Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times

Advertisements

If you became obsessed due to movies filmed at Warner Brothers, you could say you're obsessed with Burbank, and if the cause was seeing MGM films, you could say you're obsessed with Culver City, but neither has the ring of obsessed with Hollywood. And, increasingly, Vancouver or Toronto seem to stand in for L.A. in films.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
I'd argue most of it is scuzzy. I hate the bars (not drinking establishments) everywhere around the perimeters of the shopping centers, plus those shopping centers are run down and haggard. Parking sucks and the streets are narrow and bumpy. The traffic is bad and you're making uncontrolled lefts most of the time.

The city is in dire need of more than the red line for transportation. Plus the city reeks of desperation. Most of the ego people talk about comes from here.

Sure there are pockets of niceness and obviously things to do. The city does have a certain "feeling." But to me I'd rather be tooling around in Los Feliz (a lot nicer area), where a lot of actual stars hang out, or West Hollywood (nicer as well), or even parts of Mid Wilshire. I feel safer in these areas, and there's not as many tourists; for essentially the same experience.

Again, there's a certain grit that comes with Hollywood I don't think outsiders expect; some find it charming, especially if you have big dreams and are living in a cool 1920's type apartment. And some find it tiring.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I find Hollywood quite interesting. I find myself over there quite often even though I live on the west side. I find alot of its architecture quite beautiful especially the older apts and homes. I like that its dense and walkable with lots of people walking which is lacking on the west side. Plus it was part of the golden age of Hollywood which I love. A friend gave me a nice tour book of LA with maps inside and I have found some unbelieveable parts and places in Hollywood that I have come to love and visit quite often.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
Hollywood, the neighborhood, isn't for everyone.

I love it. Sure it's annoying when they close the streets for a film premier and sometimes the tourists walk slow. Everywhere in the city is filled with homeless. There are just as many homeless in Santa Monica as in Hollywood. But there is always an energy to the place. It's not for everyone but it's the coolest place I've ever lived. I love the diversity of people and all the alternative looking people.

It's got a worn in vibe. It's an old neighborhood and it has history.

The only downside is when the trash from the surrounding areas come to party in the clubs.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Hollywood, the neighborhood, isn't for everyone.

I love it. Sure it's annoying when they close the streets for a film premier and sometimes the tourists walk slow. Everywhere in the city is filled with homeless. There are just as many homeless in Santa Monica as in Hollywood. But there is always an energy to the place. It's not for everyone but it's the coolest place I've ever lived. I love the diversity of people and all the alternative looking people.

It's got a worn in vibe. It's an old neighborhood and it has history.

The only downside is when the trash from the surrounding areas come to party in the clubs.
Haha exactly.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
I love geography, history, and studying exotic and foreign locales too. However I'd work on this before continuing, as it's doubtful your happiness will come from Hollywood or any other external factor for that matter...
Maybe I layed on the dramatics a little heavy in my original post. But a change of job is one external factor that would increase my happiness. And I'm working on that by completing college. These criminal looking crackheads come into my workplace and I'm actually scared to look at some of them. It's like they have this look of anger and no soul. They want one thing, as much money as they can get out of my drawer in exchange for their garbage "collateral". Hell, most of it is stolen anyway. I closed the door on one guy the other day and he starts cursing and saying he's going to beat me up when I leave. That's what I've lived with for the past 3 years, I actually get chest pains from the stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles