos that seemed to annoy many people.
I'm not from LA.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post

Way to go Salt Lake City! Doing your part to open markets for aspiring plastic surgeons everywhere!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Quote:

No, what they do and say screams, "I'm on TV." Their paychecks demand over-the-top silliness. Same thing the lads do on Jersey Shore, but we would be a bit amiss lumping the majority of NJ/NY residents into that sorta lot, no?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:

When I lived in SD, feisty No Cal sports fans/losers were the only ones to even care where in CA you were from. Thing is, I realized those were simply miserable people to begin with, and not at all representative of the MILLIONS of human beings living in the Bay Area, because drawing that conclusion would just be incredibly stupid.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM

459 posts, read 723,601 times
It's all an illusion. It is, as I believe someone already said, really a matter of envy (which does indicate any kind of "superficial LA attitude").
People have, as people will have of everything, perceptions about LA, based on facts and logic or otherwise. If everyone hates LA, it's because it falls short of THEIR expectations, not any kind of goal that the city or its residents actively tried for.
For instance, I and many of my friends live in LA, but we don't exemplify the attitude that everyone seems certain LA creates. We even wonder how people like Kim Kardashian, who has done nothing of note, are even famous.
And what Mr. NorCal Man says "screams, 'I'm from LA.'" is just a stereotype. It's not even a common one; considering that not all of LA is from Beverly Hills and a pampered, absent-minded starlet or a suave, womanizing actor who cheats in relationships--only the famous ones--it is easy to see why people would have the idea, but that does not make it excusable.
Thus, my real theory is that people dislike LA is that it doesn't feel right to them. It's not what they expected...(what they expected is a bucolic utopia, apparently)for it is in their mind.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM

203 posts, read 576,997 times
Quote:

If Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian were TRUE representatives for L.A., I'd be as rich as them, and then maybe I'd be just as superficial and stuck up. Buuuut they represent the "1%" here....which could also be the 1% that you all act like is 95% of the city, which is FALSE.

We really don't care where people are from. As a native, I love and hate people who are and aren't from here...there are issues that are unique to both sides. The thing about many transplants is that they move here SOLELY for what they see in movies and on TV, and many of them have entertainment aspirations of becoming Superstars. So the worst folks I know on this tip would be them, without question...people who grow up here probably see the good AND bad, and aren't as unrealistic on that "I'm gonna go to Hollywood and become Marilyn Monroe Pt. 2!! My director in HS said I have what it takes to be a star!!!" tip.

I can actually see some L.A. people being annoying, hell, I know I was when I was a college Freshman and was in Tallahassee, Florida...I didn't think I was better, but thought I was cooler for sure (I kinda was). But I outgrew that...most of us natives will tell you more negative than bragging about the city once we hit 23-25 and are on the "Real World" side of things (not the MTV show, either).

Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,085 times
Quote:

Again, more proof people up there have a bone to pick with us socal folks. I grew up in southern california and went to college here. Everyone annoyed me equally, I could care less if you were a transplant, foreigner or from SF. We don't give a rats ass about where you're from. That seems more to be a "nor cal" thing. Similar to what you're doing in this thread and every other thread where you get a chance to bash LA.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
If Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian were TRUE representatives for L.A., I'd be as rich as them, and then maybe I'd be just as superficial and stuck up. Buuuut they represent the "1%" here....which could also be the 1% that you all act like is 95% of the city, which is FALSE.

We really don't care where people are from. As a native, I love and hate people who are and aren't from here...there are issues that are unique to both sides. The thing about many transplants is that they move here SOLELY for what they see in movies and on TV, and many of them have entertainment aspirations of becoming Superstars. So the worst folks I know on this tip would be them, without question...people who grow up here probably see the good AND bad, and aren't as unrealistic on that "I'm gonna go to Hollywood and become Marilyn Monroe Pt. 2!! My director in HS said I have what it takes to be a star!!!" tip.

I can actually see some L.A. people being annoying, hell, I know I was when I was a college Freshman and was in Tallahassee, Florida...I didn't think I was better, but thought I was cooler for sure (I kinda was). But I outgrew that...most of us natives will tell you more negative than bragging about the city once we hit 23-25 and are on the "Real World" side of things (not the MTV show, either).
Jim Rome, Paris Hilton, and the Kardashians are real representitives of LA. They are just as real as you or anyone elese who lives there.

What income bracket some one falls into has nothing to do with it either. I don't think the Florencia 13 gang bangers fall into the top 1%. Nor do I think they fit the sunny, happy, "everyone is friendly" LA stereotype. In fact they seem to fit the more Racewar/Gangland LA stereotype.

The fact that you admitt you fancied(and still do) yourself as being cooler than your classmates because you were from LA is another example of the superficial attitude. You probably had no clue that most of the people in the dorms thought you were the "jerk from LA".

I don't really fault transplants for having stereotypical bad LA attitudes (as munch clearly showed in another post). If LA had a reputation for having a humble population (like say St. Paul) my guess is transplants would adopt corresponding attitudes. As the saying goes, when in Rome....

It's funny to see people get all worked up and hyper defensive. I never accused ALL angelenos of being a certian way. In fact, I believe I said the number of people who were cool and who were not and who is a native or not, was not quantifiable in this context.

Stereotypes are not universal, they are generalizations and they are vague, but they exist for a reason. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, I am just giving you my observation as to why I think people hate LA. You can take it as dogma or you can take it as fiction. Makes no difference to me. But your discussion is not really going to go anywhere if you say the stereotypical Angeleno "they're just like totally jealous dewd". You are only fooling yourself in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles